AKG BX 20 problems

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not humbucker, but in order not to be electromagnetically coupled between coils (they use both coils simultaneously for both send and receive functions through a very cunning addition/subtraction scheme).

And mounted at 45degrees in the magnetic gap, to get the same electrodynamic force on both.

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
Not humbucker, but in order not to be electromagnetically coupled between coils (they use both coils simultaneously for both send and receive functions through a very cunning addition/subtraction scheme).

And mounted at 45degrees in the magnetic gap, to get the same electrodynamic force on both.

Jakob E.

Thanks Jakob!

I would be in for two if this gets further...

gyraf said:

Jakob E.

So, Jakob, what you're saying is, it's just two air coils glued together in 45 degree angle? 

Stewart, you ready? Do it! ;D

I am absolutely swamped with repair jobs this month, but haven't forgotten about this. Will give it some attention when I can, but don't hold your breath...

Stewart

Yeah... I'm in the same kind of situation - I haven't forgotten about this, but who know's when I'll get the time...

I guess it really comes down to whoever gets the time to open a BX-20 up and get a broken coil or two for reverse engineering... once we have that then we can move forward.

Here is a photo of what I have in the BX10.  Does it look the same as those found in the BX20?

Attachments

• BX10-1.jpg
    BX10-1.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 80
Thanks for the input Andy - Does your BX10 have a broken coil?

BTW, that photo doesn't show the coil - the coil is hiding in the magnet's gap (the large grey thing with the slot)...

Do we know for sure that the coils are the same between the BX10 and BX20? they are probably similar - the termination looks similar on first glance. But perhaps not the best option for cloning since I believe most people with broken coils have the BX20.

I believe the BX10 is more rugged - I've never encountered/heard of a broken one, not that I've encountered that many.

Just want to show my support for this project.
If it get's to remaking those coils, I'm interested for a few. Got a BX10 and a BX20 nearby.

ibvee said:
Just want to show my support for this project.
If it get's to remaking those coils, I'm interested for a few. Got a BX10 and a BX20 nearby.

More support from a longtime lurker but newbie poster on this board. Got a fully-working BX20 sitting about 8 feet from where I'm sitting, now I've been inspired to take a closer look at it.

K

Attachments

• bx20.jpg
    bx20.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 34
Would there be any possibility to get the info from AKG, if BX20 and BX10 has the same coils?

BTW, you can see the coild in my pictures in the earlier page, the red/brown colored thing inside the second spring...

Bump for trying to keep the dream alive...

If this will succeed we will be able to get this great old vintage sound from dying into obsolescence! Seriously!

+1 Just today had a conversation about this unit, and still really interested in some replacement coils!

Bumping this old thread... really hope one day someone can remake the coils for these old machines.

I'm using my BX20 on a mix now - sounds really amazing... even with the broken coil. It's a slow song and the discrete echo caused by the broken coil is actually kinda in time - a nice fluke.

I this mix I was reminded how good the midrange density is on the BX20 - when it's the right sound for the track I don't think anything can touch it. Except maybe a BX10  :D

I also have a EMT140 and a MasterRoom... each have their place - but there's definitely something special going on with the BX20.

Back