GSSL & Cavendish mod; build & questions thread (beginner-content warning...)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finbase

Greetings!

I wasn't 100% sure whether to post this on the GSSL help thread or not... But since I guess that I'm not the only one interested in this Cavendish-mod, I thought that it might be useful to start a dedicated thread for it. And since I'm still rather green as far as electronics are concerned, I thought also that it might be good to make my build public, so someone can stop me in time, if I'm doing something lethal!  :)

This is where the problems start: the ultimate circuitry will consist of several PCBs, and the space will be rather crammed. I'd like to avoid all unnecessary wiring, but there's no easy way out, I'm afraid... I'm also a bit worried about the power transformer causing some distraction, since some PCB has to be placed nearby it.

So my questions is: is my PCB placement OK? I'm a bit worried if the output wires from the Cavendish board end up being too long, and cause noise (or am I just hysteric?)  Would it also wise to get some kind of mu metal shield for the power tranny,  just in case?

Am I good to go, should I start the wiring?

The small cardboard next to the power transformer is representing Expat audios GSSL CRC PCB, which I don't have yet...

(Ps. I've not stuffed the Cavendish board yet, since I want to ensure that everything is OK with  out the "regular" GSSL circuit first. It will help the troubleshooting in the future. )

finbase

Attachments

• PCB placement.jpg
    PCB placement.jpg
    932.3 KB · Views: 237
After a few burned resistors and damaged ICs both GSSLs are finally alive! And they sound GORGEOUS!! Punchy and transparent, just like the SSL bus comp is supposed to sound!

The red one will be eventually treated with the Expat audio's Cavendish modification, but it might take some time before I'm able to actually start the modding, there's a second child arriving! The due date was actually today!! ;D

BTW, anyone interested: try out the Hairball Fet 500 comps! They sound absolutely brilliant! Warmly recommended!

finbase

Attachments

• Stuff....jpg
    Stuff....jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 121
Hello,
I'm posting here because this seems to be the official Cavendish mod support thread?
I was wondering if there was a mouser cart available to pick up the components for the board... I see the BOM on the Cavendish manual, but it seems that there are no part numbers.  Searching by the values in the "Device" field of the BOM also yields nothing... I'm sorry in advance for the novice question - any help is much appreciated!!
-Dryw

Hi,

there's a thread dedicated to any GSSL modification including turbo, super side chain, crc, cavendish  etc... Here's the link
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=65232.0
I'm also very interested in building a Cavendish mod for my GSSL. I asked few questions to Rochey from expat audio but didn't get no answer. I've not been able to find these 8 pins headers that we need to build it up. If anyone has a part number or a link to these headers, it would be great.

Back