Questions for the LA3a gurus out there... ;-)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonedude

I just bought a ADL 1600 that sounds great!!! And since this is my first time using a LA3a type comp I have some questions:

I have never used a LA3a before so I dont know how the "peak reduction" knob is supposed to work. When turning the knob clockwise until 12 à clock, it works as I expect it to work, it compresses the signal more and more. But, after approximately 12 à clock it starts to behave different, then it starts to reduce output at the same time as the meter moves closer and closer to -20dB. Is this normal LA3a behaviour or a "feature" of the ADL 1600? (Both the seller and Anthony tells me it works that way, so I guess its ok then  :)

And out of curriosity I also wonder why the T4B circuit drawn on the original schematic, in the LA3a manual from the seventies, seems to have four photocells, isn't it just two photocells in the T4B's built today?

Best
// Mattias

Thanks!  :)

Winetree said:
When you compress the signal that much,you make the waveform smaller or attenuate the signal.
Therefore you make-up the gain with the output knob.

I guess I wasn't clear enough when formulating my question - after the "peak reduction" knob passes twelve a clock, the VU meter starts to move towards the -20dB mark on the VU scale, and thats without any signal going into the compressor.

I read trough the LA3a manual on the JBL website and from that I've concluded that the above behaviour isn't normal LA3a behaviour.

Went out into the studio and turned on the Orginal La-3a's.
Without any signal going in, with the switch in GR mode,
turning the gain reduction knob from zero to full the meter does not move.

Winetree said:
Went out into the studio and turned on the Orginal La-3a's.
Without any signal going in, with the switch in GR mode,
turning the gain reduction knob from zero to full the meter does not move.

I guess that settles it!    :)

Back