Antelope Audio - Townsend Labs Sphere - Mic modelling

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosski

Hello everyone!

This is my first post, and I'm thrilled to finally join this community of microphone enthusiasts and legends. I've been silently absorbing a wealth of knowledge from discussions over the past few months, and I'd love to share my thoughts and ideas with you all.

I work with vocals a lot, particularly in processing. But most of all, I'm a student in all I can possibly learn in this life both from my uni peers and legends like all of you. The wealth of knowledge and expertise in this community is truly inspiring, and I'm eager to contribute my perspective, ideas and learn even more from your experiences.

Now, let's dive into my exciting topic… mic modelling.. 😅

My story began with a profound interest in capsules, their history, and the intricate details that make each one unique. I was captivated by the Townsend Labs Sphere mic modelling system, and I vividly remember the days when I yearned to own it but couldn't quite afford it at the time (I even downloaded the software at that time, not realizing it required a dual-output dual capsule mic!). Regardless, I shoved my SE Electronics X1S mic into it with horrible results. However, this fascination drove me to explore every aspect of the L22, capsules, and the technology with my limited knowledge.

As time went by, Townsend Labs L22 evolved into the Universal Audio Sphere DLX, but my pursuit of mic modelling technology persisted. The concept of having a mic cabinet in my studio, with the ability to select alternatives and post-process variables such as polar patterns, fascinated me. This somehow led me to the group DIY community, and I fell down the rabbit hole of wisdom and legends.

I learned a great deal, particularly in discussions related to DIY dual-output microphones, notably @kingkorg @mihi_fuchs @Wordsushi @Tim Campbell . Inspired by their insights and the wealth of knowledge shared here, I was on the verge of building my first DIY microphone – a dual-output mic with the Alice OPA dual board and a 797 CY002 capsule. However, my plans took an interesting turn (thank god) when I discovered the Antelope Edge Duo microphone and the impressive 18 emulations it offered.

It got me thinking that with King Korg's EQ curve, maybe I could even explore the Townsend Labs models and could potentially save the hassle and cost of building a dual-output microphone from scratch (which most likely would end up a Frankenstein being my first build). 🤖

So now, I've owned the Edge Duo mic for 4 months and been really impressed by its use. I have had some situations where an artist recorded his vocals on an RE-20 and C414 at a different studio, and using the Edge Duo emulations, it was hardly noticeable in the mix or in the vocal composition stage. The chopped takes blended in with no noticeable difference (in the mix).

My question is, how well would the Townsend software work with the Edge Duo microphone considering the different capsule and I'm assuming circuitry from my limited knowledge? I looked at available data on the Edge Duo on Audio Test Kitchen, and from seeing the frequency responses on some models Townsend shares, there were quite some differences where Antelope was very close to the modelled mics such as the U47 FET, while Townsend looked better such as the Sony C800 emulation.

Attachments

• edge duo capsule side.jpg
    edge duo capsule side.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • edge duo close up capsule.jpg
    edge duo close up capsule.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • edge duo.jpg
    edge duo.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • audiokitchen duo vs sphere.png
    audiokitchen duo vs sphere.png
    139 KB · Views: 0
  • SONYEDGESPHERE.png
    SONYEDGESPHERE.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 0
  • U47FET.png
    U47FET.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 0
  • U67.png
    U67.png
    179.9 KB · Views: 0
im still in pursuit of building a dual output mic as it is a must!!! but im in the process of learning to walk before running by doing smaller projects as advised.

If you made an eq correction so that you match Edge's response to L22's i don't see a reason for Edge not to perform exactly as L22. Maybe use existing audio files on atk and matching EQ like Fab Filter or CurveEQ to get approximate EQ curve. You could also go by the graph on ATK and see if the resulted correction curve makes sense. Btw, Sphere c800 emulation is spot on, as can be heard from ATK examples.

Hello everyone!

This is my first post, and I'm thrilled to finally join this community of microphone enthusiasts and legends. I've been silently absorbing a wealth of knowledge from discussions over the past few months, and I'd love to share my thoughts and ideas with you all.

I work with vocals a lot, particularly in processing. But most of all, I'm a student in all I can possibly learn in this life both from my uni peers and legends like all of you. The wealth of knowledge and expertise in this community is truly inspiring, and I'm eager to contribute my perspective, ideas and learn even more from your experiences.

Now, let's dive into my exciting topic… mic modelling.. 😅

My story began with a profound interest in capsules, their history, and the intricate details that make each one unique. I was captivated by the Townsend Labs Sphere mic modelling system, and I vividly remember the days when I yearned to own it but couldn't quite afford it at the time (I even downloaded the software at that time, not realizing it required a dual-output dual capsule mic!). Regardless, I shoved my SE Electronics X1S mic into it with horrible results. However, this fascination drove me to explore every aspect of the L22, capsules, and the technology with my limited knowledge.

As time went by, Townsend Labs L22 evolved into the Universal Audio Sphere DLX, but my pursuit of mic modelling technology persisted. The concept of having a mic cabinet in my studio, with the ability to select alternatives and post-process variables such as polar patterns, fascinated me. This somehow led me to the group DIY community, and I fell down the rabbit hole of wisdom and legends.

I learned a great deal, particularly in discussions related to DIY dual-output microphones, notably @kingkorg @mihi_fuchs @Wordsushi @Tim Campbell . Inspired by their insights and the wealth of knowledge shared here, I was on the verge of building my first DIY microphone – a dual-output mic with the Alice OPA dual board and a 797 CY002 capsule. However, my plans took an interesting turn (thank god) when I discovered the Antelope Edge Duo microphone and the impressive 18 emulations it offered.

It got me thinking that with King Korg's EQ curve, maybe I could even explore the Townsend Labs models and could potentially save the hassle and cost of building a dual-output microphone from scratch (which most likely would end up a Frankenstein being my first build). 🤖

So now, I've owned the Edge Duo mic for 4 months and been really impressed by its use. I have had some situations where an artist recorded his vocals on an RE-20 and C414 at a different studio, and using the Edge Duo emulations, it was hardly noticeable in the mix or in the vocal composition stage. The chopped takes blended in with no noticeable difference (in the mix).

My question is, how well would the Townsend software work with the Edge Duo microphone considering the different capsule and I'm assuming circuitry from my limited knowledge? I looked at available data on the Edge Duo on Audio Test Kitchen, and from seeing the frequency responses on some models Townsend shares, there were quite some differences where Antelope was very close to the modelled mics such as the U47 FET, while Townsend looked better such as the Sony C800 emulation.
Cant go into details how i did this, but if ATK data is correct this should be the exact correction curve Edge to L22. Load csv file in Voxengo CurveEQ before the plugin, and test Edge with Sphere vst ;)

If you made an eq correction so that you match Edge's response to L22's i don't see a reason for Edge not to perform exactly as L22. Maybe use existing audio files on atk and matching EQ like Fab Filter or CurveEQ to get approximate EQ curve. You could also go by the graph on ATK and see if the resulted correction curve makes sense. Btw, Sphere c800 emulation is spot on, as can be heard from ATK examples.
HOLYYY!!.... this why im afraid to post on here.... you guys if i may say are God level to a peasant like me. I was just about to post that I'm going to try the fabfilter approach as I'm slightly familiar with eq matching but never knew how to create a corrective eq curve until reading your previous posts regarding impulse responses (as i love reverb and field recording).. the other question is do you think the edge duo would have a corrective eq in the software as you mentioned in your previous findings with L22 and regarding the sphere DLX being corrected in the circuit..? Many thanks again for the quick response and for this gem!!. P.s i just had a good A/B listen to the sphere c800 model in ATK and daamn theyre great!! antelope sounded great in the mix but i can hear the difference when soloing vocals. im hoping to do some tests and promise to share results as my university has a good selection of mics to play with.

HOLYYY!!.... this why im afraid to post on here.... you guys if i may say are God level to a peasant like me. I was just about to post that I'm going to try the fabfilter approach as I'm slightly familiar with eq matching but never knew how to create a corrective eq curve until reading your previous posts regarding impulse responses (as i love reverb and field recording).. the other question is do you think the edge duo would have a corrective eq in the software as you mentioned in your previous findings with L22 and regarding the sphere DLX being corrected in the circuit..? Many thanks again for the quick response and for this gem!!. P.s i just had a good A/B listen to the sphere c800 model in ATK and daamn theyre great!! antelope sounded great in the mix but i can hear the difference when soloing vocals. im hoping to do some tests and promise to share results as my university has a good selection of mics to play with.
Judging by the graph on ATK i'd say all the correction happens in software. Let us know how it works out :D

Judging by the graph on ATK i'd say all the correction happens in software. Let us know how it works out :D
Yessirr i will do 100 percent!! i intend to bug my tutors at my university to dust out all those mics in the locker and put them to use!.. they have several mics both software's emulate and I'm very curious in finding out how would they perform side to side with the real thing. i just need to think of a way to make this a fair test and what would be a good approach. :unsure:

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 4.png
    4.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 5.png
    5.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 1
  • imw mic list.png
    imw mic list.png