LA3A Bias Adjustment?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outoftune

Picked up a pair of LA3A's a while back, one was dead and one wasn't doing any compression. Did a full recap, replaced a few burned out components in a PSU and replaced the EL panels/opto cells in the T4B's (thanks to electrochronic for the parts! https://sites.google.com/site/diypartsstore/catalog/new-t4b-opto-el-panels )

Both are up and running now, sounding real nice. The bias test point read a bit out on each one, they're in the 14-15v range. Mine do not have a trim pot, just the resistor, R7 in this schematic: http://www.waltzingbear.com/Schematics/Urei/LA_3A.htm

Should I just straight swap the resistor for a 500k pot or is it maybe a better idea to do something like 250K resistor and 250K pot? How much of an adjustment range is necessary? Or should I bias it with a pot, then replace with a fixed resistor? Anything else to know?

The one that is closer to 12-13v seems to do more GR when both have the same input signal/settings (non stereo linked). Will this even out with the bias adjustment or do the units just vary? I purchased a matched quad of photocells.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions about the LA3A, am pretty familiar with it at this point. Thanks!

It's always better to use a series resistor with the pot, sometimes winding the pot right out can cause problems.
Also it makes the pot range over a smaller span which means its easier to set.
Use a good quality pot, if it's a preset use a 10 turn pot, they stay adjusted better.

Do you happen to know the specs of the meter on your units?    Over on the LA3A-500 thread, we've been trying to figure out why the meters never work properly for that particular kit. 

Hi,

I'm not sure of the exact specs, they are just the meters that came with the units. If you'd like me to take a reading or measurement or model # I'd be glad to help out.

Latest posts

Back