8 out Adat - Advice needed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autophase

Hi guys,
having followed Volkers mod for the Neumann V475, I have turned it into a basic analogue summing box.
I work mainly in the computer including mixing, however I want a bit of analogue flavour (hence the analogue summing box)

I mix to 4 main stereo groups most of the time, which I would like to send OUT of the computer, through the summing box and back in to the computer through my RME HDSPe AIO.
All I really need to make this possible is an 8 channel (output only) Converter, that I can connect to the AIO's ADAT connector.

My biggest issue is obviously converter quality, I love how much better the RME converters sounded compared to my old MOTU.
Can anyone reccomend anything thats suitable? Second hand is an option as well, so any suggestions welcome.

Autophase said:
Hi guys,
having followed Volkers mod for the Neumann V475, I have turned it into a basic analogue summing box.
I work mainly in the computer including mixing, however I want a bit of analogue flavour (hence the analogue summing box)

I mix to 4 main stereo groups most of the time, which I would like to send OUT of the computer, through the summing box and back in to the computer through my RME HDSPe AIO.
All I really need to make this possible is an 8 channel (output only) Converter, that I can connect to the AIO's ADAT connector.

My biggest issue is obviously converter quality, I love how much better the RME converters sounded compared to my old MOTU.
Can anyone reccomend anything thats suitable? Second hand is an option as well, so any suggestions welcome.
Hello,

I´m doing similar things.Did the conversion ADAT to Analogue with a cheap Swissonic DA24 doing only this,but didn´t like the sound.Sold it.
There are not too many boxes out there that do this conversion in just one direction.I thought about buying RME ADI first,but then I bought some Fireface 800s on ebay for approx. 500 Euros each.Seems overkill because it has inputs too,but you can programm them to behave as standalone units:Connect them via firewire (800 or 400) to a computer running the RME software.
Set up your wanted routing in the preferences and then look for the function "Flash Current State".Do it and disconnect from firewire.After next power-up it is a standalone unit working like you want,connection to computer not needed furthermore.You can even have them running at 96kHz since they have all ADAT connectors twice and can work in SMUX Mode.
Works great!

Hope to have helped,

best,

Udo.

That sounds like a good solution, I'd prefer not to go firewire, I'd like to use the ADAT connector on my HDSPE AIO, so everything is going through one card for convenience when using cubase.
For what its worth I dont even need PRE's, Ideally just ADAT to 8 Analogue outs, with good quality converters.

Thanks for your input though.

i've got an apogee rosetta 800 hooked to my pc via adat, 8ins/8outs. you can get them used at reasonable prices these days.

I think the Rosetta is a little more than I want to spend right now.

Based on some threads I read in Gearsluts (i know, i know ther shame!)
I've got it down to 3.
Aphex 141 8
Frontier Tango24
Behringer ADA8000 (Yep thats right, Behringer, not renouned for their amazing gear, but theres some interesting reviews saying in blind shoot outs people picked it over fare more expensive converters) Bearing in mind I'm only using ADAT to Analogue, I cant see what wrong with this for the money

Anyone have any experience with any of the 3?

Autophase said:
Behringer ADA8000 (Yep thats right, Behringer, not renouned for their amazing gear, but theres some interesting reviews saying in blind shoot outs people picked it over fare more expensive converters) Bearing in mind I'm only using ADAT to Analogue, I cant see what wrong with this for the money

I use them with my (older) MOTU 2408 and for the money there is no reason to complain. Test them for noise before you buy one. I had a brand new one that was quite noisy (digital noise), exchanged it with another unit and that one was quiet. The Mic inputs of these converters are not useable, line ins and analog outs are just fine.
regards
Bernd

Autophase said:
That sounds like a good solution, I'd prefer not to go firewire, I'd like to use the ADAT connector on my HDSPE AIO, so everything is going through one card for convenience when using cubase.
For what its worth I dont even need PRE's, Ideally just ADAT to 8 Analogue outs, with good quality converters.

Thanks for your input though.
No problem,but I think you got me wrong:The firewire connection is only needed once during setup procedure,after that it´s working stand alone (maybe my english is too bad?).

Cheers,

Udo. ;)

going for the ADA8000, for the money it lokos up to the job, especially if I'm only going to be using the ADAT to Analogue out, and not the Pre's.
Thanks for suggestions people.
Obviously I'll do this when I return from Japan, thats right I'm off to Japan tomorrow (Shameless Gloat)

Back