Beyer M88's

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drpat

These things are my "go to" kick drum mic. As most of you know, that's a big no no. As it's usually cheaper to replace the whole mic than it is to buy the capsules, I have a pretty large stock of dead ones laying around.

Now the question is, what should I do with the dead ones? Are the transformers worthy of DIY status? Any recommendations on a cheaper capsule to fix the mics? Can I use the mic bodies in a DIY xylophone? Inquiring minds want to know...

Side Note: I can vary the rate at which my (Pucho's) avatar shakes his head by moving my mouse faster or slower. Weird!!!!

Beyer M88s are great.

The capsules will likely have broken voide-coils or the diaphragms will be shagged.

Do they actually use a transformer? Many Beyers don't - the coils are 200 Ohms.

You could probably fit a condenser capsule of some sort in there. I wouldn't bother buying dynamic capsules.

Beyer have a good part-exchange deal for broken mics. You could also sell them on Evilbay.

It's not a ribbon , are they that delicate ? , cause i've been using
my old silver one for kik too and i like it
How have your's gone ? a quick death or slowly crapping out ?

regards Greg

[quote author="rodabod"]The capsules will likely have broken voide-coils or the diaphragms will be shagged.[/quote]
:shock:

-Is that a threat??? :shock:

-I'd better make sure my void-coil isn't broken!!!

:twisted:

Keef

Thanks Rodabod,

Maybe I'll venture into the great unknown of mic DIY. I'll start reading the Meta for capsule and amp ideas... Gotta finish my passive EQ's first...

[quote author="okgb"]How have your's gone ? a quick death or slowly crapping out ?[/quote]

If you do a lot of tracking, they're good for a few months, then one day, you'll hear a subtle clipping which will accelerate into a total failure, probably within the same session.

I guess it depends on the drummer/type of music. A lot of drummers that I work with destroy DW kick pedals too...

[quote author="SSLtech"]
-Is that a threat??? :shock:
[/quote]

Yes, it is indeed. :razz:

If your "void-coil" is broken, then the microphone sex offenders will come round and shag your mics until their..... Nevermind!

Drpat - remove the grill and see if there is continuity between thye voice-coil terminals.

Also make sure that the humbuck-coil is not broken.

Probably irrepairable though.

Rod,

I cracked one open, and there's continuity between the center one and the right one, but no continuity between the left one and anything else. This ia as the diaphragm is pointing straight up.

Those have to be the smallest phillips screws I've ever unscrewed!!! Took me a while to find a bit that fit...

[quote author="drpat"]
I cracked one open, and there's continuity between the center one and the right one, but no continuity between the left one and anything else.[/quote]

Hmmm. I opened mine but can't remember which terminal is which. Are you able to tell which terminals are attached to the humbuck coil? The HB coil is in series with one side of the capsule coil.

Those have to be the smallest phillips screws I've ever unscrewed!!! Took me a while to find a bit that fit...

You should try opening an AKG D19.

Roddy

OK, so putting a flashlight on it, I could see that the tiny wire attached to the right terminal is going to the coil that's wrapped around the ouside of the diaphragm. I'm assuming that this is the humbuck coil. The left terminal wire is routed towards the inside of the mic, to what I'm assuming would be the voice coil. The middle contact has two wires, each going to a seperate coil.

If my assumptions are correct, then the voice coil has no continuity...

[quote author="drpat"]I'm assuming that this is the humbuck coil. [/quote]

Yes.

If my assumptions are correct, then the voice coil has no continuity...

Dang. Well, you could try unsoldering the HB coil just to be sure of which terminal is which, but I agree, that doesn't sound good.

I did once have an M88 with a broken HB coil which is a simple fix.

A capsule dissectio would be cool by the way. :wink:

sorry for reviving this vintage thread, but I am having a go at restoring a busted Beyer M88 TG and thought this might be the right place to ask: how the **** do you get the capsule out of the mic body after taking off the grill?

it looks like I'll have to resolder all three wires to the wire pads, and it would be much easier to do this with the capsule element out of the casing...

any ideas?

m88_1.JPG

m88_2.JPG

m88_3.JPG

If I were to venture a guess, I would say the assembly unscrews., and that there would be a chamber that extends down into the base of the microphone.

If it does, be careful when unscrewing.  The wires connected to the XLR connector may not appreciate twisting  in circles .  They tend to like breaking off in retaliation.

ju

thanks ju, that would have been my guess as well, but I couldn't manage to unscrew any parts even using a pair of pincers.

the thing is, the capsule can be rotated but I can't pull it out so there has to be some kind of locking mechanism.

ok, Beyer were so nice to send me an exploded view drawing of the M88 mics and indeed there are two threads, one holding the XLR connector and the other one holding the lower mic grill, but on my particular model are glued with two component glue and need heating to open. I gave it a shot with brute force, but no chance, these are "unbreakable" :)

@Whoops: did you manage to repair your M88tg?

I won't find the time to repair mine, so if you are interested, I will let mine go for cheap, let me know if you are interested!

Back