1176 Transformer Options

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbonin

I'm looking to try some experimentation with alternate input/output transformer combinations and I was wondering if anyone has tried mixing a Rev A or a Rev D with other than the stock "Hairball" kit transformers?

I'd going to try Lundahl's:    LL1540 on the input and  LL5402 on the output.

I'm about to start testing if anyone wants to chime in.

Thanks!
-Don

you need a gapped output on those rev.s, or inductive load and cap couple; don't know if anybody has bothered with that. but the 1540 will do on input.

yep, the LL5402 does really fine for a rev#F or any with a class-AB push-pull output stage (it was the one among many tried that sounded closest to our original rev#F). It will, however, not work well with the class-A output stages.

Jakob E.

from rev A to rev E  the output amp is operating in class A....Tx is gapped due to the current in primary winding and it has a tertiary winding for negative feedback. Such design kinda narrows the choice to EA5002, the cinemag one or your own rolled up Tx.
For input Tx, way more choice...original is 600-500/200 IIRC.

I have one of these on the output in a Rev A and it sounds fantastic...

http://www.studioelectronics.biz/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1160

building up another one now and going to try the EA5002 via Hairball...

should have the pair up and running in a week or two - I have a matched quad of the 2n5457's so i feel like all else being more or less equal,  it should be a good comparison of the transformer...

Latest posts

Back