Cloning a 1968 Silicon Fuzzrite

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will do. It might be a couple of days before I visit my workshop again and I can pick it up.
The one on reverb looks pristine, and I wonder what those transistors are, they look different from the TZ-82 in mine (well, my friend's).
I'll post pictures and measurements of the enclosure after I've picked up the pedal from the workshop.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 0
Ok, I finally got around taking pictures and physical measurements of the original for you Rock. Since you specifically asked about how it was bent: the sides, left, right, front (with the control knobs) and back are bent down at right (90°) angles from the top side (which has the footswitch). The left and right sides have an additional "lip" bent inwards to which the bottom plate is attached by four screws. The material appears to be brushed steel (stainless or coated), ~1.2mm thickness (likely 50 mil?). The bottom plate is not brushed.
The measurements are in the last of the attached images. I just did a quick drawing in Inkscape, I hope together with the photos it's clear enough.

Cheers
L

Attachments

• IMG_1047.jpg
    IMG_1047.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1048.jpg
    IMG_1048.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1049.jpg
    IMG_1049.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1051.jpg
    IMG_1051.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1052.jpg
    IMG_1052.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
  • bitmap.png
    bitmap.png
    120.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi Lenny, can you do me a favor please? I am interested in the dimensions and construction of the housing. It would be nice if you could publish them here and also show a few photos where you can see how the box is bent.
I don't understand your concern with the mechanical construction of the pedal. I'm sure you know it has no consequences on the performance.

I don't understand your concern with the mechanical construction of the pedal. I'm sure you know it has no consequences on the performance.
Of course, this is all about the look! I've recently developed a strange interest in sheet metal work. I'm particularly interested in how the original box is bent. I've discovered a sheet metal shop here where I live and they have great bending machines, maybe they'll let me check it out in exchange for a bottle of good wine?

I've already been allowed to loot their garbage can for aluminum sheet metal, here's a small selection. Jackpot!
Very nice guys!
1000027768.jpg
I would never have thought that I would be doing sheet metal work voluntarily and with fun!🤠

Ok, I finally got around taking pictures and physical measurements of the original for you Rock. Since you specifically asked about how it was bent: the sides, left, right, front (with the control knobs) and back are bent down at right (90°) angles from the top side (which has the footswitch). The left and right sides have an additional "lip" bent inwards to which the bottom plate is attached by four screws. The material appears to be brushed steel (stainless or coated), ~1.2mm thickness (likely 50 mil?). The bottom plate is not brushed.
The measurements are in the last of the attached images. I just did a quick drawing in Inkscape, I hope together with the photos it's clear enough.

Cheers
L
That is really a nice pedal. I think the rubber feet are not original. What do you think? The original print was probably not so durable, you often see that with the old originals that it is barely recognizable or completely gone. Still very pretty, I will try to create a bending plan of it. Thanks again!

That is really a nice pedal. I think the rubber feet are not original. What do you think? The original print was probably not so durable, you often see that with the old originals that it is barely recognizable or completely gone. Still very pretty, I will try to create a bending plan of it. Thanks again!
Indeed the feet are not original. When my friend brought me the pedal there were only three rubber feet left, and two of those were different from the third - talk about wobbling... But yeah, the new ones don't fit too well.
And the printing is unfortunately completely gone, but as you say, apparently not uncommon with these old fuzzrites.

Please do show us pictures of the finished enclosure :)

Two friends visited me and tested my P2P Fuzzrite clone (still without case). Now they want one too, of course. I'll make a PCB for the boys, then they can just solder it together themselves. Almost finished, it's designed so that you can use different components that you have or find. Kind of Upcycling platform.
Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 22-20-05 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png

[No idea where this coloured schematic came from?] -- Is calling this schematic "coloured" considered to be "racist"???
[connection '1' of the 500k (RV1) pot needs to be connected to the node where C4 & R5 meet] -- My bad!!! This is what happens when trying to draw schematics at 3:00 AM!!! FIXED!!!.....

View attachment 127193

[Or was this correctly traced from a really-built-like-this-and-also-nice-sounding sample?] -- This was redrawn from the PDF attachment included in Post #1.

/
There's also the fact that the node that connects both emitters and R5 is floating and that C5 is connected across the output dumping most of the signal to ground ;)

L

Latest posts

Back