slow rise phantom power schem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hats off to you John, that's some damn fine racking job! :grin: :thumb:

810$ is way too little, you could sell it for double that in Europe :razz:

Thnax for all the info you're pouring out! :thumb: :thumb:

[quote author="sismofyt"]
810$ is way too little, you could sell it for double that in Europe :razz:
[/quote]

really? i'd say it's the other way round. raw v72 modules are not uncommon here in germany and go at lower prices than in the US, IMO. and racked gear should be even harder to sell, since there are many people around who have an environment for the modules where they don't need the racks.

anyway, still the price should have gone higher, regarding the parts & work that went into it.

I disagree. People - who know jack about electronics - in Europe & the US will pay silly money for a good rack job. Just ask Marquette for a pricequote :wink: And yes, raw modules are cheaper here, but you know there is rackjobs and there is rackjobs. Johns V72 is MILES from some nerd throwing in a soso module ina standard RS 19" box.

I would compare John's V72 to any commercial single channel pre in the 1.5-3K$ based on the looks, craftmanship and quality. TubeTech is pretty expensive here and that have never impressed me in anyway.

Also, gear in Europe have always been more expensive than in the US. If someone like Golden Age would pick up John's V72, I'd bet they'd sell for at least 1.5K, maybe 2K(dollars or euro, doesn't matter these dayz)

www.marquetteaudiolabs.com/racking.html

www.goldenagemusic.se/swe/proaudio/index.html

800 bucks is way to little and I'm wondering how John can actually make any money on that. You'd probably make twice flippin' burgers at MacD :evil:

[quote author="sismofyt"]I disagree. People - who know jack about electronics - in Europe & the US will pay silly money for a good rack job. [/quote]

true of course, as far as non-techs are concerned. by claiming it would be harder to sell racked german broadcast stuff over here in europe (in germany at least), i merely had those people in mind who are still more or less affiliated with old broadcast technology and still have the appropriate environment to use the modules without racking. and the community of these people isn't that small.

of course you're welcome to prove me wrong :green:

i heard from guys like mazz/vintage city (german based) that they sell 90% of their stuff to the US. and there's a common opinion in germany which says that if you want a better price for your modules, put'em on ebay.com, write a raving descriptionm, and get double the money than you'd get on ebay.de :razz:

on the other hand, there's a lot of gear which is dirt cheap in the US in comparison to here. orban eq's & comps for example.

Yeah man, there's just so much that we don't see in Europe, like RCA, Western Electric, Altec, Fairchild (not the 660/670), Lang etc. Hell, even Neve ain't common in my country. People here think Neve is VR desks :roll: NTP is pretty common here though :cool:

I don't doubt Mazz sells a lot to the US, allthough I can still get it cheaper on ebay most times :green:

I also think the situation in Germany is different than at least Denmark/Scandinavia where that TFK/Siemens stuff never was so big because the local state radios also build their own stuff. That's stuff is pretty rare to find though. Germany is pretty big and I'm amazad at all thosa gazzillion modules they've produces over the years :shock:

I've dragged my modules around Denmark for like six or seven years and in the beginning people were like, 'uh, fuck what's that shit?'. I've now done quite a few rackjobs for various people. It's catching on :cool:

We got too many PT homeproducers and beat up SSLs here, imo :evil:

Gawd, OT should be my middle name, sorry fellas :oops:

[quote author="sismofyt"] Germany is pretty big and I'm amazad at all thosa gazzillion modules they've produces over the years :shock: [/quote]

they've even been exporting their technology (the tube stuff even up into the 70's) to many countries (even south america, africa, asia...)

NTP is pretty common here though

did ntp ever do anything for the danish national radio? do you have any info on danish or other scandinavian broadcast technology? there hardly are any units appearing on ebay, but wonder what they did in other countries like france, italy, spain, czech, russia, etc. back in the days!

DISA is still around - http://www.disa.dk/ - but has stopped manufacturing audio equipment long ago. DISA is short for Dansk Industri SyndikAt, danish industrial syndicate. They manufactured just about anything back in the 50'es, and were commisioned with building specified equipment for our national broadcast, DR.

Their equipment were based on the very high quality "Jørgen Schou" audio transformers - a company that now sadly has gone under. I've done quite a lot of research trying to find out who ended up with the audio transformer drawings - but no luck yet..

Jakob E.

JS tip; They/he made some line and MC (movin coil, but very usefull for microphones :idea: ) in the late 80's. They can sometimes be found in the second hand ads in hifimags :green: I scored a couple that way..

Back