Ampeg VT-40 overhaul questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PRR said:
The V/VT-series amps' PTs were wound to support the 1.6A tubes, and sockets wired for same. 6550 IS the design tube, and a factory option, but buyers were cheap/poor so nearly all went to work with 7027 "starter tubes".

OK, so it's a simple matter of rewiring the sockets and installing the 6550s?

It's not like I can actually use the amp at home.

I'm new and glad this is here.
I have a 76-79 vt-40- version 2 white rocker switches- with channel one not passing signal, no power to v1.
I ordered the recap kit from fliptops and have done a visual inside chassis. Someone has done some diddling.

The mallory FP288 multi cap- which is 40uf/40uf/500V has the center lugs soldered together leading to a 3.3k ohm 10W cement resistor(with a visible crack) to a turret strip with two  47uf 450V caps. Please see attachment- notice black tape...

The rub-  I am on a secluded island where there are no techs I am willing to risk with but have been doing my own repairs to several solid state amps with safety foremost the past several years.  This is different I know but I am confident replacing part for part which is what I am planning to do.

What is this mess?

Attachments

• Multi cap bungle.png
    Multi cap bungle.png
    619.7 KB · Views: 38
safety first, make sure you're comfortable draining all the big filter caps.

since your issue is only with channel 1 that narrows things down a lot.  I'd just use a multimeter to search for the B+ voltage that's missing from V1.  maybe your amp is a different version than the schematic I'm looking at, but the B+ voltage for V1 comes from the same spot as V2's B+, so if V2 is getting proper voltage supplied to it, my first guess would be an open plate resistor or damaged PCB trace around V1. 

Back