Hello everyone in DIY land!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outnleftfield

I'm grateful to now have access, to incredible insights and information, from people on this forum, whose knowledge base goes way beyond mine! I was asked, as a new member, to do an introduction, so forgive me if I go on too long!
I kind of go way back to being a musician (drums), from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's. I had a recording studio from 1974, to 1984, here in the San Diego area. I built my own mixing console, built my own version of JBL 4350 speakers. Each cabinet with dual 15" woofers, dual JBL 2420 horns and drivers, and dual JBL 2405 tweeters. Rebuilt my Tascam 80-8 recorder reproducer into a "look alike 3M 79 recorder, and actually purchased a pair of Stephens press-on spool hubs, to complete that project. I have always been a Hammond B-3 fanatic. For my power amp, I built the Heathkit 125 watt stereo power amp, preamp, and 1 rack unit LED power output bar graph. ( anyone remember those units?! ) And during about that time, I started building my own two AMPZILLA kits, as they were no longer available as a kit, and I didn't have money to buy from GAS. I assembled most of the parts including the massive power capacitors, and had two "beast" power transformers built by Donald C. Harder Transformer company, here in the San Diego area. ( I don't think he's still around, anymore. ) I still have all those parts to build two stereo 200 Watt AMPZILLA power amps. ( as Popular Electronics versions. ) I sold my 8 track machine many years ago, but I still have most of the other stuff, with assorted other rack gear. I would like to build another studio, but money is tight right now, as it is for many people!
Over the years from the late 80's into the 90's, and through now, I've been on a path to have my film and video production company. I have motion picture equipment ( five 35mm film cameras, three Moviecam "Super Americas", two "Moviecam Compacts", and an "ARRI Alexa XT Plus" 35mm digital camera. Various camera dollies, Cine-Jib camera crane, and assorted other gear. My intention was to build a building as a shooting sound stage, but alas, things didn't work out to do that, so I'm sort of just "hovering", right now, and watching to see where our world goes.
I have some Allison Research Gain-Brains ( 4 ) and Kepex 500 Gates ( 2 ) that I want to build a cage for, and was surfing the internet to gain information on these guys, and found GroupDIY, and was pleased to find lots of very educated posts, and was moved to request to be a basic member, and, .....was approved! Thank you!
Well, that's it for my introduction. I look forward to learning from people with far greater understanding of stuff than I, and look forward to being a member!at the console.PNGold control room.PNGsmall studio.PNG

Welcome - and thanks for the introduction!

My Gyraf Audio comes out of video production also - the original Gyraf was a camera crane (back in the 80'es), only the audio subdivision survived the times..

/Jakob E.

Thank you for the warm welcome, from Gyraf and TimG!
I think I do remember the Gyraf camera crane! Isn't it strange how time changes things. Once cool things become yesteryear's memories. And it sure seems that we could do so much more in those earlier years!
I may have gone overboard with the pictures, but I hope they may inspire someone to try to do that "big" project!

You say 'DIY land' and your introduction is a universe already :)

Warmest welcome !

Latest posts

Back