metal film or Carbon film in 1272?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Snoid

Just a question,

I'm building Fabio's 1272 boards and was comparing the SCA BOM for the resistors to order. I notice the SCA calls for some carbon film resistors as well as metal film. From a noise standpoint, I'd say stay with metal film...but is there some tone mojo going on with the carbon films that the metals don't have?

Am I anal, or what?

Tod

[quote author="Mr. Snoid"]
Am I anal, or what?[/quote]

Yes, lol

Some people refuse to use carbon because they're 5%, but let's think about what it is that we are cloning, and what was available/used when it was first made...

But that's just my two cents

i think sometimes cf is spec'd if the value/power of the resistor is unavailable in mf. but who really cares. build the thing with whatever you can find... and then later if you start getting really annoyed and crazy you can put mf in.. like ptk said...think of all the shit out there just chock full of carbon comp. and people seem to like it just fine. stop fretting about resistors and build!!

I'm pretty sure that Neve BA273's use metal film throughout with the exception of the low value power resistor. At least the ones I've seen, were 2% precision (do they even do that level of precision in carbon film), and were blue...as opposed to the typical carbon film light brown.

Personally, I'd use metal film where possible, and carbon film when metal film isn't readily available in the required power/value. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The real mojo in the 1272 is the iron!

Cheers,

Kris

The sound of resistors!
Two camps, carbon and metal film.
The AB carbons are no longer made and the MF's Neve used are also no longer made.
Find old stock or start seaching for a modern sonic equivalent?
Sorr

Latest posts

Back