48 way TRS patch panel with DB25 connectors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

Looking for an inexpensive 48 way TRS patch panel (2 rows of 24) with DB25 connectors at the rear. I can find some really expensive one (about £1000 or more) but looking for something a lot cheaper.

Cheers

Ian

The Network Sound Mamba patchbays are the only one I can think of that's close. They usually come in 16 per row, can be XLR, TRS, or combo

Signex looks to be just what I need. I do not need normaled pairs.

The JLM is also interesting because it means you can mix and match TRS and XLR to taste

Many thanks for the links.

Cheers

Ian

I know you said TRS, but as a budget-friendly alternative, I often use these Switchcraft mini patchbays that have TT on the front and D-sub on the rear. They come as 16 points for about $250 per module, so you could use two or three of these for under $750. Redco also has a very well-made house brand 96-point TT bay (D-sub on rear) for $600.

https://www.redco.com/Switchcraft-1625-Studiopatch-Patchbay-Module.html

I know you said TRS, but as a budget-friendly alternative, I often use these Switchcraft mini patchbays that have TT on the front and D-sub on the rear. They come as 16 points for about $250 per module, so you could use two or three of these for under $750. Redco also has a very well-made house brand 96-point TT bay (D-sub on rear) for $600.

https://www.redco.com/Switchcraft-1625-Studiopatch-Patchbay-Module.html
Thanks for the link.I should have mentioned at the outset that this is for a test set up for a mixer that had D-sub connectors on all ins and outs. I just need a simple, quick method of plugging test gear into each channel. The test gear interface has combi jack so it will take either XLR or TRS . A TRS patch will give me a quick and easy way work my way though the channels.

Cheers

Ian

Ian....perhaps an inexpensive choice might be a 25 pin Dsub to XLR (or whatever) short length breakout cable? IE, Dsub "octopus" cable.

Bri

Ian....perhaps an inexpensive choice might be a 25 pin Dsub to XLR (or whatever) short length breakout cable? IE, Dsub "octopus" cable.

Bri
That was my first thought. I already purchased a 25D-sub to 8 x free TRS cable which I am using for initial testing. But I keep forgetting which TRS is which - some are ins and some are outs on the same DB25. I keep getting no signal only to find one of the pair of TRS I am using is the wrong one and before long I am going to connect the out of my interface to one of the mixer outs which could compromise the interface and the measurements.

Cheers

Ian

FWIW I used one of the TT -db25 signex bays for a while. Definitely not top of the line but I never noticed any issue with it.

I don’t mean to be snarky but couldn’t you just label the connectors with a sharpie or label maker.

I get what you say. But if you're dealing with it a lot you might well come to the conclusion that you wish you had invested time and/or money in an easy to use patching system.
Now bare in mind that this is coming from someone sat at half past eleven pm in front of a setup trying to work out if he is patching stuff correctly through interfaces to measure in REW. On XP 🤣

I don’t mean to be snarky but couldn’t you just label the connectors with a sharpie or label maker.
Indeed, but when complete, the mixer will have 4 x DB25 connectors so wading through 32 TRS jacks to find the pair I need for a particular test and making sure I have the right pair is not my idea of fun even if they are labelled. I would rather just plug them all into a cheap 48 way TRS patch bay, which was my first thought.

Cheers

Ian

Signex looks to be just what I need. I do not need normaled pairs.

The JLM is also interesting because it means you can mix and match TRS and XLR to taste

Many thanks for the links.

Cheers

Ian
Hi Ian, I have two signex patchbays that I use daily. I also purchased some Hosa patch cables. I noticed I was getting poor connections when lining up my interfaces they were intermittently dropping a little of signal and audible bad connection noise when moving cables. I made up some Neutrik patch cables and these have no issues. Not sure if the Hosa cables are complete junk, or the signex and Hosa sit at opposite ends of tolerance. I thinks more likely a Hosa issue.

It would be nice if signex had used jumpers for the normaling as soldering is a pain to reconfigure.

All in all for the price and ease of DSUB connections I would definitely recommend.

Patcad is a good little app for labelling the patchbays.

Last edited:
Hi Ian, I have two signex patchbays that I use daily. I also purchased some Hosa patch cables. I noticed I was getting poor connections when lining up my interfaces they were intermittently dropping a little of signal and audible bad connection noise when moving cables. I made up some Neutrik patch cables and these have no issues. Not sure if the Hosa cables are complete junk, or the signex and Hosa sit at opposite ends of tolerance. I thinks more likely a Hosa issue.

It would be nice if signex had used jumpers for the normaling as soldering is a pain to reconfigure.

All in all for the price and ease of DSUB connections I would definitely recommend.

Patcad is a good little app for labelling the patchbays.
I have only had bad experiences with HOSA patch cables. A studio I work with purchased a few dozen HOSA TT patch cables maybe two years ago and none of them have survived this long. Several reversed polarity and the others became intermittent or completely failed. I see that HOSA has a "Pro" series now and that they now own several other product lines (including Caig) so maybe they have improved?

Latest posts

Back