DIY toy for my nephew, how to power?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krcwell

My nephew is turning 2 in June and is obsessed with switches, knobs, etc... These are usually conected to things that are better off without his fiddling.

I have a bunch of random switches, knobs, and led's, so I want to wire him up a little encased, preferably battery powered box for his own little "command center" if you will. Basically a bunch of toggle, pb and rotary switches controlling led's that he can fiddle with as much as he likes. Maybe I'll try and incorporate learning numbers or something in to it.

9v battery would seem easiest, but I have no idea if that would limit number of led's... Kinda dumb with that stuff. Also I would probably need to buy a bulk pack of 9v with it.

Any suggestions on how to power something like this, or suggestions in general?

Good idea. My son is nearing that age and goes crazy with my equipment, instruments, tools, etc. I gave him a microphone I got in the flea market for a dollar and never found useful and he's already managed to take it apart into 4 pieces. He brings it to me so I can put it back together before he sings into it.

A 9v battery would be fine. You need to make sure you connect a resistor in series with each led. You can power a lot of leds, and if each one is on a switch it wouldn't be draining your battery all the time.

Here is this: http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

And this: http://electronicsclub.info/leds.htm

Good luck!

Oh also, get something like this to make battery changing easy: http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/battery-door-for-the-crybaby/

I say wire it all on a wall-plug, and tell the kid to log-on in the "Shock Log" thread.

But you are not the parent, so that would be irresponsible.

Kids eyes are good. Modern LEDs light fine on 1mA. With 9V power, use 6K8 resistors. With good 9V batts, 100 LEDs can be lit at once, though maybe not a whole hour. 10 LEDs might last a few days.

Actually I like the idea of a D-cell and 1.5V lamps (old single-cell flashlight bulbs). The D-cell is by far your best buy. Incandescents not so efficient, but have a nice glow, and something for the kid to tell his grandkids ("We used black gunk in a can to make wires glow red-hot until they burned out!! None of this permanent radium lighting you got now!")

A split-difference may be a 6V lantern battery and 3K9 resistors to LEDs. LEDs are polarity sensitive and 6V lantern batts can be connected either way (unless you hack an old lantern for a holder), so that's a teachable moment.

Any way you slice it, the kid will leave it on and the battery will go flat.

Get this timer switch.
81dNedtGuPL._SL1500_.jpg

It is mechanical and makes noise. While sold for 120V work, it can actually switch any voltage. There are several max-time models, 10 minutes to 6 hours. Point to note: I think the knob comes-off somewhat easy. Look to drilling for a cross-pin or Goop or JB Weld.

There is now a "better" design which will NOT work in low-voltage application; avoid this:
41A1CKF3W8L._SY90_.jpg

Fantastic suggestion on the timer! Something else to turn that provides feedback, and a great power saver.

Thanks everyone for all the replies and ideas. Keep em coming! My brother and sister in law live a 5 hour flight away, so my time with the kid is few and far between. I want to make sure this thing is super cool, and hopefully he uses it and associates it with me... I'm sick of this first-day-shy crap every time I fly out there.

PRR said:
Kids eyes are good. Modern LEDs light fine on 1mA. With 9V power, use 6K8 resistors. With good 9V batts, 100 LEDs can be lit at once, though maybe not a whole hour. 10 LEDs might last a few days.

A split-difference may be a 6V lantern battery and 3K9 resistors to LEDs. LEDs are polarity sensitive and 6V lantern batts can be connected either way (unless you hack an old lantern for a holder), so that's a teachable moment.

Any way you slice it, the kid will leave it on and the battery will go flat.

Of course you exactly described the little box I made for my kid when he was about 2. Including the part where the kid leaves it on and the battery dies.

Now he's almost 7 and he has his own mixer. And a microphone and a power amp and a speaker. Which he uses when he sings while playing drums.

-a

My goddaughter is just 1 yo and already plugging and unplugging everything she comes across, I don't know why never messing around with mains, but audio or DC jacks are always where you didn't leave them... The father also working on live sound, who started me in the business... Looks like I should start thinking in a project like this. Why not a simple current source and few diodes in series shorting out the one not used, and of course taking all off some how, also interconnections would be made so one should be on for all the others can turn on, quite more efficient when you start to think about many LEDs at once...

Timer looks great, maybe just presented one as the ones in building halls for temporary light when coming in or out. You touch it and start to work, when unused for a little while turns off automatically.

This one is quite cool for older kids! http://makezine.com/video/making-fun-mission-control-desk/

JS

> Timer ... ones in building halls for temporary light when coming in or out. You touch it and start to work, when unused for a little while turns off automatically.

If you just "touch it", and it is made for line-stuff, it is less likely to work in the low-Volt kiddie-board.

Some of those, more and more each day, are "electronic". 5V timer logic chips. Since they control 120/230V loads, the 120/230-to-5V supply is built-in. You could try to bust them open and bypass that, but most such products are not made to be serviced. The one I pointed to "avoid this", I have on my bathroom heater, and it looks like it is glued together and if you crack it all the little parts will jump out. I can barely re-assemble a cracked GFI, this has more buttons to mix-up or lose.

The one with the knob is a rudimentary mechanical tic-tok wind-up clock. It takes some force to turn the knob, you are winding a spring to power the contraption inside. A clock-like escapement lets-down the spring one tick per second, and the knob turns back to zero. Similar to a mechanical egg-timer. A cam on the back works whatever the end-result is: a bell on the egg-timer, a switch on the electrical timer. The time function takes NO electricity. The 250V 10A switch is over-kill for a kiddie LED box, but that's OK.

The rotary mechanical time switches used to be common in hotel bathrooms so you could run the heater long enough to bathe, but not waste electricity all night and into the next day. We also used them in less-used college classrooms so the stage-lights would go out sometime after class ended (unless the next professor wound it up again).

The "avoid this" push-button timer is moderately better for 120/230V installations in walls. It does not stick-out to get busted, a great advantage in a small bath. You do not get an infinite choice of times, not even a rational log-scale. Mine is 10 20 30 60. It does not tic-tok while counting down, though if you set 60 the LEDs do count down 30 20 10, you can see if you want to bump it back up to finish your bath and dressing. I thought it might be a Triac, but mine has a clunk when the heater goes off or on, so it may be a real relay. There's also a strong tick in the "tact" button, though this could be random parts procurement. ("Tact" switches also come tact-less, mush-buttons, and there's no reason for the timer maker to care since the LEDs verify the thing is hearing your finger.)

The turn-knob type is inaccurate. Zero on the knob is never quite zero on the cam, and the escapement is the poorest type they can manage. The usual failure is that they tick down to almost-zero and then stall (staying ON) because the wound-down spring can't force the dust friction. (You can turn them to off, but that rather misses the point.)

The electronic counter presumably has the 10% error of an R-C clock, but no wound-down old-dust stalling failure.

Added point: the electronic LED job needs *both* Hot and Neutral (and you should have a Ground wire also). The mechanical timer only needs the Hot leads (one from fusebox, one to heater). If your fusebox feed goes to the heater first, then loops-down to a switch, it may not have a Neutral in the switchbox. Then the knob-type beats re-wiring for the electronic type.

PRR said:
Added point: the electronic LED job needs *both* Hot and Neutral (and you should have a Ground wire also). The mechanical timer only needs the Hot leads (one from fusebox, one to heater). If your fusebox feed goes to the heater first, then loops-down to a switch, it may not have a Neutral in the switchbox. Then the knob-type beats re-wiring for the electronic type.

While a slight veer this may be of interest to circuit designers. The modern electronic controllers (like smart thermostats) have figured out how to pull enough low current power to run internal electronics while only breaking the hot lead to switch a heater on/off.  As long as they can count on an adequately low impedance load, they can draw more than enough power while the load is off to run a modest micro-controller and LCD display.

JR

PS:  Give the kid a stick and a rock,,, They'll amuse themselves more times than not.

Sorry PRR, I expressed myself wrong, I wasn't talking to a barely touch but the old kind, probably with mechanical system, but I don't know and I've seem quite a lot of them working in very old buildings so they seems reliable, I don't remember seen broken ones or brand new in an old place... I know modern versions of this would be as you said but isn't the ones I'm talking about.

JohnRoberts said:
JR

PS:  Give the kid a stick and a rock,,, They'll amuse themselves more times than not.

But what do we do in the meanwhile to amuse ourselves?

JS

Popular Electronics, December 1974, pg 79 (p71 in PDF) (9MB PDF file)

USEFUL PROJECTS FOR HOLIDAY GIFTS

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Popular-Electronics-Guide.htm

Some wise words in there. Snippet:
Second, it should be reasonably sturdy. Children are great destroyers. I read about a military tank recently that had survived several battles in two wars and had been placed on a local playground. The kids managed to wreck it completely within a couple of weeks. Therefore, assemble your projects in sturdy housings and avoid the use of delicate components, such as meters.

Back