calrec CM654 psu

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frits

hi there I am working on a pair of calrec 654 mic's these are the calrec's with the seperate PSU, the problem is the PSU stoped living!

the number on the PSU is PU622 and I do not have any schematics

does anyone have a solution for this?
(I heard there is an adaptor cable for it, but how does that thing work?)

thanks for replying!

A bit more info from
http://members.aol.com/mihartkopf/calrec.htm#CM_654

Condenser Mic
45..50V
2.6mA consumption

From another post by Mr Hartkopf
At the 600 series the power supply can be either unbalanced or by using
the supply device CP 622 (110V / 220 V switchable). The supply connector cable, a 6 m DIN cableCL 661 are additionally available. Also available are coloured windscreeens, mic clamps and cases for two mics, supply device and cables.

The XLR connector for the 652 C has the pin assignment:
#1: GND
#2: Audio out
#3: + 45 ... 50 V

In the paper the DIN connector for the 652 D has the assignment:
#1: Audio out
#2: + 45 ... 50 V
#3: GND
But I don't believe it, because all the DIN connectors I've ever seen had
GND at pin #2.

And some more interesting points
Make sure you get the calrec power supply with them - while they do run from 48volts, they are not balanced and they cannot use phantom power as they stand.

While not being balanced limits some of their usefulness, the signal
level is quite high, and, away from things like lighting controllers you
can use reasonable cable lengths.

>Their connector is a screw thread 3 pin din, if you can't get hold of
>the PSU get back to me and I'll give you the pin connections.

Some of them (eg the pair I've got) have a standard XLR3 but the
connections/power arrangements are Calrec-specific as you pointed out.

I have details on how to do this on 3 separate diagrams, which have at least 2 configerations (can only find 2 of them at the moment). In all case they require a transformer to separate the power from the signal.

one has pin 1 ground the other pin 3 ground.

Xformer.gif

600seriesMod.gif

These mics are impossible to open up because Calrec glued them together. I was trying to open mine up to see what was wrong with them until Ashley Stiles told me about the glue.

thanks guy's i will get the broken psu tomorow and if i understand it the psu got the transformers in it (hoopfuly they are ok).
I assume the psu is simple to repair or is it adviseble to let them run on the normal phantom with the tranformers?

fritz

I`m not sure how the mains PSU works because I`ve never seen one.

The 2 mics I got of ebay a few years back were supplied with a home made box ( withe sowter transformers in it) to get the power from the phantom of the desk input, which is what the daigrams are for. This arrangement seemed to work fine until the mics went wrong.

Hi! Resurrecting this thread because I just found one of these mics and i also found this:
http://www.saturn-sound.com/products/power%20supply%20units.htm#Calrec%20600%20series

How do you suppose this is made? It surely doesn't contain a transformer.
I don't really want to put 50 buck for a mic that maybe doesn't work.

Also, has anyone found the truth about the pinout? Because I've read PIN1=GND, PIN2=+48, PIN3= OUT in another thread, this is getting confusing.

I can't remember what the pinouts were but they were different for 652C (XLR) and 652D (Tuchel).

The 652 circuit is simply a FET source follower driving an emitter follower with electrolytic capacitor to Audio Out.

The 48V polarizes the capsule and feeds the FET+emitter follower via a resistor and capacitor.

GND will be connected to the mike body.
Audio Out will be fairly high resistance to GND
48V should be the lower resistance to GND

Saturn Sound Adaptor Lead

Probably 2 x 2k2 from XLR p2&3 to a 10u 63V cap then to 48V on Tuchel

Audio Out via 10u 63V to XLR p2
XLR p3 to GND via 10u 63V + 10R
GND to XLR p1

Do all this at the Tuchel end if you can fit all the bits in.

Yes.  But you'll need another 10u 63V from the junction of the 2 x 2k2 to GND too.

It might be worth asking Ashley at http://www.saturn-sound.com/ to confirm the pinouts of the 600 series.  He probably won't tell you how his cable is wired cos he sells them ... but the pinouts used to be on all 600 series brochures.

Latest posts

Back