drip 670 revisions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salomonander

hey
can someone point me towards some info regarding the different drip 670 versions? thanks a lot

cheers,
i see that the layout improved a lot. do you happen to have info on the low noise addition? will a version 1 board be inferior apart from its bulky size? cheers

Hey there,

I´ve built all three available Versions (hope I´m not the only one).

V1 - everything is on one gigantic board. The AGC switch needs to be handwired and you have to build the M/S Matrix yourself.  A very deep case is needed.

V2 - They split the circiuit into two, or more like two and a half  boards. This allows you to build it in a case more similar to the original unit spacewise. A third small board is for the 6,3V heater supply when I remember correctly. The PSU however is tube based like in V1, they are the same more or less. The AGC switch is simplified by using a few relays, just hook up a normal switch.

V3 - everything is split into little boards, which makes very easy to build - when using a certain case. The PSU is way different and modernized, which is not a bad thing at all. It has fancy fans and more ways to trim the voltages. On the Main Board of the unit, you have Digital Meters installed for checking the important Grid BIAS Voltage. More fancy stuff. Way more user friendly to build.

Soundwise they all sound the same when using the same irons and tubes, as the main circuit that passes audio is always the same.

I built V1 with normal pots and new tubes, V2 with partly stepped pots, V3 fully stepped with NOS tubes.

They are all excellent sounding compressors, super low noise, super musical, super useful.

I'm doing a V2 at the moment.  I got the board & case on the black market.  The V1 looks like potentially it is easier to build because the pcb is flat in the case.  In the V2 it's vertical & the case I happened to get is poorly designed & needs a lot of modification.  The panels are too thin to take the weight of the transformers hanging from the back & I've had to use 5m of angle aluminium to strengthen the back & the edges where 2 panels are meeting at right angles.

Back