5Y3 filament supply voltage

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

I need to replace a failed power transformer in an old piece of gear and found several possibilities.

One has two independent 6.3 VAC secondaries.  Is  there any reason NOT to use a dropping resistor in series with one of the windings to produce 5 VAC for the 5Y3 rectifier?  Thanks!

Bri

been there, done that,

only issue is isolation between 6.3 wind and ground, as the 5Y3 has a directly heated cathode so the heater wind will be offset by the B+ voltage,

this means that whatever else tubes are hooked to the same 6.3, they will also have the elevated heater,

The xfmr. I'm considering has two independent 6.3 VAC secondaries.  One winding would power the 5Y3 rectifier (via dropping resistors) with all of the remaining firebottles powered by the second winding.

I'm thinking of using two 0.33 Ohm resistors (each in series with one secondary leg) to drop the 6.3 VAC down to 5 VAC.

Bri

Then yeah, so long as the current is there to do it.    I haven't looked into it, there must be a chart somewhere, but is there a 6.3 rectifier with equivalent pin-out that meets 5Y3 spec?  It's possible.  Or one with simple socket rewire. 

emrr said:
Then yeah, so long as the current is there to do it.    I haven't looked into it, there must be a chart somewhere, but is there a 6.3 rectifier with equivalent pin-out that meets 5Y3 spec?  It's possible.  Or one with simple socket rewire.

6X4?  Won't fit but gets you 6.3 heaters.

YellowJacket makes a solid state equivalent to the 5Y3 not sure if that helps..

Latest posts

Back