Amek Supertrue & Virtual Dynamics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krabbencutter

Hey,

I'm working with a friend of mine on potentially creating a custom & open replacement board for Amek Virtual Dynamics. Fortunately enough he still has a working Amek desk with Supertrue & Virtual Dynamics. But before I think about putting probes anywhere in there I wanted to ask if anyone here has any deeper insight into those systems. Right now the most interesting part would be the serial communication between Supertrue and the 8051 based MCUs on the Virtual Dynamics boards (80C32). I tried running Supertrue in Dosbox, Dosbox-X as well as on FreeDOS but had no success. I can run the console configuration setup just fine, but when I start Supertrue I only get a grey screen :/

Firstly, thank you for the hex for the EPROM that you posted in the library.

Strangely enough I was also planning to work on the same. I have a full set of boards.

However I am in the process of moving office and I will not be able to start before mid-end of May. If you can wait we can run both projects in parallel.

1713631072942.jpeg

Awesome! This project is definitely going to take a while and I'm happy to collaborate :)
Is the PCB on the left the one that is connected to your PC? If so, can you maybe upload another image of it?
What's on the upside-down PCBs? I have a spare 1147 VD board from an Angela 2 console for analysis and it doesn't feature those upside down PCBs.
And why aren't there stickers on your eproms? :eek: The opening in the middle of the chips is used to erase the data with UV light.

I will have answers to your questions once I put the patient on the operating table. But indeed the EPROMS have no version label on them and I am wondering if they are actually blank. I'll ask Graham about that. The picture is just some of the stuff in the box that was shelved since I got them. The upside down boards should be the the VCA cards. However, these boards belong to the stand-alone version of the VD that was proposed at some point. I have all the documentation too but I have not gone through them yet. I will do as soon as I settle in the new office.

Where did you get the hex file?

Last edited:
Exciting stuff!
I read out the eproms myself with an arduino. The arduino is connected to a CD4040 and will step through all the address registers of the eprom and read the data. I then use putty to save the serial binary data to a file. Last but not least I use VScode to trim the data and convert it to hex with this extension: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=attilathedud.data-converter
Even though it's a makeshift solution it works very reliable. I should also be able to rewire & rewrite it to burn data to the eprom.

Attachments

• PXL_20240414_143720243.jpg
    PXL_20240414_143720243.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 2764_4040_eprom_read.zip
    624 bytes · Views: 0
Welldone with reading the EPROM.

The micro on the boards I have is Intel 80C321 which I would imagine would be read protected. But since this is a development board with a bit of luck they may be unprotected.

Can you post a photograph of the board you have?

Sure, I'll post an image later. But the board is mostly identical to yours, just without the "upside down" VCAs.
The 80C32 does not have internal ROM and all the ROM-Data is in the 27C64.
Edit: There's a 9098i service manual in the Amek thread and the Virtual Dynamics circuitry on page 8 is (afaik) consistent across all Amek desks: https://groupdiy.com/threads/amek.44846/
Edit: image attached

Attachments

• PXL_20240422_164205505.jpg
    PXL_20240422_164205505.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Indeed. 541 has the internal ROM.

I have the 9098i manual. I also have the full schematic independently.

Graham said the board was fully working at the time. He also said there have been a few tweaks made to the EPROM firmware. So, I am guessing that the whole thing was shelved and they forgot to seal the EPROMs. I am not sure how many times the box was opened. Hope not too many, particularly in bright daylight. I have opened it only once as I had other boards. So, there is the unfortunate possibility that the bit pattern may have been corrupted if not wholly erased. But we'll know once I have it laid on the table. I will of course open the box under low light and seal the ROMs immediately

Last edited:
I have dug out some pictures to try to see what's in the box.

Now, the picture I posted above has the processor board AM1147B which is what you have, less the additional VCA boards. I have the schematic for this board.

The processor board in 9098i manual is HM787E. I have a blank earlier version HM787D. The QC label signs it off as passed. So, I would imagine when populated it should work.

1713827539507.jpeg

The small board on my first picture connected to AM1147B processor board is the Serial Interface and Solo card TK 1433B. I also have the schematic for this board.

1713827928031.jpeg

Indeed. 541 has the internal ROM.

I have the 9098i manual. I also have the full schematic independently.

Graham said the board was fully working at the time. He also said there have been a few tweaks made to the EPROM firmware. So, I am guessing that the whole thing was shelved and they forgot to seal the EPROMs. I am not sure how many times the box was opened. Hope not too many, particularly in bright daylight. I have opened it only once as I had other boards. So, there is the unfortunate possibility that the bit pattern may have been corrupted if not wholly erased. But we'll know once I have it laid on the table. I will of course open the box under low light and seal the ROMs immediately
If you read out all four eproms we should be able to piece the data together. Visual Studio Code has a very useful comparison feature that will automatically highlight differences between two files. And even though I'm a bit paranoid about UV erasable eproms, you need strong amounts of UV for extended periods of time. It's also unlikely that all four eproms would lose data in the same registers.

Thank you for digging out the additional images 👍I haven't compared the schematics in detail but the AM1147 & HM787 boards should be mostly identical when it comes to the VD control circuitry. I also found schematics for the 1433 and the serial interface doesn't look too complicated. I will try to source the ICs so that I can build one myself.

Handy hint: Connecting plus 18 Volts to the 5 Volt logic supply terminal makes the logic chips catch fire!
VD interfaces were 1040 and 1060 boards as well as the later 1433 which has the extra VCA so that PFL/AFL will 'follow' channels that are soloed or PFL/AFL. VD also worked with an Atari so the data sent was a TTL level version of midi. I THINK the 787 boards were the same EPROM version for ATARI and 'IBM' automation, or at least I don't remember changimg VD eproms ever ewhen converting ATARI Supertrue desks to IBM (Mozart, Hendrix and Big desks).

Back