Alesis SR-16 Dim Screen replacement option

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimG

GDIY Supporter
Hi-
I had a SR-16 24 bit drum machine with a dim display, which is pretty common.

I’ve been wringing my hands for a loooong time if I could swap the display from my older thrift store 16 bit version.
I was not able to see a repair procedure online although displays have been for sale in the past. I watched the YouTube about the two versions and decided to at least sacrifice the 16 bit model.

Yeah I forgot to take inner photos!

But what I learned is that the display is placed by the plastic frame to hold it on the right place of the pcb without any wiring at all!

(I also learned that the 24 bit ribbon cable connection the front panel unfastens from header on the PCB but the 16 bit version is soldered.)

It’s not as dramatic in the photos, but the display on the 24 bit SR-16 was almost unusable in dim light. These are taken afterwards.

Also, if you have two, you don’t need to constantly flip it over to see the presets! 😃👍

So a cheap thrift store 16 bit version display will fix your 24 bit version in about 10 minutes of screw removal and replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_2540.jpeg
    IMG_2540.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2541.jpeg
    IMG_2541.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2542.jpeg
    IMG_2542.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Back