Neve 2254C or 33609

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just want to see the 33609 rev "A" schematic and compare. I have the full 2264 and 33609J doc packages, and as far as I can tell the 33609 is an evolution of the 2264 with very few circuit changes.

gemini86 said:
Joke aside though, why tell everyone you have a secret, when you intend to keep it a secret? This is playground type stuff.

It's not a secret. All the information is out there and most of it is common sense if you know anything at all about classic Neve gear. The thing I'm withholding is the "paint by numbers" part.

I answered the OP question and gave my opinion on what I thought of both projects as is. Most folks will be fine with the project, as evidenced with the preceding posts.

Mark

Sorry to "resurrect" this thread, just noticed it.

I have built two of Igor's 33609 units and have done extensive research & comparison with multiple original metal-knob versions and can say that Igor's 33609 is definitely NOT close to a "plugin", because I did direct comparison of it with plugins (McDSP TDM, Waves, etc.) and the hardware had unmatched magic to it that wasn't at all subjective. Basically Igor's unit built with Carnhill iron and good Nichicon caps destroys any plugin there is. Period. One thing in common it has with plugins is the timing envelope character (ballistics of the compressor attack/release), but any plugin, while possessing the original timing, sounds dull and lifeless comparing to the hardware. If Biasrocks's version resembled a plugin then there was either a build mistake somewhere, cheap/improper components were used in critical places, or comparisons were done in a poor acoustical environment.

As far as being close to the original, neither of my units were. Having said that, most people participating in blind tests preferred Igor's versions over the original. The original was recently serviced and calibrated by one of the best Neve techs in the country, so we knew it was a good unit. The room in which the tests were conducted was one of the most revealing acoustical spaces I've been in, along with great monitoring setup.

To summarize: it is well worth building Igor's 33609, which, if quality components are used, can outperform the original sonically and noise-performance wise, while maintaining the overall classic 2264/33609 character.

As far as being close to the original, neither of my units were.

Exactly my point.

I'm happy your build beats a plugin.  8)

If you had chosen to actually read what I said, you'd see that I said
with the tweaks I did to my limiter it made the stock build sound like a
plugin in comparison.

Mine definitely sounds different and much better than a stock build IMO
and that was my point all along.

As I said, to each his own.

Rock on.

Regards,
Mark

hey mark,
i'm actually building a hybrid 2254C,
and i'm trying to keep it as original as possible, and noticed a few changes
from the classic BOM, and compared it with other N**e designs,
are you talking about tantalum,polystyrene and  philips/BC axial caps ?  ;-)
regards,
Francois

andre tchmil said:
Biasrocks said:
Yes and yes.

My extensive research when I built my 33609 did result in a shockingly better sounding compressor. 

It actually made Igor's original sound like a plugin version. :eek:

This knowledge was hard earned and I feel somewhat uncompelled to give it out freely.

A close look at the schematics for both compressors will begin to reveal some, not all of the details.

For instance, there's a huge hole in the Igor's 2254 sidechain design.

I would recommend building the 33609 over the 2254 I think you'll get more use out of it and it'll be the closest you get to the real deal.

Mark

If you used Igor's PCB's for your testing and improving, stop nagging and thank him instead for releasing the PCB's , cause nobody else did it before.
If you feel the need for improving the unit , go ahead. I'm sure plenty of people are happy how it sounds now.

In any case, Mark, may I ask which PCB's did you used?

@Francois:

The sidechain of 2254C is same as 33609, just added HPF with switchable frequences.
The sound path is between 2254 rev. A and E, same gain structure.
The bufferes after diode bridge (J109/BC214) were taken from 33609.
My experience:
With use of old BC184C it sounds bit different;
Carenhills really not bad, but sounds different than Marinairs;
T10015/16 can be used as as line in/interstage;
ED Anderson's mic and outputs have really great sound;
Good capacitors should be used, BC/Panasonic/etc.

Ah yes, and most important: the diodes in a bridge circuit (1N4153) should be matched tough as possible.

Back