Baxandall EQ questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to create a tube pre-amp with a baxandall EQ. I've searched bits and pieces and came up with this design.
You can use this proven design for inspiration - an Ampeg B15n Portaflex bass amp.

If you want to feed an existing high-impedance instrument amp, the preamp is sufficient, if you want to play into a console or interface (or even lower impedances), you need a driver output, possibly a tube cathode follower with or without output transformer. Solid state is of course also possible.

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 12-52-46 B-15N Schematics 1.pdf.png
Edit: Ampeg, not Apogee 😅

Last edited:
Thanks all!! This is great information. I can carry on with my project with confidence. When I'm finished I will share :)

It has indeed an internal little pre-amp already, powered by a 9V battery. It's a single transistor stage with output transformer.
I was planning to keep that the way it is. But now you mention it, I will experiment with higher gain and removing this stage.

The schematic of the Apogee B15n Portaflex bass amp looks very similar to my plans. I will definitely use it as a reference (or copy it completely). Thanks!

I'm going to build it from a Hammond percussion amp, so I would like to keep it simple so that everything fits in there.
I am also a great fan of single knob things. So I'm going to combine the bass and treble control in one stepped rotary switch + a by-pass switch. So although the 3 band would be more flexible, I'm not going to use it. Thanks for the idea anyway!

The schematic of the Apogee B15n Portaflex bass amp looks very similar to my plans. I will definitely use it as a reference (or copy it completely). Thanks!
The manufacturer is of course Ampeg and not Apogee. I have corrected my original (stupid) mistake. 😅 Sorry!

You may be disappointed because the pickups are low impedance and thus the solid-state preamp is probably best in terms of noise than a tube stage that is definitely better for high-impedance sources.
Yes.
But there is a trick - the pot installed on the guitar.
If is linear, the amp must have relatively low input impedance. Around 1/4 to 1/10 of the pot impedance will convert the linear pot to logarithmic.

If the pot is logarithmic, the amp must have high input impedance.

Here is an example:

1707198970887.png

Yes.
But there is a trick - the pot installed on the guitar.
If is linear, the amp must have relatively low input impedance.
1Megohm input impedance has a very limited effect on the actual taper of a typical 250 or 500k volume pot..
If the pot is logarithmic, the amp must have high input impedance.
Which is the case here.

Back