Precision Electronics Corporation Potentiometers - Anyone??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mutterd

Hey guys,

so I have been looking around for some new, high quality, single and dual pots and I found this company:
http://www.precisionelectronics.com/0-40a-010a.html

I have always been a big fan of the AB pots  - I love that you can open them up, clean and lube the tracks and bring them back to life - you can even flip that little piece of carbon over to scrape the last little bit of life out of them - so i was instantly intrigued.

I gave them a call and talked to Rudy, who is one of the sales managers and the place seems great. They are located in Toronto, all the pots are made to order in house, if you meet the minimum order of 30 pots, you can get them in any resistance value you want.

They are a little pricey, but man, I have AB pots that were made 40 years ago that are still quiet and smooth - if these were comparable - it would be worth it…

http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/RV4NAYSD102A/RV4N102C-ND/222805

so yeah - I was just wondering if any of you guys had any experience with these…

if not - I'm in the market for some good dual pots - what are you guys using?

I'm really not a fan of the feel of most conductive plastic pots - I like pots with a good action and I'm ok to pay a little more for durability and feel.

thanks!
Timothy

mutterd said:
They are a little pricey, but man, I have AB pots that were made 40 years ago that are still quiet and smooth - if these were comparable - it would be worth it…

Interesting, they look like AB pots !?!
Do you think it's the same manufacturer having another company name after years?
"about us" say -since 1959-
I also have 40 years old AB pot in my Studer desk, for age they work fine !!!
Best
Zam

I have used them.

Very nice. Seem very well made.

They feel pretty good. Not as good and smooth as ALPHA, not as free and loose as Bourns.... Kinda "gritty."

Thanks so much Ian - I'll take a look at those…

zamproject:
they are not affiliated with Allen Bradley - but the design is the same - carbon track with a  metal wiper with a carbon tip.

jwhmca:
gritty?!? thats a terrible attribute in a $30 pot - I want "sliky", or maybe "velvety", i would even be happy with "slightly stiff" but gritty?!?

thanks guys…

Are you familiar with the ALPHA smooth feel? e.g.  RV24AF-10-15R1-B1K-3

ALPHA (Taiwan) have a super smooth... sorta stiff-ish feel. The feel of a pot comes from the lubricant in the shaft housing... AFAIK.

ALPHA uses a very thick "feeling" lube.

The PEC is kinda this metal on metal feel.... ONLY when compared to the classic ALPHA feel. It's not loosey -goosey like the BOURNS plastic... just kinda gritty...  :)

I feel there are much better options out there, but I have used them for REV LOG needs that I have had... What taper do you need?

Yeah, Im very familiar with the Alpha's - I have liked them in the past but the ones I've gotten lately have felt cheap…

But my tape machine has the smaller (16mm) Alpha's on the input pots and they are smooth as butter and 30 years old...

I'm looking for:

32 x 2.5k Log
20 x 10k Log
20 x dual 10k Linear

what do you suggest as better ones?

I have PEC pots in my guitars. Very well constructed. I'm confident they'll never fail. The "gritty" feel is just the feel of the wiper against the carbon element. It's never occurred to me to describe them as gritty, but they do feel a bit different than conductive plastic pots.  They're sealed (at least the ones I use are), so if opening them up is important, these aren't for you.

Latest posts

Back