Adapting Neve 1783/2 as Outboard, progress

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velo

GDIY Supporter
My goal is/was to put this Neve 1783 in a box with a PSU and XLR connectors so I can experience vintage discrete op-amps, transformers, and unity gain stereo width mix. So far so good.

After etching some circuit boards and reverse engineering some of the pin-outs, fixing a broken pin on one of the op amps (oh the horror), tracing down two wires that had become separated from where they were soldered, checking all in-circuit ESR on all caps, all fine, just a few minor electrolytic caps exceeding tolerance on the high side, I've managed to get this thing producing unity gain via stereo pairs of XLR in/out on the scope. I can also see some harmonics on the spectrum analyzer. It looks like it works. I've yet to wire it to my RME interface, however. Soon.

I've one question though, regarding pin "H" on the Amphenol connector: I am not using it. What is it?

Internally pin H is soldered to both the (+) side of the 470µF electrolytic cap and cap has (-) soldered to the output transformer. Pin H is also soldered to blue (ch.1) or green (ch.2) wire that disappears into the maze of bundled wiring. So many wires. :)

Two channels, pins wired like this:

A +IN
B
C
D -IN
E 0V many blue traces heading into bundles
F
H blue (ch.1) green (ch.2) wire to somewhere, also (+) side of 470µF cap to output transformer
J
K
L
M
N
P
R +OUT
S
T -OUT
U +24 IN
V chassis

From some notes I have from somewhere (?) I jotted down that Neve 1272 and 1073 H/F is +/- Line In. On this 1783 unit, however there's nothing internally wired to "F" and as indicated above, "H" connected to 470µF connected to output transformer and blue or green wire. Input? Output?

In some schematics from other devices I've noticed around the same area of those pins there are gain boost RC circuit specs but I don't think that is relevant here.

Some more info:

I fed it 100mV 1kHz sine wave input signal into both channels and got same back out plus harmonics from pins R and T. There was a slight attenuation.

I raised the input sine wave to 1V line level and got back a smidge more than 1V plus harmonics, no clipping from pins R and T.

Lets say somewhere around 1V there is unity gain. Below that there is attenuation. Above that there is modest gain. Pins A and D seem to be able to handle line input. I was curious about this because on some Neve devices ABCDE are for mic input and H/F are for line input. There are no input transformer windings options, just A and D go to the input trans, I think.

In two of the photos of one channel you can see red wire soldered to pin A and large black cap soldered to pin H.

I built an XLR test/patch box for experimenting before I make the permanent case. So I am wondering if I should have an additional XLR connection for pin H and just what that is.

I guess I'll connect scope to H and see what I get as output. (But if I did that first you all would not have had as much fun reading all this.)

Attachments

• 73560932429__694DEC8F-D9CB-418D-A5D5-230AFC335CDE.JPG.jpeg
    73560932429__694DEC8F-D9CB-418D-A5D5-230AFC335CDE.JPG.jpeg
    584.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 73552225023__0260B98F-D139-4369-BF55-5DADA44EF917.JPG.jpeg
    73552225023__0260B98F-D139-4369-BF55-5DADA44EF917.JPG.jpeg
    759.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 73345242859__AFD3163F-955A-4BCA-893E-9D91C0F7108F.JPG.jpeg
    73345242859__AFD3163F-955A-4BCA-893E-9D91C0F7108F.JPG.jpeg
    690.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2578.JPG
    IMG_2578.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2579.JPG
    IMG_2579.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2580.JPG
    IMG_2580.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I am still trying to figure this out. Since the H pin is ahead of the output transformer I suppose this must be coming direct out, out of the op-amp.

Attachments

• IMG_2585.jpg
    IMG_2585.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Do you have any documentation?

Cheers

Ian
No docs. It was a cold drop of equipment from a friend who bought it from a friend who . . .

I tried contacting Neve. My friend had spoken with Rupert's former assistant at one point, years ago, specifically about this module. I don't think they could locate anything other than distant memories, but this is hearsay.

No docs. It was a cold drop of equipment from a friend who bought it from a friend who . . .

I tried contacting Neve. My friend had spoken with Rupert's former assistant at one point, years ago, specifically about this module. I don't think they could locate anything other than distant memories, but this is hearsay.
Most Neve modules have a pre transformer unbalanced output. They're used for sending signal to other modules for things like aux sends and monitoring. Looks like that's what your pin H is here. It doesn't need to be connected to anything, just us the input & output transformer connections and the power and you should be on your way

Most Neve modules have a pre transformer unbalanced output. They're used for sending signal to other modules for things like aux sends and monitoring. Looks like that's what your pin H is here. It doesn't need to be connected to anything, just us the input & output transformer connections and the power and you should be on your way
Thanks for that. I'd wired up a back panel without any regard for pin H. Since we want the full color of this box, I'll just go ahead with that but leave room for future generations to poke some extra mod in there. This will likely be connected via balanced digital routing or inline with some other mastering gear.

However, if we were to use the unbalanced output, I suppose I'd just have that paired with the 0V from pin E and shielded with pin V....or, perhaps that really depends on what it would be wired to. Maybe I should reach for my balanced-to-unbalanced chart to contemplate all possible wirings. If I really needed some absolute solution I could wire shield to V and provide a ground lift switch. Probably overkill for current needs.

Back