Akg C12 a cable help!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPR

Hey All,
I have one for the brains trust  ;)
I have a bastardized vintage Akg C12a  in for repair ,
it has a 6 pin cannon connector on the psu end that has a broken contact but I'm struggling to figure out how to  open it  so I can re solder the wire!!  anyone dealt with one of these?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 40
Ack c12 a  unfortunately this one has had the brass ck12 swapped for a plastic!!

Attachments

• AKG C12 a.jpg
    AKG C12 a.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 50
looks like this may have com from trident studios UK!

Attachments

• C12 a Tri.jpg
    C12 a Tri.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 40
http://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/7062128648334303986

http://www.peigenesis.com/en/itt-cannon-connectors/standard-k-connectors.html#wall-mount-plug
-Check dimensions section

https://www.peigenesis.com/images/content/pei_tabs/ittcannon/standard-k-series/pdf-thumbs/standard-k-series.pdf
-this should be best

Maybe this will help you somehow.
It seems to looks different than which i had.
Are you able to measure transformer ratio?

This is the procedure on STOCK C12 A  Cannons (which yours is not- neither on the cable nor the power supply!) :

Once the three slot screws on the outer housing behind the threaded ring are removed ( two of them visible on this drawing) you push the connector forward, out of the aluminum housing. There are no additional screws  or clamps, and your connector picture shows that the cable's strain relief is already off.  All it takes is pushing and pulling.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 7.15.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 7.15.46 PM.png
    70 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for you replies  Ind76 and Klaus!
I was pretty sure they weren't stock connectors.  The mic end was easy and just as your description Klaus  but the other end is not going any where probably best to put new connectors as these old things are crumbling anyhow.
I'll try to measure the tranny if I get time but I cant promise anything :)
Cheers
Mark

http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/mil-dtl-26482-series-i-kpse-and-kpt-itt-cannon-llc/7482

Check all images, there are disassembled connectors, maybe somehow it show you how to open it.
If you would find the time it would be great ;)

Thanks In76d!! Your Google skills are second to none!  ;D

So it appears that the back and front sections screw into each other with the middle section floating so that it can screw into the PSU socket aha!
I can see why the connector is in such bad shape as the only way to open it would be to hold the front section still while turning the back which would be difficult and probably why the connector is in such bad shape...  ::) Hand me the pliers somebody!!no wait!! think about it for a moment... :-\ Just plug it into the psu socket and unscrew the back!!!(Make sure  the PSU is off and fully discharged of course!)

I'll try and make time for the Tranny ratio measurement but we have a new baby in the house so time is a tough thing to come buy ATM :) What is the ratio on your C12a Tranny?

I just noticed that on the pic is inscription 10-6 - just simple added itt cannon and google graphics made rest of the job :D

Personally i don't have any. I repaired three, at least 8 years ago, and then i didn't think about measuring transformer.
After few years i relaized that it could be some fun to build something with nuvistor but these transformers ratios are some mystery - there was few questions about it, on several forums, but noone ever gived the numbers :)
I also tried to get informations from AKG, but also without luck.

It seems the source of the noise and low output was a bad transformer :-[ I swapped in a 5:1 from a Chinese cathode follower or ccda amp  which fixed it but I  haven't checked the  output impedance so I'm still not sure if it's an appropriate ratio.
So it looks like
I'm in the same boat as you In76d ;)
Maybe Klaus or anyone else will with the answer will chime in as to the ratio? Or even if anyone makes a replacement or rewind?

I know Ami has a low ratio tranny with a similar form that they used in their Lucas cs1 mic  they also sell the T11 for china cathode output type mics. http://www.tab-funkenwerk.com/id113.html
might be the go??

Ooo...

Bad...

If it isn't burnt, maybe you could try to resolder it?
Does the board looks like someone before tried to resolder it?
I had C451 which had low output. Previous owner tried to resolder broken winding, and he did, but insulation of the wire wasn't melted enough to make proper connection. C12A transformer (U11) looks similar.

If there's no chance to use it again, i would try first contact with AKG - rather directly not by local distributor.
There is probability that they can have it still in stock.

It definitely looks like somebody has done work on the tranny before  and dumped a bunch of hot glue into the fix! I'll check if it's repairable when I get home.
Thanks for the tips!
I'll talk to AKG  ;)

Attachments

• C12a Crop.jpg
    C12a Crop.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 36
Originally these were also glued as in many others AKG mikes like C414 or C451 etc.
If the windings six aren't broken there's a chance.  Please remember that U11 also have 50ohm windings ;)
For akg contact i would go directly to:
[email protected]

Thanks In76d! I spoke with Michael Amon  but they have no stock for these little trannies but he was very helpful and provided me with the tech data to have it rewound! Although I'm almost certain that it would be cost prohibitive..

Cheers
Mark

Attachments

• c12a Transformer data.jpg
    c12a Transformer data.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 38
You really had a luck :D

Great info, still we don't know the ratio (or do i missed something?), but maybe someone is able to calculate it somehow by number of turns, wire gauge etc.? Transformers "internals" aren't my interest :D
Did you tried something with original tranny?
For quick i would start to clean wires, take of insulations, put new tin and even try to measure resistance for beginning.

I just spoke to Dennis at Ami who offered to rewind it for $80.00 USD! :)  He said the ratio is 1:1.8 but would need to checkout the winding style to determine the inductance. I'm pretty sure the secondary is cooked as there was no insulation on any of the wiring in the cable and a wire had broken off... I'll check once I get it out of the mic. fun fun  ::) :p

Not sure that "1:1.8" (rather 1.8:1)  isn't too low.
Inductance is stated in the technical data 17H/1H+1H.
Anyway low ratio could be possible, then here also could fit U35 from 414/451.
If am not wrong size is the same and ratio really similar (around 2:1).
I know that later version from C414 P48 (U54) was still available not so long time ago so maybe U35 is also (it was used in many models).
Dig up a little in original tranny ;) If broken, you have nothing left to lose :)
If the broken is outside turn you should be able to unwind it a little.
Rather you will not see any insulation leftovers, wire only is coated with  thin layer.

Latest posts

Back