Advice for Building a U87 Clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sir_isaaclime

Hi Everyone! I'm looking to build a U87 for a simple home studio that's going to mostly be used to record male vocals and acoustic guitar, but probably also some mandolin, banjo, and violin. I've been lurking the forums and other online sources to gather info, and now I'm facing a bit of analysis paralysis. I'm looking to spend somewhere in the range of $400-$500. I'd be happy buying an assembled microphone, buying a kit (I haven't built a microphone yet, but I've built several complex guitar pedals and have help from an electrical engineer friend if needed), or assembling different pieces from different sellers to create my own kit, but I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck.

Here are the the options I'm looking at currently
--------
Assembled Microphone:
Advanced Audio CM87 ($465): Shop CM87 Advanced Audio Professional Microphone Online

Complete Kits:
JLI Electronics Serena ($299): Serena Microphone Kit
Microphone Parts S3-87 ($489): S3-87 Microphone Kit

Pieces to Assemble to Create a Kit:
Capsules:
JLI Electronics TSC-1 ($31.20): TSC-1
Microphone Parts RK-87 ($169): RK-87 Microphone Capsule)
(Can someone confirm if the two capsules above are the same? They look identical with a big price difference.)
Arienne Audio K87 ($159): K87 Capsule – Arienne Audio – Microphone Capsules

Circuit & Body:
Mellow Audio ME-87i Partial Kit ($191 + Components TBD. Seems like they give you a BOM when you order?): ME-87i Partial Kit - DIY

D-87 Kit ($53 with Styroflex Capacitor Kit and Switch PCB): Vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com
+ Cinemag CM 13113 from Studio 939 ($65): Microphone Transformers
+ Components from Mouser ($53, although is appears that some of components listed are no longer available?): https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=1AD602D54E
+ SYT-5 gen 3 microphone body kit from Studio 939 ($170): SYT-5 gen 3 microphone body kit
(Total $341)

Microphone Parts TL3 Circuit Kit ($209): TL3 Circuit Kit
+ Monoprice 600800 body (~$75 on ebay)
(Total $284)
--------

If the JLI TSC-1 really is the same as the Mic Parts RK-87, then the JLI Serena kit seems like a steal at the price. Alternatively, I could get the Mic Parts TL3 circuit + Monoprice 600800 body + JLI TSC-1 for the cost of a Serena kit if people have objections to the Serena circuit. Or maybe I just call it a day and get teh Advanced Audio CM87 and be done with it lol.

I realize I just dumped a lot of information, but any input or guidance is appreciated!

Unless you have your heart set on building a clone, I'd readily buy a United Studio Technologies Twin 87. You get a vintage and modern U87 sound for $449 (currently on sale). I own a Signal Art Technologies U48 (the sister company to United), and have corresponded with Chad Kelly (owner). He is an ethical, dedicated, knowledgeable person who makes some clever, well-made products. My U48 is very well done and sounds great. Granted, the Twin doesn't look like an 87, but it sounds like one (two actually). This is my best advice.

Video with audio examples:

If you want to go the DIY clone route, I can highly recommend the D87 PCB kit with all the trimmings, as well as the Arienne K87. Add an AMI or Moby T13 transformer and you'll end up with a great sounding U87 clone that's not too challenging to build.

I built a couple of "D87"s with Arienne K87 capsules a year ago. Very happy with them, and I think choosing the components can be part of the fun - forces you to do some reading at least enough to make an informed choice.

I think choosing the components can be part of the fun - forces you to do some reading at least enough to make an informed choice.

Well, perhaps, but informed by what, also kinda matters. It's not at all difficult to get sucked down the rabbit-hole of "boutique" and uber-magic-voodoo components, unfortunately...

Assembled Microphone:
Advanced Audio CM87 ($465): Shop CM87 Advanced Audio Professional Microphone Online

Complete Kits:
JLI Electronics Serena ($299): Serena Microphone Kit
Microphone Parts S3-87 ($489): S3-87 Microphone Kit
If wanting a real U87 clone, none of these 3 are a good idea. Advanced audio has nice mics, but these are sound-alikes and rarely follow the original circuits. The JLI one is a opamp based circuit, so not the same. The MP one is a transformerless design, so again, no clone.
Capsules:
JLI Electronics TSC-1 ($31.20): TSC-1
Microphone Parts RK-87 ($169): RK-87 Microphone Capsule)
(Can someone confirm if the two capsules above are the same? They look identical with a big price difference.)
Arienne Audio K87 ($159): K87 Capsule – Arienne Audio – Microphone Capsules
If in doubt between Arienne Audio and MP's capsule, use the Arienne audio one. JLI TSC-1 is probably the same indeed as the MP one, but the MP one has better quality control (according to them).
Circuit & Body:
Mellow Audio ME-87i Partial Kit ($191 + Components TBD. Seems like they give you a BOM when you order?): ME-87i Partial Kit - DIY

D-87 Kit ($53 with Styroflex Capacitor Kit and Switch PCB): Vintagemicrophonepcbkit.com
+ Cinemag CM 13113 from Studio 939 ($65): Microphone Transformers
+ Components from Mouser ($53, although is appears that some of components listed are no longer available?): https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=1AD602D54E
+ SYT-5 gen 3 microphone body kit from Studio 939 ($170): SYT-5 gen 3 microphone body kit
(Total $341)

Microphone Parts TL3 Circuit Kit ($209): TL3 Circuit Kit
+ Monoprice 600800 body (~$75 on ebay)
(Total $284)
The first 2 seem to be really clones of the circuit, the 3rd one is a transformerless circuit, so not the same.
You're missing a few things though, so here's a better comparison:
D-87 Kit ($53)
+ Components from Mouser ($53)
+ Arienne Audio K87 ($159)
+ Cinemag CM 13113 ($65)
+ SYT-5 gen 3 microphone body kit ($170)
=> $500

Or
Mellow Audio ME-87i Partial Kit ($191)
+ Arienne Audio K87 ($159)
+ Cinemag CM 13113 ($65)
+ SYT-5 gen 3 microphone body kit ($170)
=> $585

There are options for all 3 of those components. Some cheaper, some more expensive, some better, some more original,...
Here's a selection at the other end of the spectrum:
D-87 Kit ($53)
+ Components from Mouser ($53)
+ JLI Electronics TSC-1 ($31.20)
+ 3U audio GZT-87 ($39)
+ Budget YT-5 from studio 939 ($85) (or an even cheaper U87 style body from aliexpress, but check that everything fits, and it has the holes for the 3 switches)
=> $261.20

So somewhere between $250 and $550 is probably a safe bet.
And then there's indeed the AKG mod, which is cheap, but high quality as well.

Can't help wondering just what adds up to THAT much, for ONE microphone worth of parts. And why...
Actually, that's a very good question. I've checked the mouser bom for that project, and ot's the prices mouser quotes for the selected resistors and capacitors (not much else). Some of these resistors and capacitors are more than $4 each :oops:
By choosing some other components, it could be much cheaper indeed. But at the same time, if someone is not really experienced, it's handy to just follow the link and order.

If it was Amazon, one might suspect Dany was getting some commission for whatever orders are made of that BOM, but i doubt Mouser are in that line of business. Can't really come up with any other rational justification for that...

Those prices do seem high, but inflation and supply chain impacts are very real. Component prices have been creeping up everywhere. That said, there are often new/cheaper brands available that undercut the 'old guard' brands. If you don't mind buying resistors from an unrecognizable company, you can save a lot of money vs Vishay. Same for capacitors. The usual Nichicon's and Wima's have become pretty expensive.

I bought metal film resistors out of curiosity at a ridiculous price.
They also arrived very quickly, without problems with taxes, customs, etc.
I analyzed them, they are what they claim, good and sound good.
30 values, 1%, 0.25W
I took 3000 pieces.
😀

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQY2IW9

Attachments

• 1709737498973_1709737535619.jpg
    1709737498973_1709737535619.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back