Best DIY 1176 or La2a

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick

Hello, I am interested in building either the 1176 or La2a or both.  I am wondering what is the closest parts or kit (whichever will get me closest) to the original?  I am very skilled in electronics/building so no hurdles there.  I see a few kits around the net but have no experience with them or anyone who has so I wanted to ask here.  I can get most of the parts needed at wholesale, so I'm mainly wondering about the accuracy of the chassis/face plate, and in the case of the La2a, the ability to hand wire like the original is very desirable.  So basically, I am trying to find out which case/face plate as well as which circuit layout is the most accurate and sounds the best?

Thanks!!

If you want to build an LA2A I highly recommend going the P2P route and use Rainton's case. He has a thread in the white market. High Qualitiy case that looks almost exactly like the original. Don Audio sells Sifam VU meters with "Teletronix" Logo.
And if you buy one of Rainton cases, you can get access to the Facebook group where alot of nice and helpfull people are. One of them even has made a great detailed layout of all components. My LA2A worked from the first start and that was my first P2P and second tube build. So you should have no problems.
Can't help you with the 1176, but I think Hairball Audio/MNATS is highly regarded and also sells complete kits with nice cases.

If you want to make an la2a, i made an pcb and complete build manual, link to moyser and digikey cards, exel bom, etc. You can find the feeler pist on my facebook page or scroll down few post back, i made a feeler thread. Www.facebook.com/elab.electronic

Thanks Murdock, this is what I was looking for.  I am in the USA so I'm hoping Rainton's case won't be an issue being out in Germany... waiting to hear back from him on this now.

Will check into the Hairball audio version of 1176.

Deepdark, thanks for the option but I think I really want to build something closer to the original both cosmetically (the chassis) and circuit-wise (so PTP using proper parts).

Back