brief history of audio excerpt from my buddys book.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
catching up on some text from the good book

“Some basic facts:
1. The first thing one must understand about a studio is that it is a business.
2. Like any business, if the studio can’t show a profit then it won’t stay in business.
3. No business is a bottomless well of financial resources.
4. An empty studio is worthless. Any income is better than no income.
5. Everything is negotiable.

A SUMMARY OF TIPS FOR INTERFACING WITH OTHERS IN A RECORDING STUDIO ENVIRONMENT

1. Be on time. Nothing lets a client down more than not being there for them.
2. Show motivation. Be enthusiastic and businesslike. Try to match the mood or “air” of the session.
3. Show a willingness to learn. The first step to learning is to know that you don’t know it all already. A know-it-all can’t learn anything as he “knows better” than everyone else.
4. Be positive. Don’t let yourself look lethargic or down. A positive attitude reinforces the strengths of the studio. And, it doesn’t hurt to smile once in a while either.
5. Keep a cool head under pressure. Always maintain a calm tone of voice regardless of the circumstances.
6. Never show any disrespect toward anyone---client or not!
7. Avoid conversation beyond the normal pleasantries. Conversation slows the work flow.
8. Never offer an opinion about anything and when asked for one, be diplomatic. Be evasive!
9. Topics to avoid at all costs are Religion and Politics and when in the presence of the opposite sex, try to avoid discussing sexually oriented subjects. Any conversation can get you into trouble in a studio, so do yourself a favor and just don’t get conversational.
10. Keep it clean. No cursing and avoid those touchy innuendoes that offend so many.
11. Prolonged eye contact invites conversation and in the case of celebrities can make them nervous. Remember, this is their sanctuary. So, avoid staring.
12. Avoid gossip. Don’t listen in and never offer any. Gossip is a sure way to destroy any trust a client may have had in you.
13. Show respect for your coworkers. Be supportive and lend a hand.
14. Don’t fuss or whine or share your troubles within earshot of a client. Even little comments like, “I didn’t get much sleep last night,” can make a client feel like maybe he’s not getting 100% back on his investment.
15. Lend a hand. When you see someone moving equipment, offer to help.
16. Adhere to studio hierarchy. Never try to do the job of anyone above you unless invited to do so by that person. Always take responsibility for the duties of those below you. If they drop the ball, be ready to cover that area without drawing undue attention to the lapse. Then, at an appropriate time, make the needed corrections within your staff.
Music Studio Survival – The Etiquette and the Politics –64– by J.C. Christie

17. Be professional. This means BE EFFECTIVE! And, being effective means getting things done. Providing our service is how we get our jobs done. This also means, don’t just suck up to people. Just be effective. Then, if a mistake happens, don’t apologize beyond something simple. An overdone apology just draws undo attention to the mistake and thus pulls their attention off the project at hand.
18. Watch it with your own cigarette smoke. Many of your clients and coworkers are sensitive to cigarette smoke and it can’t be good for the equipment either. Many studios and even some cities have invoked strict nonsmoking rules and regulations.
19. Know your studio from the ground up. Maintaining a high level of service depends on your knowing what you’re doing at all times.
20. Know the neighborhood. Know the best restaurants and shops. Know where the post office and Fed-Ex are. Know the local music and record stores. Anything a client may need, you should be able to direct them to.
21. It’s ok to “absorb” the mistakes of those above you as it helps keep the session from bogging down in the confusion that surrounds an adverse situation. Such benevolence will be quietly appreciated by those that know what's going on.
22. You must absorb the mistakes of those below you as responsibility follows the chain of command, which is from top to bottom in an organization and the lower levels can never be neglected, as they make up the foundation upon which the rest of the business is built.
23. Stay close. If you’re assigned to a session stay near by so that you can be quickly located when needed. Don’t wander off from the studio without letting somebody know where you can be found.
24. Want to impress someone? Arrive early, stay late, work hard and never complain!”

I very much enjoyed reading the original post. It was informative, clever and funny. It is important to know that A.G. Bell didn't invent the microphone but Emile Berliner did for Bell's telephone. Also, A.G. Bell invented the photophone immediately after the telephone and thus starts light beam communication.
Someone please correct me if I have any of this wrong!

Studio Etiquette: "1. Be on time" When I used to teach my students about studio behavior my motto was "If you're on time, you're late." Be early to allow for something to go wrong (traffic congestion) or some disaster when you get to the gig.

Latest posts

Back