[BUILD] 1176LN Rev D DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hairball Audio said:
With the unit disconnected and the plug out of the IEC, locate the L terminal on the outside of the IEC and test continuity the L terminal on the inside of the IEC.  Do the same for N and the G terminals.  Maybe your IEC is damaged.

Stumped.
i am looking for my 560 k resistor for r9.  My fluke mm read .56 ive never seen it read point something.  Is this the 560 k and if so why does it read .56? It doesnt even have the k after it. Thanks

offthewallstudio said:
Hairball Audio said:
With the unit disconnected and the plug out of the IEC, locate the L terminal on the outside of the IEC and test continuity the L terminal on the inside of the IEC.  Do the same for N and the G terminals.  Maybe your IEC is damaged.

Stumped.
i am looking for my 560 k resistor for r9.  My fluke mm read .56 ive never seen it read point something.  Is this the 560 k and if so why does it read .56? It doesnt even have the k after it. Thanks

What's the color code say?

dwilko said:
Howdy All,

First post… sorry if I've done it in the wrong place or using the wrong method - please educate me if this turns out to wrong!!

First build - Hairball Rev D… successful calibration completed.  However, the attack/release pots are not working as they are supposed to… I can hear some small variation when adjusting the attack but not the same snap as the UA revisions I've used before. 

More concerning, the release appears to do nothing at all…  not only is there no sonic change as far as I can hear, but the meter ballistics don't appear to change regardless of the setting of the pot.

I went over the wiring last night and everything's connected to where it's supposed to be and the soldering seemed ok to me… obviously somethings not right tho...

Where do I start with tracking down the source of the problem? Please explain in a very 'for dummies' way!!

Cheers,

Dave

Are the resistors and caps on those pots correct?  The release should have a pretty drastic effect on the ballistics.

Hairball Audio said:
offthewallstudio said:
Hairball Audio said:

Stumped.

im sorry i dont think there is a color code. If there is how do i identify it? Looks just like a little resistor

Hairball Audio said:
offthewallstudio said:
Hairball Audio said:

Stumped.

also I'm reading about soldering the ratio PCB to the main PCB with all of the attachments on the PCB. It says to solder them into place. Is that accurate? I have the mounting brackets to the PCP do I simply just screw them in?

Attachments

• 1429371411263-253708741.jpg
    1429371411263-253708741.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 27
Hairball Audio said:
dwilko said:
Howdy All,

First post… sorry if I've done it in the wrong place or using the wrong method - please educate me if this turns out to wrong!!

First build - Hairball Rev D… successful calibration completed.  However, the attack/release pots are not working as they are supposed to… I can hear some small variation when adjusting the attack but not the same snap as the UA revisions I've used before. 

More concerning, the release appears to do nothing at all…  not only is there no sonic change as far as I can hear, but the meter ballistics don't appear to change regardless of the setting of the pot.

I went over the wiring last night and everything's connected to where it's supposed to be and the soldering seemed ok to me… obviously somethings not right tho...

Where do I start with tracking down the source of the problem? Please explain in a very 'for dummies' way!!

Cheers,

Dave

Are the resistors and caps on those pots correct?  The release should have a pretty drastic effect on the ballistics.

Thanks for your reply, Mike! I checked… the caps and resistors were all ok… I decided to just re-solder all the points on the pots just in case… problem solved - release working as it should… and that attack is so fast!! Must have had a bad joint on the release, not sure which one, but don't care anymore - I'm loving it...
Thanks again for your help!!

Cheers,

Dave

[/quote]

[/quote]
On the ratio pcb i just noticed that r3 is missing.  I dont even see this r3 in the bag of resistors.  What value is it and or is it supposed to be empty?

Hairball Audio said:
dwilko said:
Howdy All,

Cheers,

Dave

for  spot r3 I have no value for the resistor that goes there this is for the ratio PCB board I posted a photo but I'm not sure if it worked. Is anything supposed to be there in what is the value? I have no value on the resistor bag or on the pcb. Thanks

offthewallstudio said:
Hairball Audio said:
dwilko said:
Howdy All,

Cheers,

Dave

for  spot r3 I have no value for the resistor that goes there this is for the ratio PCB board I posted a photo but I'm not sure if it worked. Is anything supposed to be there in what is the value? I have no value on the resistor bag or on the pcb. Thanks

Covered in the build guide.

http://www.hairballaudio.com/blog/d_assembly/revd/populating-the-pcb/

It's right there.  Read it.

Hairball Audio said:
offthewallstudio said:
Hairball Audio said:
dwilko said:
Howdy All,

Cheers,

Dave

I'm finally done with the 1176 all they need to do is calibrated although I have this one looks like ground wire coming from the output transformer that I did not see you in the thread on what to do with it here isa photo thanks

offthewallstudio said:
Hairball Audio said:
offthewallstudio said:
Hairball Audio said:
dwilko said:
Howdy All,

Cheers,

Dave

I'm finally done with the 1176 all they need to do is calibrated although I have this one looks like ground wire coming from the output transformer that I did not see you in the thread on what to do with it here isa photo thanks

If your output transformer channel from has continuity to the enclosure you can just clip it off.

Hairball Audio said:
offthewallstudio said:
Hairball Audio said:
offthewallstudio said:
Hairball Audio said:
dwilko said:
Howdy All,

Cheers,

Dave

If your output transformer channel from has continuity to the enclosure you can just clip it off.
I have noticed that people have their input/output attack really sports set pointing differently in the HSE then the way I do. Is this a critical step? I basically have mine set so that one on the front panel I turn it counterclockwise its in the 0 position and when I have it in the clockwise position and it sent at maximum let me know if that is correct or if I should have them facing the same way other people have been facing thanks this might be a silly question but like I said I'm new to this and I'm done and it lights up and it works and it doesn't smoke yay

Hairball Audio said:
offthewallstudio said:
Hairball Audio said:
offthewallstudio said:
Hairball Audio said:
dwilko said:
Howdy All,

Cheers,

Dave

Attachments

• 1430346099694-1801660514.jpg
    1430346099694-1801660514.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Anyone got any suggestions to solve this ..

I've completed build and calibration of Hairball RevD. Everything works fine except Ratio buttons 4:1 and 8:1 disable compression / don't work.

I've triple checked ratio board R values and wiring to PCB.

With no signal being input, DC's at PCB pad 21 (grey wire from ratio board pad 21) are ..
20:1 = -6.71
12:1 = -3.67
8:1  = -2.54
4:1  = -1.59

Are these values OK? Could this be a QBias calibration issue? It calibrated fine.

Very puzzling!

FairFax said:

I've completed build and calibration of Hairball RevD. Everything works fine except Ratio buttons 4:1 and 8:1 disable compression / don't work.

With no signal being input, DC's at PCB pad 21 (grey wire from ratio board pad 21) are ..

Are these values OK? Could this be a QBias calibration issue? It calibrated fine.

Very puzzling!

If the unit works at 12:1 and 20:1 and you calibrated as suggested with 20:1 there's no reason why it shouldn't calibrate.

The DC values are only half the story. What AC voltages are you seeing at point 22 (C17), the input of the GR Control Amp as you switch from the higher ratios to the lower?

Hairball Audio said:

Stumped.
so I'm doing the calibration now I have adjusted my ProTools 1000hz in the level of the signal noise generator has negative 8.1 my interface level reads negative 11.07 I have adjusted the signal generator level to make my multi meter read. 775 vac between pins 2 & 3 however where is my input knob supposed to be is it supposed to be midpoint 24 mark? And the next steps it talks about it being the 24 position but where it tells me to receive the. 775 EAC it does not say where to have my input knob. I am very new to this I'm almost done explain to me and basics if you can :) Thanks

Hairball Audio said:

Stumped.
I'm having troubles with the third step of a calibration the 10 DB drop for some reason I can't get it to drop a lot but it doesn't drop enough to 10 so I take my input level and I bring it down a bit and then I take the short off of pad 22 and it does not give me a 10 DB drop and give me almost no drive please help

mnats said:
FairFax said:

Very puzzling!

If the unit works at 12:1 and 20:1 and you calibrated as suggested with 20:1 there's no reason why it shouldn't calibrate.

The DC values are only half the story. What AC voltages are you seeing at point 22 (C17), the input of the GR Control Amp as you switch from the higher ratios to the lower?

Thanks for replying.

Aha! I see there is an issue here, with no recordable voltage at the 8:1 and 4:1 ratios (see below).

With a 1kHz tone input at .775VAC, AC value's at PCB pad 22  are ..
20:1 = .448
12:1 = .217
8:1  = .0
4:1  = .0

Any thoughts?

FairFax said:
mnats said:
FairFax said:

Very puzzling!

Thanks for replying.

Aha! I see there is an issue here, with no recordable voltage at the 8:1 and 4:1 ratios (see below).

Any thoughts?

Same voltages at C17.

FairFax said:
Thanks for replying.

Any thoughts?

Probably one of the three dot points listed in the FAQ linked from the first post of this thread.

Back