u87 capsule options

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These days with chinese K67 capsules it's hard to see the forest for the trees so I'd be hard pressed to pick one. It's not my favorite capsule. I mention the 797 Audio capsule because I know the Microtech Gefell engineer who helped them build their original model and their quality is very good.

Generally it's not the backplate that's wrong with these , it's the membrane tuning and rest of the capsule setup.
Thanks for your insights Tim! I actually have two of the old Jim Williams designed Rode NT2 but the Capsules are sitting in a draw after swapping them out for k47 types because they were way too bright for that circuit! I may have to revisit them by dropping them in an appropriate circuit(U-87-U-67 ...The version I have has an acrylic back-plate with some sort of metal or metalization on the face of the back-plate.

There's also this!
http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/neumann/u87-neumann-spare-parts-and-accesories/neumann-capsule-for-u87.html
not exactly an economical option  :eek:

Hey boys,

I thought I would chime in a bit... Don't need to rehash any of the differences of the 67 and 87 but I do want to mention my thoughts on why the Chinese capsules in my opinion sound like crap :)... I agree with Tim 100%, the type of film amount "Gold" who knows if they even use gold! and they way its tuned all contribute to why the 25 dollar capsules sound like poo.  Some are better than others. but all of them sound better properly tuned with good film.  The rings and metal work are ok.. but if the sound crappy who cares!

OPR said:
There's also this!
http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/neumann/u87-neumann-spare-parts-and-accesories/neumann-capsule-for-u87.html

That's  crazy!  Neumann/Senny here quoted me just north of $500 USA for a genuine 87 capsule. 

Looking again, that capsule in the link says K87, that's the older 3 wire?  I think I was quoted for the K67.

MicDaddy said:
OPR said:
There's also this!

That's  crazy!  Neumann/Senny here quoted me just north of $500 USA for a genuine 87 capsule. 

Looking again, that capsule in the link says K87, that's the older 3 wire?  I think I was quoted for the K67.

Yeah, that is the weird/"fake" price online. If you call Sennheiser, the prices are much cheaper. The K87 is actually like $700. K67 is $550.

I just stumbled upon this large 34mm condenser capsule. It's recommended for Neumann 87 Ai among other brands! However, I cannot vouch for it's quality,  performance  or accuracy as I've not tried it self! Thinking of buying one myself,  as it costs just 1/3 of all the other clones I've looked into!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Microphone-34mm-Mylar-Capsule-Diaphragm-Condenser-Double-sided-Large-K67-K870-Pro/1674342518.html

That capsule is basically like the mic parts capsule as well as other Chinese type capsules.. I kind of lump them all together.. But be aware the 87ai capsule is the same as the 67 capsule and isn't isolated!! And will not function in the vintage 87...

There still seems to be some confusion on the capsule designations for the U67 and the two U87 variants:

In short Neumann's designations are:

- K67/870:  connected backplates / 3 wires used in the U67 and the (actual version of the) U87a
- K87:              isolated backplates / 4 wires used in the original U87 / U87i

I have never had a chinese copy of the K87. All of them have connected backplates and try to mimic a K67.

That capsule is basically like the mic parts capsule as well as other Chinese type capsules.. I kind of lump them all together.. But be aware the 87ai capsule is the same as the 67 capsule and isn't isolated!! And will not function in the vintage 87...
Yeah that's  right Eric except  Mic Parts do sell a Back-plate isolated version also  ;)...You may also be able to ask the seller if they have the isolated version ..not a bad capsule for the bucks! but the response is a Little different but still great for the money!! :)

Also I had another look an my Rode Nt2 K67 Style  back-plates and they are not acrylic at all they are actually metal! and very well machined compared to a lot of China K67's out there! thanks for the tip Tim!! I think I assumed they were plastic after doing a mod on an old Nady Mic which had a similar looking but cardioid only B/plate where the back was exposed revealing the acrylic.

...those capsules in the Rode NT2 and Rode Classic I were damn nice quality!...I believe microphone-parts did offer this capsule as their RK-67 for a while, but has since discontinued it...

Attachments

• Rode Kapsel.jpg
    Rode Kapsel.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 33
Has anyone tried this?

http://micandmod.com/en/capsules/78-vintage-microphones-v-k87.html

That the same as the Microphone parts...

..those capsules in the Rode NT2 and Rode Classic I were damn nice quality!...I believe microphone-parts did offer this capsule as their RK-67 for a while, but has since discontinued it...
It always sounded way too bright on the Rode Nt-2 circuit!! Interesting that it was used in the Classic I...I believe that mic was used on Thom Yorke's vocals on some tracks Ok computer! So I guess it's really s is a classic capsule now!! ;) There are a few track with a pretty significant HF boost! I remember Nigel Godrich  commenting on some of the vocals being a bit bright or sibilant..

I also did a little investigation myself into some china k67/87 back plates I had lying around and I noticed a big difference in the depth of the back plate holes between the Peluso cek367 types( for lack of a better name ???) and Mic parts types, The Peluso cek367 types  have much shallower holes and has much darker sound which which is probably intentional for making them usable in flat response circuits.

In that case there's a considerable difference in price between these two!

Mic&Mod ........V-K87    $ 134,00 (excluding local tax)
Mic Parts  ........ RK 87    $ 109,00 (excluding local tax)

Microphone parts version is quite good and also cheap good donors are AKG  perception mikes - single sided/cardiod only (100, 200, 220, P220) and double sided/multi pattern (400, 420, P420).  Perception series is also  good "mod" platform - U87Ai circuit copy with  emitter follower output + ~2:1 transformer  instead ~10:1 transformer, 2SK30 FET.

chunger said:
In U67, we are having a hard time distinguushing the hk67 from a new production neumann sonically in cardioid.

Note eric has a "vintage" spec hk87 capsule that has smaller diameter drill holes and is a but more rolled off on the treble than his "standard"  model which tracts closer to the current iteration of neumann capsules.

Also consider many experts have acknowledged the front to back side matching in the neumann capsules to be superior to reproductions. . . Which could lead to better omni and figure 8 performance.

Every maker including neumann have variation from capsule to capsule.  In that sense, you sort of look for the best averages or guarantee policys and roll the dice.

Darn, I guess I didn't know their was a 'vintage spec' option when I ordered from TSKguy! Oh well I know for next time... I just got the capsule in the mail and it is a beauty! Can't wait to finish my 87 build. Just waiting on the mic body!  ;)

Hey gents,

Been reading through as will need to pick up a cheapish capsule for a u67 build soon and noticed that no one has mentioned the advanced audio AK67.

I don't know much about the various Chinese capsules, but that one isn't the same as the microphone parts one at least as it's 6 micron vs 3 micron on the mparts one...

Anyone tried it?

Kaz

Hey gents,

Been reading through as will need to pick up a cheapish capsule for a u67 build soon and noticed that no one has mentioned the advanced audio AK67.

I don't know much about the various Chinese capsules, but that one isn't the same as the microphone parts one at least as it's 6 micron vs 3 micron on the mparts one...

Anyone tried it?

Kaz
See my post above it's the same as the The Peluso cek367 types it has shallow holes in the a Backplate to make it darker and work in flat response circuits and also it doesn't have isolated back plates so won't work in a vintage u87 curcuit.

OPR said:
Hey gents,

Anyone tried it?

Kaz
See my post above it's the same as the The Peluso cek367 types it has shallow holes in the a Backplate to make it darker and work in flat response circuits and also it doesn't have isolated back plates so won't work in a vintage u87 curcuit.

Good to know! I guess the mparts  is the best budget choice for now....

I've actually been talking to a supplier of back-plate Isolated K67/87 style capsules with 3um diaphragms for  suitable for use in the U87i Circuit and was considering offering them at a group buy  price of around $95.00 USD including shipping. PM or email me if interested. I'll add a feeler thread to the mic forum also and make a donation to group diy if it go's ahead. here a pis of a sample I ordered.

Attachments

• K67-87i.jpg
    K67-87i.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Back