Shure SR107 Discrete EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That output transformer is strange. The block diagram shows that the “line output” tap is -2dB (so something close to a 1:1 or 1.25:1 turns ratio), but it says the “mic output” is -52dB!

-52dB is a huge ratio…something like 400:1. If we assume that the primary impedance is around 10K (it really shouldn’t be any higher if it has a something near a 1:1 tap for line out), the output impedance of the mic winding would be something like 0.0625ohms. That can’t be right, can it?

That output transformer is strange. The block diagram shows that the “line output” tap is -2dB (so something close to a 1:1 or 1.25:1 turns ratio), but it says the “mic output” is -52dB!

-52dB is a huge ratio…something like 400:1. If we assume that the primary impedance is around 10K (it really shouldn’t be any higher if it has a something near a 1:1 tap for line out), the output impedance of the mic winding would be something like 0.0625ohms. That can’t be right, can it?
I just picked up one I'll measure it.

Ok just measure the Transformer here's the actual data:
Primary (blue/red on schematic) = 66.4 Ohms
Secondary (white/green on schematic) = 66.4 Ohms
Secondary (brown/yellow) = .4 Ohms

For the "Mic line" output feature (brown/yellow):
Using .078 to determine turns a=ratio that makes it a 12.884 :1 step down for the mic...

If you read the manual it has a setting to run it out kind of like an inline EQ for consoles that use a "Link" jack it outputs a really low mic level there.

Ok just measure the Transformer here's the actual data:
Primary (blue/red on schematic) = 66.4 Ohms
Secondary (white/green on schematic) = 66.4 Ohms
Secondary (brown/yellow) = .4 Ohms

For the "Mic line" output feature (brown/yellow):
Using .078 to determine turns a=ratio that makes it a 12.884 :1 step down for the mic...

If you read the manual it has a setting to run it out kind of like an inline EQ for consoles that use a "Link" jack it outputs a really low mic level there.
Huh. 12.884:1 is only around -22dB, not -52dB. I wonder why they marked it that way.

IMG_1617.jpeg

Huh. 12.884:1 is only around -22dB, not -52dB. I wonder why they marked it that way.

View attachment 128421

I have no idea the input transformer is:

Primary= 27 Ohms
Secondary = @ 600 ohms...I double checked its wired that way...
Green/yellow to XLR= 27 Ohms....black and white to amplifier board = 597 Ohms...1:4.7 step up...

Possible error in the schematic data?

From schematic, level pre transformer is 0.21 Volts. Mic output Post transformer says 0.6 mV.
That calculates as -50.88 dB.

From schematic, level pre transformer is 0.21 Volts. Mic output Post transformer says 0.6 mV.
That calculates as -50.88 dB.
That's what I'm questioning. A 0.21V to 0.6mV drop would require a transformer with a turns ratio of 350:1

@iomegaman said he measured it at ~13:1

That's a big discrepancy.

Also, @abbey road d enfer (or other admin) - I shouldn't have commented on this in the first place (I didn't realize I was in the Technical Docs section), sorry. Is it possible to move this conversation elsewhere?

Latest posts

Back