Yamaha PM2000 Questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistakes_inc

Hi everybody,

I recently picked up a PM2000 I'm working to get in full working order, so I'm looking for some advice from anybody with knowledge of these boards.

Firstly, I'm missing the Foldback / Headphones module, and that has been impossible to track down, so any creative ways to work around that would be nice to hear.
At some point, one will hopefully show up, but in the meantime, can anybody think of any alternative? I'm even considering using the similar module from my M1516 and reworking that to go into the PM2000 if that is at all possible.

The second area I would like to hear about is the soldering of jumpers on the channel terminals. This has not been an issue so far, but I believe that it's more of an inevitability and I would like to address it now while I have the free time. I've heard and seen this mentioned, but have not found any information of the specifics. I would like to get started on that while I have all the modules out for a deep clean--pots, faders etc--until I get this fully wired up and installed at my studio.

Lastly, any improvement ideas I would like to hear about as well. I know of the EQ and Solo mods, which I'll be adding, but anything else to help this board shine?

Thanks all!

The second area I would like to hear about is the soldering of jumpers on the channel terminals. This has not been an issue so far, but I believe that it's more of an inevitability and I would like to address it now while I have the free time. I've heard and seen this mentioned, but have not found any information of the specifics. I would like to get started on that while I have all the modules out for a deep clean--pots, faders etc--until I get this fully wired up and installed at my studio.

Thanks all!
Are you talking about the backplane that the modules plug into? I am supposed to go and see a client with this very issue this week. I will tray and report back, if it happens.

I've only used extensively the PM3000 and PM3500 and it was in a Live sound context.
The PM1000 I know from this forum, as it's a discreet circuit and people call it the "Japanese Neve".

The PM2000 I dont know what it is, is it a studio or live board?

Do you have photos?

Are you talking about the backplane that the modules plug into? I am supposed to go and see a client with this very issue this week. I will tray and report back, if it happens.
Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m thinking of. I didn’t experience any issues when testing the board out, but I know this is a common issue. I would love to hear what you learn about it. Thanks!

If this client happens to have an extra Foldback module I would loooooo e to buy it from them.

I've only used extensively the PM3000 and PM3500 and it was in a Live sound context.
The PM1000 I know from this forum, as it's a discreet circuit and people call it the "Japanese Neve".

The PM2000 I dont know what it is, is it a studio or live board?

Do you have photos?
I believe these boards were a bit of both, but they were definitely marketed as studio consoles. They just have a weird matrix section instead of a dedicated two bus.

Yes, the “Japanese Neve” or “Japaneve” names get tossed around, though my understanding is that these were modeled after API—though that’s not to say they are up to that standard. By most accounts, the PM2000 is their finest board.

The PM1000 I believe is without insert points as well, but I’m not 100% on that.

the pm-2000 is often called the JAPI-api because it has a D.O.A. that has the 2520 foot print. It was a live desk but made it's way into studios and guy like fletcher from mercenary really liked their sonic.

Well, at minimum, it was mentioned as a recording console in Yamaha adverts.

Looks pretty good,
I didn't know about this console.

It should be quite heavy, so for Live sound it was probably too heavy to move around but I also don't know how heavy were the Live sound consoles back in the day, probably all of them were quite heavy.
But it has a place in a vintage studio for sure

What was your workflow? Because, for example, if you're tracking to a 24 track machine, it would be a challenge. Those machines were built in an era when consoles went without saying.

"Mixing to tape" like mistakes_inc refered means mixing to stereo and recording that to 2 track tape, in my case 1/4 inch tape.
Workflow was mixing in Protools to tape. I also recorded the mix at the same time in a digital format, I would then choose between the mix recorded to tape and the one recorded to digital.
The mix recorded to Digital sounded better 95% of the times so I stopped using the tape machine.

If "Mixing from multitrack tape" was what was meant, then I take the tape machine outs and mix in Protools.

Anyway this thread is about the PM2000 which looks tasty like I said before so let's not get sidetracked, radardoug decided also to enter the discussion which is never good news to any thread

I was referring to recording to multitrack tape, and then mixing down to two track tape. I know that can be controversial these days :) but it is my preferred method of recording and mixing music.

Hi Ike,

Did you end up checking out the console for your client last week? Would love to get any insights if you did some work on one. Thank you

Latest posts

Back