AMS Neve 1073 Sweeps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaron, thanks for this incredibly ear-opening thread, I feel your commitment and have great respect for you sinking your teeth into this!!

The "new" AMS 1073 you have found your happiness in - is it a new one (current production line 1073 CH)?
Issue 7, is that regarding the serial number? Any thoughts on the 1073n?

Thanks!

It's been allot of fun so far. The current 1073 I own is a Issue 7 just like my other one was. Definitely something special about this issue. Even though it's 2014, both units I purchased recently were built in 2012. It's because these things don't exactly fly off the shelf at $3,400 per module.

This month I will be putting a vintage Marinair LO1166 in my unit for further testing between the current outputs vs the vintage. I will also be putting a Marinair input transformer in. I  hear they are wound differently than the carnhill/st ives. Something to do with reverse windings and a different alloy composition.

Attachments

• IMG_8845.jpg
    IMG_8845.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 52
thanks a lot for the info!

I've spent tons of time with DIY in Pultec and API component/choices wonderland and am feeling an itch for something Neveish without opening a can of worms. I might just give the budget-friendlier 1073n a try, although SMD stuff still freaks me out :) I guess I could move up the game by selling it without a loss if it doesn't hold up...

Think that AMS-Neve version had a smaller gap than the old Marinair because they couldn't get the inductans high enough.  Smaller gap = lower headroom :eek:
Not sure that AMS-Neve uses Carnhill anymore

not this thread again!  :D

just a few notes, the original 1166 OPT had a reverse wind in it,

also, it was random wound, and the wired was tensioned almost to the breaking point in order to get all the turns on there, in fact, the main failure on those OPT's was probably a broken wire near the core,

i believe the Carnhill stuff has nice even layers and no reverse wind, which might make a difference in sound,

also, there is apparently a difference between new and older 2N3055 transistors, older units were made differently and have a lower freq response, so if you use a new 3055 you might have hi-freq osc going on,

more info on this is in the Acoustic 470 amp thread,

can someone tell me how is made the 12K high shelf in 1073.

i have 1073EZ, and i find that the High Shelf is too "rude" i want to try to make it more smooth..

any idea?

PS: i follow Aaronrash , and my neve1073 is getting better. real nice find.

Aaronrash said:
Here's a good read regarding the high end of the AMS. This is a good thread to check out. It also talks about how bright the vintage units are as well.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/6794062-post30.html

I mean... Go listen to some old Fleetwood Mac. The sound is there in spades. Especially nicks vocal on Rihannon. Super bright and sweet. That's the good old 8028 with 1080s I believe

No you're wrong,
that was 1db at 5khz with a wide Q that was added in mastering

Thanks!

It's been allot of fun so far. The current 1073 I own is a Issue 7 just like my other one was. Definitely something special about this issue. Even though it's 2014, both units I purchased recently were built in 2012. It's because these things don't exactly fly off the shelf at $3,400 per module.

This month I will be putting a vintage Marinair LO1166 in my unit for further testing between the current outputs vs the vintage. I will also be putting a Marinair input transformer in. I hear they are wound differently than the carnhill/st ives. Something to do with reverse windings and a different alloy composition.
Hi Aarron!

I recently bought the AMS 1073 module (issue 7), and I have noticed that when I turn on the EQ and set everything flat (HF at Zero, Mids and Lows at OFF position), the sound is a little darker than when the EQ is disengaged. It seems that when the EQL is on, there is a slight drop in the treble. It is felt in the air frequency zone. Could you tell me please, Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my module?
I read somewhere that when the equalizer is on, a slight HF roll-off is observed. I just want to make sure it's okay.

This is probably due to the knob of the HF pot being a bit off.
You can run a white noise through the unit, engage EQ and set all controls so that it measures flat. Then readjust the knob cap so that its pointed to zero mark on the front panel.

Yes, agreed the 1073 HF pot is always in... unlike the 1084. if the pot isn't indexed properly you never know where the high end is gonna be.. I've been repairing vintage units and I've found with proper care, they are amazingly flat, with lots of work I've gotten modules 20hz-45khz flat within 0.1dB variance. incredible design!

Latest posts

Back