Canon mod to russian audio connector on a Lomo 19a19

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightmusic

Hello everybody,

I recently acquired a Lomo 19a19 in very good shape, but still having the original russian connector at the mic output.This male connector looks like a classic XLR with 3 pins 1,2,3...But of course, it doesnt fit into an european female XLR connector, so i have to replace it with a typical cannon connector instead.
Basically, i would simply go for a regular conversion (pin 1 on russian connector goes to pin 1 on canon xlr, and so on...)-But there's nothing less sure about this arbitrary conversion, so maybe pin 1 goes to pin 2, pin 2 goes to pin 3....instead?
Maybe some of you would have the answer?
Did anybody ever successfully managed to change the original russian connector to a canon one? Be it for a Lomo mic or any other soviet gear?

Thank you for the help!

Hi bezen4uk,

Thank you for your answer :)

Actually,you are perfectly right about the mic outputs pinout, but sorry i should have been more precise indeed, because i was  mentionning the mic output signal connection FROM THE PSU, which is basically a female 4 pins socket, on which a cable is connected, cable with a male 4-pins sockets on one side, and a male 3 pin socket on the other side(that side which is supposed to be connected to a mixer input).
Since this 'XLR' 3 pin connector isnt a classic Canon socket, i have to modify it, cut the wire on its end, and solder a brand new classic XLR there in place.
And for this, i need to figure out which wire from the cable should go on pin '1', '2' and '3' of the new XLR...and which one shouldnt be connected at all (since the connection start with 4 pins, to end up with a 3 pins)
Maybe some of you could tell me for example, which pins from the psu output correspond to ground, tip, ring  (In a clockwise order)?
I have to notify also that my version is the first edition (not Y2)
Thank you!

So it looks like pin 1 ( top left if looking at psu female 4 pin socket from the threaded, outside angle) is audio +, pin 2 ( top right pin from same outside of psu viewing angle) is audio -, and pin 3 ( bottom left same angle) is ground.

No problem. To clarify, my pinout description is from looking at the psu  4 pin connector threaded side, and not the cable . Have fun, these are great Mics.  Amazing  high frequency reproduction.

I dont have it in front of me right now, but i perfectly understand your description.
Yes i love Lomo mics, already have a 19a9 which is quite impressive.
Btw, any idea about the difference between 19a19 and 19a19Y2(2nd version)?

Ok, another disturbing info on my side now.
A guy i know has offered me a VERY quick test on his own Lomo 19a19 cable, in his recording studio this afternoon.Because he didnt let me go with the cable, and since i didnt have my own Lomo with me, i simply ran a continuity test between each pin of both sockets sides of that cable, in order to guess what goes where.
What i found is a different result than your conclusion from the schematics: there I have (looking at psu female 4 pin socket from the threaded, outside viewing angle) > pin 1= ground, pin 2=audio+, pin 3=audio-

So...are you 100% confident with the conclusions based on the schematics? That guy who offered the cable test, has a Lomo 19a19 2nd version, does it change anything?
Anybody could eventually make a continuity test like i did, in order to specifically get an answer in the 'real world'?

Thank you!

I came to my conclusion from looking at the schematics and  doing a continuity checking that pin 3 is actually ground on my psu connector. However both of my 19a19s that I have use newer psu's.  The original one I have isn't in service. My advice would be do a continuity check with your pin 3 to the ground and see if it is the case. I suspect that a lot of these have been altered throughout the years.  Also it won't hurt anything to try a suspected wiring.

Ok, sound logical...but stupid question for sure: what ground did you use for the continuity test between ground and pin 3?
Should i open up the PSU for this? (Yes sorry i'm bit a newbie and afraid to do mistakes:) )

Ok, what i found- after attaching the original cable again to the psu out- is a continuity between one of the XLR pin (from the old soviet version) and the screwing outer collar of the psu female 4pin connector (which i suppose is the ground connection you were mentionning).
So if i did find the ground, now how to be sure about the 2 others order?

If my previous test is correct,  it lead me to find the correct pin on the female threaded psu side, which is, as you said primarly, the left bottom pin....

What pin was ground?  If  3 then follow schematics and my original suggestion. If you get + and - switched, it will just be out of phase with your other Mics.

Yes, ground is on pin 3 as you said.What's amazing is the fact that on my friend's psu, ground is on pin 1, while he and i  both have the original psu.The only difference is that he's got 19a19y2 !
If you tell me that your mics are 1st version as mine, then that may sound obvious it's because of the revision mods.

I have a friend who says y2 version is for psu that powers 2 Mics, but Mics are the same, if I understand him correctly.  If you total mix up the connections it will just buzz lol, it is the output of the mic amp, so no high voltages.

Back