Yamaha pm5d not booting

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richiyobs

Hi folks
A friend of mine, the owner of a rental company has a pm5d is not booting after 2 years of rest.
He said if I can fix it, will be mine!
At turn on the display stops, so I did the hard reset and inizialized memories.... It started, but only the left side, the channels part....
Master section stays off, now I can navigate with the track pad, but nothing else on this logic section
Any suggestions please... On what to check?
Thanks for your attention
Best
Richi

Attachments

• 0_IMG-20220319-WA0004.jpg
    0_IMG-20220319-WA0004.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 19
Looks like a PSU related problem to me. Open it up and maybe try to reseat all the connectors first. Seems like the power gets into the board from the external supply but it not distributed properly inside.

I can share the service manual if you don't have it yourself.

Thanks for quick reply and suggestions.... I had the same idea..
Yes I own a service manual... Found on elektrotanya.com
Hope it s the right one
Best

Is the cmos battery on the main pcb still good? Page 50 of the service manual of the RH.
I dunno if thats just for the show files, or the real time clock, or what else, but 2 years is rough on a battery.

Is the cmos battery on the main pcb still good? Page 50 of the service manual of the RH.
I dunno if thats just for the show files, or the real time clock, or what else, but 2 years is rough on a battery.
Thanks... But I just did it.... Replaced lithium battery with Cr2032...
My first attempt

looking for DSP circuit board for pm5d .... code 2NAP-WA77130-1, service manual pag 98
any suggestions please, or have to contact directly Yamaha?
Thanx for your attention
best

Still fighting with the old pm5d... Same boot problem....
Reading again the service manual found there is a check program
PM5DTST_user. EXE
can t find anything!
It s advised to download to Ysiss homepage... Also this no way
Any suggestions please?
Where to download this app?

I could not find a source for that file after searching for a while. I was able to get a very old MIDI implementation sheet from Roland just by asking their service department.

Maybe you can ask Yamaha at their Service and Repair contact address from their Italian webpage:

Riparazione e assistenza

I don't have a boot problem with mine, but am interested as well. If there's something I can help with, such as running a service program against a working PM5D, please let me know. It must be something that is verified/can be verified to be safe to use, of course :)

Edit: PM5d won't boot mentions I2S I2C being used to communicate between different parts of the board. Not sure whether that thread's symptoms are germane to your board's issue, but HTH. Maybe a post over at soundforums.net would get the attention of someone who can help further. Just a thought.

Edit again: LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board in case you didn't already have the link :)

Last edited:
Still fighting with the old pm5d... Same boot problem....
Reading again the service manual found there is a check program
PM5DTST_user. EXE
can t find anything!
It s advised to download to Ysiss homepage... Also this no way
Any suggestions please?
Where to download this app?
You might get lucky with the way back machine… try searching there.

Just tried it now.... I don't know the http....
In the manual is only advised to go to Ysiss homepage... But there s nothing more... No link

At Brg1 the tension going to dsp was 1.3 instead of 3.3... Fixed but same story... Still no boot
An experienced collegue putted his hands on.... Hope started!

Today sacrified a good pm5 to check the cards on the not booting one...
Attached the main boards... They are different! Is it due to different release?
Dms was into the non booting... The other one it s from the working one...
So putted the Dms into the good one and everything is ok.... Fast boot and navigation....
At this point will focus on the dsp cards...
Any suggestions please?
Thanks for your attention
Best

Attachments

• IMG-20221128-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20221128-WA0007.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20221128-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20221128-WA0006.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 1
I have a PM5D-RH opened up right now. Is your unit RH, or is it non-RH? I can't quite tell (it kind of looks like it's an RH from here, but the back top cover is off and there isn't a lot of what's underneath showing up).

Edit: I apologize, but I can't tell a ton from the additional two photos. I'll take a few detailed photos of the DMS board in mine.

There's a photo in the link below, that shows a board labeled DMS2:

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/150573-yamaha-wa77120r-main-pcb-assembly-for-pm5d
This makes it seem like there are three different main board assemblies (or daughterboards) involved, then...argh!

Last edited:
Both console are pm5d standard
Own 6x Ad8hr and aes cards
I d like to use the damaged one for stage monitoring... Infact this summer builded a splitter into Ad8 rack based on shielded cat 5....
12 spider 4ch each instead of stage boxes and 2xLk85 for signal splitting ... No problems even with small format cheap console

Back