New Jensen website

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Radial acquisition has made them a "younger" company.
But there was something charming about the old site that made Jensen feel handmade and independent.
This new vibe definitely feels corporate.

I was so used to the older one, but everything seems to be there and not so hard to find, it was just that I knew the older site so well. Good for them, it did look crappy, much nicer this one.

They were one of their biggest customers so I think they will implore for keeping the quality as they will keep using those transformers, I've heard of the change a couple of month ago I think, Bill Withlock still works in the place but don't run it by himself any longer, so he is still in there to keep an eye over the thing.

JS

yeah, the other kick in the gonads is that you now have to create an account to view their schematics and white papers. I'm not the type to want things for free, but I would rather give an anonymous dollar then my email. Even my 7th mailing list dummy email.

hakanai said:
yeah, the other kick in the gonads is that you now have to create an account to view their schematics and white papers. I'm not the type to want things for free, but I would rather give an anonymous dollar then my email. Even my 7th mailing list dummy email.

I recall that you had to request that Bill send you printed-out copies of certain white papers.

-a

kambo said:
PRR said:
Takes long enough to load.

time to upgrade your line  ;)

I see we are still going down this road.  For those living in 'high civilization', it is not obvious that most of the USA does not even have the option to upgrade their line, at any price.   

emrr said:
kambo said:
PRR said:
Takes long enough to load.

time to upgrade your line  ;)

I see we are still going down this road.  For those living in 'high civilization', it is not obvious that most of the USA does not even have the option to upgrade their line, at any price.   

How much are we talking about? I have 12M connection which lucky me if I get 1M to upload something, probably half that. It seems to be pretty good, good enough to watch full HD videos but I know it's not even close of what you are used to, it's close to the best you can get here, not so long ago 30M appears here and not in every place, but you are probably at least one order of magnitude higher in 'high civilization'.

JS

I'm in 'mid civilization', typical east coast mid sized city, speed test right now (late night) on cable service came in at 13.75M/1M.  Typical daytime is 2M-5M/0.5M-1M for short burst, throttled slower on very large uploads or downloads.  Netflix stream tends to be very poor resolution in peak times, with load times sometimes approaching 5 minutes. 

My LTE phone is typically 18M-22M/11M-12M for the same location. 

You don't have to go more than 40km to find areas where service is difficult to acquire at all. 

I think PRR's location would probably count as 'low civilization', where the available pipe just isn't that big for wired home service.  He will surely correct me if I'm wrong!

Oh, I see, is more or less what I have here, but I have to said my service is pretty good compared to many around, and in smaller cities is even worse. I get pretty good downloads speeds for large files but I rarely use it for heavy tasks during the day.

You are saying your phone is faster than your wired house connection? if that's the case why to have the house connected at all? In my case I could probably live with only my cellphone but the wire is significantly better, and my roommate doesn't have a good service, he has the cellphone service which is good at his town but here their service is pretty poor, my case is the opposite... In my town the cellphones barely work when the day is nice (for them, not sunny) and don't even think in watching youtube on your phone unless you have wifi, sometimes is hard to get whatsapp to work properly.

Now we are having troubles in big cities to get better cellphone coverage since nobody wants to have transceivers over their buildings because it causes cancer, come on, the air in big cities causes cancer and you are still living there and breathing! In smaller cities is much easier since you don't need so much height nor convince so many people in one building to live with it, but still the companies doesn't seems to care to have bad coverage over there so you don't get good signal anywhere. I'm in a mid sized city and the company I use works pretty well, lucky me...

Arsat-1 was lunched few weeks ago, it's ours first geostationary satellite which suppose to bring internet to the whole country, still doesn't work, but I don't see it being very fast. Also TV but who cares anymore about that, right?

JS

obviously they are not gonna lay fibre cable/replace cabling for the people living in remote areas... 
i suppose, with the  new technologies, and more communication stations on orbit,   
people in remote areas will benefit more...
perhaps, you guys need to hang on for another 5-10 years :)

joaquins said:
You are saying your phone is faster than your wired house connection? if that's the case why to have the house connected at all?

Frequently.  It's a new phone, I'm assessing.  Having run several more tests in various system groups, I see speeds trading places on the download side.  On the upload side (we do a lot here) the phones are at least 4 times faster worst case, sometimes 8 times faster.  I haven't sorted out how to monitor wired data usage for cost comparison. 

bumping the connection speed conversation over here:

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=57993.0

> not gonna lay fibre cable/replace cabling for the people living in remote areas...

The threshold is 25 customers per mile. Not openly discussed, and might be flexible, but hard-fact for me.

My 2 mile road has about 40 customers. I am NEVER getting better wires.

Until 2012 we didn't have basic cellphone unless we stood in the driveway. They put a tower in the graveyard, now my dumb-phone is 5-bar any time, but our semi-smart phone gets half-bar at best. Can't talk, but texts go through, eventually, apparently through a tower on the other side of a semi-near town.

Over on the island a similar road with 60 customers has fiber-optic. And so proud of it the company put signs on the road.

Here the only options are 28K dial-up (which may degrade to 0.6K) and Cable TV which was laid in the 1980s, long before any public internet. The cable is better, except mid-evening when everybody on the road is streaming movies.

What we need is a 100-unit condo in the middle of the road. 90+ new customers, they'd bring better wire right in. But my title has a covenant against multi-family housing, anyway the economy still sucks.

On top of that, ALL of Maine and much of VT and NH are fed through ONE skinny fiber through Vermont. (We found that out after floods knocked-out that line.) Duh.... Boston? Quebec? Both are closer to much of Maine, and have sturdy pipes. But that didn't come up even in the over-hyped 3-Ring plan (3 loops so Maine can talk to Maine better, but no added wire to the rest of the world...)

Time-Warner has various tiers of service, with various maximum speeds. But they already charge WAY too much for the poor service we get, and I don't believe that paying much more would really up my average useful speed near as much as it would drain my budget.

Yes, you could say I live in the woods because I want to get away from it all. And because it is cheap with no city services (no sewer, no water, no cops, lame school).

Oh, and no gas. Under the current glut, we should be suffocating in gas. Yet a busy gas installer went broke because the gas company was laying pipes too slowly. And that stall is many miles from here.

However my comment on Jensen is the huge number of scripts and multiple servers, in contrast to the clean 1997 site they had before. "View Source" and try to suss that out. Someone worked long and hard filling the code with "stuff", to turn a high-performance website into a low-performance website.

I'm with you, I don't care at all about the interface, a widely used web mail could have some benefits from a better interface, a website from a major manufacturer of transformers, I never heard anyone say anything bad about their quality, a fresh website, with a better interface would be hardly beneficial. Assuming this interface is better than the older, which probably not, the older was simple enough and had all you needed. I always look first for the content, easy of use, stability and only then the appearance, even then I don't give much importance to it, not in software at least. I find Matlab as a clear example of this, not the easiest tool to use but very powerful and stable, yet a very poor aesthetic, it's still a widely used tool from basic tasks for students to people working on artificial intelligence.

I don't think is the same thing here, since it was a PIA to open it from a mobile device, and we do that, if that trades a bit of comfort in the desk may worth it. I'm pretty happy on how it is now, there are people around who isn't. Still I'm not missing any of the usual posters here, I don't know if any big user of here went away for this change, CJ didn't...

JS

Latest posts

Back