Where to buy high ohmic resistors in small quantities at sensible prices ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get all mine from mouser.com, but I now see that you are in the UK -- Sorry for not noticing!  Have you tried Maplin or RS Components?

David

You can also get some TRW carbon glaze resistors from ebay if you want some older NOS parts. I picked up a couple packs of 100M and they are large but nice. I'll stock up on others too if the needs arises.

Like these:
DSC00727.jpg

Cheers,
jb

Thanks for the tips.

Funny I never thought of ebay for these more obscure value resistors, but it seems if you can wait for delivery from hong kong they are available, albeit rather large in physical size.

Maplins have a max of 10M, & RS have very expensive resistors in some of these values that look like film caps.

Rob,

RS have 100M and 1G values pretty cheap:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/passives/resistors/through-hole-fixed/?sort-by=P_breakPrice1&sort-order=asc&sort-option=Price&applied-dimensions=4294789091,%204294875298,4294882864&lastAttributeSelectedBlock=4294956957

I can see your problem Rob....

Farnell and RS offer the best deals in the smd line...
I had to make up some odd value hi onmic resistors.... use the low price  5% types to make up the value you want
...mount on a little piece of veroboard,(can be made QUITE small )  ,add a couple of legs then coat in epoxy or pcb lacquer and bobs your uncle. ;)
No discernable difference !
Or pay a high price for the 1% types...ouch

http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity-cgs/rh73h2a30mktn/resistor-0805-30m/dp/1174520RL

s2udio said:
I can see your problem Rob....

Farnell and RS offer the best deals in the smd line...
I had to make up some odd value hi onmic resistors.... use the low price  5% types to make up the value you want
...mount on a little piece of veroboard,(can be made QUITE small )  ,add a couple of legs then coat in epoxy or pcb lacquer and bobs your uncle. ;)
No discernable difference !
Or pay a high price for the 1% types...ouch

http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity-cgs/rh73h2a30mktn/resistor-0805-30m/dp/1174520RL

An interesting concept, but I'm guessing you would need to be a little careful about what board & epoxy you're using, since at hi Z they could affect the spec ?

Rob Flinn said:
An interesting concept, but I'm guessing you would need to be a little careful about what board & epoxy you're using, since at hi Z they could affect the spec ?
CIBA have always used their best stuff for Araldite (what you buy from a European hardware store).  The Yanks didn't always do this.

Calrec used Araldite (normal) to encapsulate the High Z end of their mikes in da old days.

Ok that sounds reasonable, but if you solder it to veroboard & encapsulate it then that becomes part of the equation too I'm guessing.

But it sounds very worth a try, I guess it's possible to do with no encapsulation at all.

Hi
Sorry missed the posts.
Araldite is what i used for mine ...the 30 min  quick set is fine .And used for years as stated.
A small coating then quickly into a bit of preprepared  tube heatshrink to fit...heat,...  leave to dry thouroughly.
A couple of years ago now ,,,,,but i think they were in the range of 1-2 gig , no probs from what i can remember.
Or leave in free air (moisture) or just heatshrink..............Oh shit just thinking maybe i should go into production.
CustomHighOhms... ;D

0dbfs said:
You can also get some TRW carbon glaze resistors from ebay if you want some older NOS parts.
You need to be careful with ancient high value resistors.

At Calrec, we had serious problems finding a reliable source in da old days.  Many old high value "resistors" didn't obey Ohm's Law but were more like crappy diodes.

Modern high value resistors are MUCH better.

ricardo said:
0dbfs said:
You can also get some TRW carbon glaze resistors from ebay if you want some older NOS parts.
You need to be careful with ancient high value resistors.

At Calrec, we had serious problems finding a reliable source in da old days.  Many old high value "resistors" didn't obey Ohm's Law but were more like crappy diodes.

Modern high value resistors are MUCH better.

I've used Ohmmite Slim-MOX or Mini-Mox in this goofy application where I need to measure the dosage from the beam of a transmission electron microscope. It's simply a couple of 5 G resistors and a fA-input op-amp on some Rogers duroid. The input to the op-amp is simply an aluminum plate of known size, and the beam induces a tiny current in that plate. The board has to be scrubbed absolutely clean, and I can't really bench test the thing.

-a

ricardo said:
.  Many old high value "resistors" didn't obey Ohm's Law but were more like crappy diodes.

Many cheap condensers (e.g.eltrects) use a reversed diode as high-ohmic grid/gate resistor, depending on leakage current..

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
Many cheap condensers (e.g.electrects) use a reversed diode as high-ohmic grid/gate resistor, depending on leakage current.
Yes.  And this limits the max. spl and distortion performance in many common circuits.  :'(

There are circuits where this is less of a problem.  Scott Wurcer has some in his Linear Audio series of articles.  Next episode will be out next month.

Latest posts

Back