Benchtop mill choice (Sherline, Taig, other?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this one. http://romaxxcncrouters.com/romaxx-cnc-router-hs-1

It's just big enough to do a faceplate.  $2500. Made in Detroit.  I spoke to the owner and he said engraving through powder coat into aluminum wouldn't be a problem.  The Chinese ebay ones  for a quarter of the price ones look flimsy to me.

How does this one look to those who know?

I could probably afford the industrial spindle he offers. Would it be better to start with a Bosch router or the like? I don't want to destroy an expensive spindle.

I don't know this one, but it looks like belt driven. Personally, I'd stay away. The ballscrew ones are by far more rigid. I frequently see Hermes Vanguard (industry standard good US made machines--my engraver does our Stainless Steel microphone bodies (!!!) with those machines!) going for some $400. Those use old control towers... just through them away, add some $300 for Gecko 540 driver, and $175 for Mach3 license (after all, we are DIY) and you are good to go for way under $1000. Add to it a good spindle, if you wish, and you can do A LOT with that baby!

Just my $0.02

Best, M

Gold said:
I found this one. http://romaxxcncrouters.com/romaxx-cnc-router-hs-1

It's just big enough to do a faceplate.  $2500. Made in Detroit.  I spoke to the owner and he said engraving through powder coat into aluminum wouldn't be a problem.  The Chinese ebay ones  for a quarter of the price ones look flimsy to me.

How does this one look to those who know?

I could probably afford the industrial spindle he offers. Would it be better to start with a Bosch router or the like? I don't want to destroy an expensive spindle.

Marik said:
I don't know this one, but it looks like belt driven. Personally, I'd stay away. The ballscrew ones are by far more rigid. I frequently see Hermes Vanguard (industry standard good US made machines--my engraver does our Stainless Steel microphone bodies (!!!) with those machines!) going for some $400. Those use old control towers... just through them away, add some $300 for Gecko 540 driver, and $175 for Mach3 license (after all, we are DIY) and you are good to go for way under $1000. Add to it a good spindle, if you wish, and you can do A LOT with that baby!

The Hermes Vanguard looks a lot better to me too. The integrated spindle is a big plus too. Good to know I can use a modern controller with them.  I think I will take your advice.

Latest posts

Back