Air Conditioning... and the black/white market (there IS a connection)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLtech

Florida.

Summer.

Heat.

Humidity.

So the Air Conditioning upstairs in my (split A/C) house  quit working… -Not a big problem thinks I... -Everyone sleeps downstairs and we can get it looked at over the weekend.

-Later on yesterday evening, the MAIN HOUSE unit quits working. –I investigate, and find the coil is frozen up… one solid block of ice.

I switch the A/C to its “heat” setting, pull the cover off, and point a hair dryer at it, to melt the ice. In doing so, I discover why it froze up… a leak seems to have let a significant amount of the Freon out… The leak of course appears to be in the central air handler's coil… -that’s expensive, -naturally! -But it's not connected to the other A/C unit, so there's still more to fix...

While the ice melts, I discover that the condensate drain is blocked. –Too severely blocked for me to clear using my flexi-drain rods, so I have to go to Home Depot and buy a twist-auger to clear it. –All this while the now-overflowing ice-melt runoff is flowing onto the garage floor, (via the -gypsum-board- A/C plenum... making it nice and soggy, and additionally soaking a few things along the way) -lovely.

So last night I got to bed late, and slept perhaps a total of 2 hours in the oppressive heat and humidity…

As a result, if anyone posts stuff which taxes my (somewhat strained) patience, because they don't understand that people don't have to pay to sell personal items, but that just about EVERYONE seems to agree that it's reasonable for those who financially support the forums to be able to promote their wares in a separate forum which people are quite at liberty to visit or avoid (according to their personal whim), or because they think that "the moderators" acted hastily or without significant consideration in dealing with anyone recently, they may get a rude response...

–Don’t worry though, the Air Conditioning repair people are going to make it all better by determining that my bank accaount needs lightening to the tune of several thousand dollars, I have little doubt!

-Bummed.

..and hot.. –VERY hot.

This morning I climbed into the car at 7AM and set the car’s air conditioning to recreate the conditions halfway up the Briksdal Glacier during a particularly severe winter, in the midst of an an ice-storm. –-it was BLISS!

-So this is to serve notice that I might be short-tempered today. -If however, anyone thinks that I should instead be the very model of polite deference and infinite patience in dealing with the significant number of private messages about a particular recent subject, they they are hereby invited to fly to Florida, rent the appropriate tools and equipment, make the journey to my house, repair either one or both of the blessed A/C units, and I will -at that point- entertain the notion of "seeing it from their point of view". But not before.

You have been warned. -I don't feel 'reasonable' today.

Keef

I want PP to host my pop-up adds for my new product, Sham-now.  It's a cotton cloth designed for cleaning the outside of rack equipment, and it can also be cut into small pieces to clean discrete op-amps.  I want the adds to pop up every time a member logs on or off.  And I don't want to pay for this service.  I also want a new commerce section implemented, called the Emperor's Market, where I get to post whatever I want for free, and people have to pay to access this section (and view my Sham-now pop ups).  PP does not get a cut of this access fee, since it will be !?!MY!?! section!!!! :mad:!!!!!  I deserve this because I often share my opinions here on what the best capacitor is and I once helped a guy wire his G9 properly :-*.  I should be compensated for my input.

You got a problem with this KEEF!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Let loose brother!
I'll stay outta the way.
I had a similar day yesterday.
Very few things went my way....and the things that did were covered in $**t!

=J

SSLtech said:
...they they are hereby invited to fly to Florida, rent the appropriate tools and equipment, make the journey to my house, repair either one or both of the blessed A/C units, and I will -at that point- entertain the notion of "seeing it from their point of view". But not before.

I'd say that's a fair deal..  ;D

d.

Emperor Tomato Ketchup said:
I want PP to host my pop-up adds for my new product, Sham-now.  It's a cotton cloth designed for cleaning the outside of rack equipment, and it can also be cut into small pieces to clean discrete op-amps.  I want the adds to pop up every time a member logs on or off.  And I don't want to pay for this service.  I also want a new commerce section implemented, called the Emperor's Market, where I get to post whatever I want for free, and people have to pay to access this section (and view my Sham-now pop ups).  PP does not get a cut of this access fee, since it will be !?!MY!?! section!!!! :mad:!!!!!  I deserve this because I often share my opinions here on what the best capacitor is and I once helped a guy wire his G9 properly :-*.  I should be compensated for my input.

that is just AWSOME. :)

Keith --  sorry to hear about the AC.

02_tannenz_300.JPG

this helps

Right now, I have a cold upstairs A/C unit (failed motor start capacitor), a cold downstairs A/C unit (small leak from just NEXT to the coil, leaked freon charge) and a cold beer at my side.

My mood has lightened almost as much as my wallet.

(almost!!!)

;D

Life is good. -Now if only this beer could be a Kölsch... -ALL of my wishes would have been granted! ;)

Keith

This is a huge part of why I remained in the mountains where I live, about 6500' above sea level.

It has been raining here during the week, gets to about 55 degrees and thats it...turn on a fan...chill.

No mosquito's.

I cannot sleep when I am hot.

Even here I have an ac unit in my bedroom, along with a humidifier (it gets extremely dry I almost lost a Martin Guitar to face splitting before In bought a big commercial humidifier)...

I feel your pain bro, and am glad to hear you got it fixed.

Its amazing what a lack of sleep can bring out of even the best.

Nothing throwing a bunch of money won't fix
my pool [ above ground 400.00 type ] is leaking
had to drain it fix it fill it again , 100.00 to swim
for a few times in our two month summer /
IF my A.C.  was working i'd hide out in the house more
but we don't have your humidity ,we do have much fine beer
however , take care

Hey Keith,

I have a really good AC guy that won't rip you off.  Let me know if you need his number...

hope you get it all worked out.

take care
Gil

I have been paying attention to heating/cooling efficiency and keep coming back to insulation as an area we need to work on, but I recently had another though that I am investigating.

Use of Peltier effect for cooking in the summer. It looks like a company got a patent in 2007 and sells a counter top cooker (1200W and 1500W units)  so I'm checking it out.. Their marketing sounds over the top, but the concept is great... pull heat from room to cook meal.

I just ordered one http://nuwaveoven.net/acc-01.htm and will give a report after I check it out...  I know the company, because I bought one of their fluid bed coffee roasters about ten years ago and it was a real hand grenade, but we'll see if they did a better job on this. I like the concept and would like to see a Peltier water kettle for making tea or coffee, and more. Perhaps use a Peltier unit to recharge desiccant packs for a room dehumidifier while that would require some air flow manipulations (to exhaust hot wet air outside).

JR

PS: Since they once made a coffee roaster, a Peltier heater for roasting coffee might be interesting. My drum roaster may pull more than 1500W on it's heating coil, but I already do that out in my tool/laundry room because of the smoke.

Back