Yamaha O1v96 Issues

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey guys,

I have a bit of a sick digital desk here, wondering if anyone has any thoughts.  Here's the issues I'm observing:

1. Firmware is at v2.40 - trying to update it with their app, but it doesn't seem to wanna see the USB ports?  Tried multiple Mac OS's...will try Windows when I get back to the studio tomorrow.  Tried to update to 2.42 in case it could perhaps fix some of these issues?  Wishful thinking, maybe...

2. Dead preamp on chn 9 - thinking it's prob a chip, transistor or something...maybe easy to fix?

3. The biggest issue - all the analog outputs exhibit some sort of distortion (headphone, main out, omni out etc...every single one), almost sounds like aliasing or a digital clocking error (which it's not)...I tested the ADAT outputs, and the signal is as clean as can be and works just fine.  I'm wondering if it's a DA converter issue on the board?  I initially wondered if it was a PSU issue, but with all the other things working on the mixer, it doesn't seem likely?

Any thoughts much appreciated!
Thanks,
Sig

1. How certain are you that the USB port or interface chip is 100% ok? Looks like that's a Mitsubishi microcontroller.

2. Should be easy enough. If channel 10 is fine, it's quite unlikely the A/D converter is at fault. All that's upstream of it is a couple of transistors (2SC2240), and two opamps. Have you tried giving the insert jack a bit of a workout (plug and unplug a jack a few times)?

3. Get a scope on there, seeing what's going on would take a lot of the guess-work out of it. Or worst case, just plug a mixer output to an input of an audio interface, record that into a daw and zoom in a lot on the recorded waveform. A clean sine should do fine as a test-signal. Could be a host of potential factors, though. But if it's the same symptom on all the analog outputs, then it'll be something that's common to all of them.

1. Not certain at all about the USB chip...I'm gonna try with older OS, and possibly with Windows as well and see where I get...could be blown interface chip though, that would be a bummer...

2. Appears I can input signal into the insert jack, so just the mic preamp isn't working!

3. Scope will be my next course of action!  The analog output noise is super bizarre and distorted...I've never heard a sound like this in my life.  I guess it doesn't seem likely that all the DA cards would be damaged, it must be something else?

Thanks!
Sig

Just tried it on a Lion Macbook, as well as a Windows 7 PC...no go, the console won't connect - tried several USB cables as well. 

I'm starting to think something fried this desk, hence why so many things aren't working...?

1- Maybe you need to install a usb-midi driver that you found on yamaha downloads to properly conect the 01v96 through usb. Not sure about that...
2- Normally the opamps can fail and some condenser must be bad for the DC coming out of the opamp but with that problem normally you stillcan hear something on the channel
3-I saw some 01v96 with problems on the DCboard that can cause noises on all audio. The problematic board was the one that has one layer. Inside, on the bottom  of desk. The problematic ones that I found had problems with solder grounds or other things, usually. You can try to test their voltages or disassembly to inspect because its easy to disassembly.

You sir, are a frickin' genius!  We live in such a usb class compliant world right now that I entirely didn't even think that the USB driver had to be installed first!!

One issue down, few more to go - I'll look into that other stuff.

Thanks!!
Sig

Siegfried Meier said:
almost sounds like aliasing or a digital clocking error (which it's not)...
How can you be sure? Although the ADAT output uses the same clocks as the DA's, you cannot exclude that they are probably transmitted via buffers; one of these buffers may be dead, or its output shorted.

I have a problem with total distortion where my console needs rebooting a few times until gone. It has become gamble every time I start it up. Does anyone have any ideas to what it could be?

Back