Most desired EQ frequency points?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhmca

Normally I would post this in one of the design forums(hopefully it doesn't get moved!)

I'm designing a passive EQ ala Pultec.

I'm working with 6 bands of cut and boost "Hi" and "low" respectively, that is 6 hi cut, 6 low cut, 6 hi boost and 6 low boost.

I would like to ask; "If you had to pick 6, what are the frequency points that you audio engineers would want? e.g. 2,3,5,8,12,16K? etc... for each boost/cut band? Would they be the same?Like 2K on the boost and cut. Or, would it be 2K on the boost and 3K on the cut? that type thing.

Thank you all!

Toft and Trident use EQ ranges  40-650Hz, 100Hz-1.5kHz, 700Hz-10kHz, and 1kHz-15kHz with gain range is ±15dB. Consider by many to be the most "musical" of all the eqs.

I think for something like a passive EQ ala pultec, the exact frequencies are not that important as the shape of the EQ is quite broad and the EQs are very musical anyway.

If I remember correctly, Neve did a lot of research into desirable musical frequencies, maybe check those out.

Sir George Martin and Rupert Neve did a research for the most musically usefull frequencies for the three consols for AIR Studios. Think that Aurora Audio ( Geoff Tanner ) uses the same frequencies in his dual 4 band EQ

The answer is complex, because the choice is the result of the interaction between the actual material that is processed, personal tastes, listening media and cultural habits.
In addition, there are two distinct purposes of EQ.
One is "surgical" EQ, intended to clean up tracks that are flawed with noises, resonances, sibilants, plosives, and so on. Clearly, this is the domain of parametric equalization. Not the subject of the OT.
The second is "sweetening", which relies on relatively broad shapes, acting on frequency ranges that can be perceptually identified, such as bass (LF), low-mid, mid, high,...
According to my perception I split the audio range into 5 bands, LF: up to 100Hz, Low-mid: 100-450Hz, Mid: 450-2.8k, Hi-mid:2.8k-8k and HF: 8k up. Clearly the BW is not identical from one band to another, narrowing with increasing frequency.
It's only my opinion, but I suggest you experiment with a good parametric EQ and make this experimentation by yourself; then you will have your own answer to your question.

Latest posts

Back