Brexit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides what is being reported in the news ,  I actually have a very first hand experience of  this by a bunch of people who were placed next door to us by the council.

And the fact that they were immigrants determined their propensity for criminality? Earlier generation immigrants such as yourself or indigenous Brits wouldn’t commit the same crimes? Are you familiar with the phrase ‘tarring everyone with the same brush’?

Yes I do but unfortunately I can not disclose them without their consent. It will be highly unlikely that they would like to be disclosed anyway. But let's say that they work as housing officers and social workers.

Well, that’s a coincidence, as it was exactly the kind of rhetoric propagated by Ukip and the Daily Mail in the run-up to the referendum…

Each of your concerns is addressed at this web link, so they’re hardly original claims: https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/ian-sinclair/7-myths-about-immigration

You have insulted me by calling me a first racist, then immoral and then xenophobic

Can you show me where I ‘called’ you any of these things? I might have suggested certain viewpoints you espoused had commonality with statements made by people who are the type you name, but it would be ad-hominem to suggest I went beyond that, I think.  Human beings are complex, and may have views that seemingly conflict with one another.

if you think uncontrolled immigration has no social and economic impact then  we'll agree to disagree and walk away amicably.

About half the people in the street I live on are recent migrants to London. Some of them do get my goat occasionally and I dare say some might have criminal intent, but that’s because they’re people, not immigrants.

I do think it has social and economic impact (most studies tend to suggest it’s positive, not negative – as with your experience). My point is simply that I believe denying a right to others which you yourself were granted, is discriminatory - in my humble opinion.

VW has their own significant problems

A criticism I have of EU legislation (and German - or indeed British, as the same has happened here, many times) is that Winterkorn is walking around, with a large severance package, having been the figurehead of an organisation which committed a significant crime. He should be charged. I can't imagine smaller fish committing equivalent crimes getting away with it. It's like dumping tons of toxic waste into the local stream and getting away with it.

thermionic said:
VW has their own significant problems

A criticism I have of EU legislation (and German - or indeed British, as the same has happened here, many times) is that Winterkorn is walking around, with a large severance package, having been the figurehead of an organisation which committed a significant crime. He should be charged. I can't imagine smaller fish committing equivalent crimes getting away with it. It's like dumping tons of toxic waste into the local stream and getting away with it.
There are limits to financial liability otherwise stock ownership would not be very attractive, and business would have trouble raising capital.

The VW case is particularly offensive because of the outright fraud, lying to customers and governments.  The corporate shield does not protect criminal behavior and the VW case is surely criminal.

In recent news they still have not come up with a fix and are being forced to buy back the dirty cars. Supposedly they are not allowed to resell these cars, but I find that hard to imagine.

Any people found responsible for this fraud surely should not profit from it, and criminal behavior should be prosecuted. 

JR

PS: I still think a more practical remedy is to leave the cars alone and have VW  figure some other way to remove a like amount of emissions from the environment (if possible).

JohnRoberts said:
The VW case is particularly offensive because of the outright fraud, lying to customers and governments.  The corporate shield does not protect criminal behavior and the VW case is surely criminal.

In recent news they still have not come up with a fix and are being forced to buy back the dirty cars. Supposedly they are not allowed to resell these cars, but I find that hard to imagine.

I have a 2011 TDI, so this affects me directly.

As I see it:

The value of the cars bottomed out the day the news of the cheat was made public. Now, since our intention was to keep the car for at least ten years, resale value by itself isn't all that interesting to me. But things like insurance payouts in event of an accident or theft are set based on resale value, so it cannot be ignored.

There are several possible fixes. One is to retrofit a urea tank for emissions control. Apparently, this is physically impossible for the 2.0 L engines affected, likely since there is no room for the system. Plus, this would be ridiculously expensive for VW, and we must remember the reason for not including a urea tank in the first place was to make the cars less expensive so people like me would be inclined to buy them. After all, it is simple math: if the savings that result for greater fuel mileage aren't more than the cost to buy the car in the first place, what's the point?

The second is a software fix. Reports say that whatever tuning adjustments that need to be made will degrade both mileage and performance. The former is probably less interesting (maybe city mileage goes to 27 down from 30, whatever) than the latter. Nobody wants to drive a dog that they paid real money for. The performance degradation also degrades resale value.

(Funny aside: when I went to the dealer to pick up my two "Customer Appreciation" $500 gift cards that VW gave to all owners as a way of trying to say "don't sue us," one of the salesguys tried to goad me into an argument: "How do you like the car?" "I love it, except for the reason why I'm here." "Don't worry, there will be a fix." "I've heard, it'll be a software fix that'll degrade performance." "No, it won't, it's just a software fix! It won't affect torque or anything." "How much certified, traceable, controlled embedded software have you written, and for whom did you write it?" "<crickets>")

As of a couple of days ago, here is what we know about the plan. Volkswagen will tell customers that either they can get their cars fixed or the cars will be bought back. The buyback price will be based on "book" value as of the day before the cheat announcement ruined the cars' value. The condition of all cars will be assumed "Excellent," because they have no way of knowing the cars' conditions two years ago. Finally, there will be a bonus of at least $5,000, up to perhaps $10,000 paid in cash to the affected owners, over and above the buyback price.

Owners who opt to have VW repair the cars will have to wait for the repair to be finalized and approved, and VW has until the end of 2017 (!) for that. The earliest that repairs will commence will be 2018.

Notably: cars that are bought back by VW, and those which were sitting unsold in dealer lots when the "no sale" order came down, cannot be (re)sold without first being repaired (software fix applied), and they cannot be shipped off to locations which have less stringent emissions protocols.

We are waiting to see what we will actually be offered in the buyback plan. It does put us in a bind, in that as I noted we had intended to keep the car for over ten years, so car payments are something I don't want. I also don't want a used car (I'm not a fan of buying someone else's problems) and it's likely that an equivalently-sized and -equipped car will cost more than the buyback plus bonus.

When I hear reports on the radio about all of this, invariably they talk to a dealership owner who is wailing to the heavens about lost sales and customers. I honestly have zero pity for those dealers. Hey, you know, free market, and all that, and that a local dealer had no control over what Volkswagen corporate did is honestly boring and uninteresting to me. Here's why: local car dealers have lobbied state legislatures to pass laws that make it illegal for a car manufacturer to sell directly to consumers. (This is why I have to go to California if I want to buy a Tesla, and this probably led to Tesla's decision to NOT open a battery factory here in southern Arizona.) The dealers wanted to be independent of the manufacturers so they could continue to operate in their usual slimy way. Complaining to Volkswagen Corporate for the behavior of a dealer is a waste of time, because corporate cannot do anything about it.

So as it is, the dealers bought all of the now-unsaleable TDIs from VW, and they have to eat the costs of storing them until this mishegas is resolved.  Sure, they can complain to VW and threaten to sue, but VW can rightly say, "well, we're independent, and the transactions we made to you for the cars are valid and tough nuts." Obviously there will be lawsuits but those are still in the future, waiting for the outcome of the repair and criminal lawsuits between the various governments and VW corporate.

Since the VW dealers are crying poverty, I had an interesting thought. They need to sell cars. The truth is that we really like the Jetta Sportwagen we have. A possible deal conversation could be: "I want a brand new 2017 car that is the same as the one you're buying back, so I want the same trim level and all of that. And I want a trailer hitch. But I won't pay one nickel out of pocket. That means that you, Mr Dealer, pay the difference in cost between the buyback/bonus and the price of the new  car. And I am not paying a destination charge, I am not paying a "documentation" fee, and guess what, you're paying my sales tax and my first-year VLT.  You don't like it? The Honda and Mazda and Subaru dealers are waiting for our call. If you want the sale, you make it happen, and then you go argue with VW of America for any kickbacks you can get from them. You wanted independence from the manufacturers, this is the cost of that independence."

That will be a very interesting, and likely very short, conversation!

Any people found responsible for this fraud surely should not profit from it, and criminal behavior should be prosecuted.

I wholeheartedly agree.

PS: I still think a more practical remedy is to leave the cars alone and have VW  figure some other way to remove a like amount of emissions from the environment (if possible).

I suppose that one might start with tightening emissions on all of those trucks which spew a lot more noxious fumes than my car.

-a

I'll bet the returned cars get resold with a performance lowering software patch.  The cheapest way to make them legally clean.

Then the new buyers for the hobbled cars will try to figure out how to reload the old software to get the zip back.

JR

I'll bet the returned cars get resold with a performance lowering software patch.  The cheapest way to make them legally clean.

I don't think they can meet the NOx limits without an SCR and uria tank as Andy was describing. They probably can't retrofit due to packaging issues, so probably will be scrapped.

If anyone invents technology to easily remove pollutants from the atmosphere it would be a big deal. Soot / particulates rain out, but NOx, CO, CO2 all have longer lifespans I think.
A possible way to obviate emissions is to pay people not to produce them? That would be interesting.
Buy up older vehicles to scrap that put out 10x 100x 1000x the emissions? Cash for clunkers, by VW.

I sincerely hope that they don't let them get away with throwing a few engineers under the bus. That's the most common bullsh*t from powerful organizations. The leaders always take the credit when things go good and they should face the music when things go bad.

thermionic said:
Besides what is being reported in the news ,  I actually have a very first hand experience of  this by a bunch of people who were placed next door to us by the council.

And the fact that they were immigrants determined their propensity for criminality? Earlier generation immigrants such as yourself or indigenous Brits wouldn’t commit the same crimes? Are you familiar with the phrase ‘tarring everyone with the same brush’?

Yes I am. I have been speaking English  everyday for 30 years now.

I don't know what else to say. I am not tarring everybody with the same brush. I am not saying that I am against immigration. In contrary you are desperately trying to make me look like as if I am. 

I am saying I am against uncontrolled or unlimited immigration.

Yes I do but unfortunately I can not disclose them without their consent. It will be highly unlikely that they would like to be disclosed anyway. But let's say that they work as housing officers and social workers.

Well, that’s a coincidence, as it was exactly the kind of rhetoric propagated by Ukip and the Daily Mail in the run-up to the referendum…

No. You have clearly been sticking your head in the sand. This has been going on for years, after peaking with the past labour government. 

I don't read  Ukip propaganda or Daily Mail. I told you I am a Guardian (and Glasgow Herald) reader. Our weekend papers are Sunday Times,  Observer and Scotland on Sunday. I don't read trash.

However, I can not disclose anybody but what I can disclose is a bank statement of these people that I mentioned who were placed next door to us. They were placed in a flat at a taxpayer's expense of £1,000 a month rent. They stole from us and they stole from our downstairs neighbours. They run a havoc here.

Now before you take this and twist it round let me repeat again. I am not trying to tar everybody with that brush. I am giving it as an example of what can happen with unlimited and uncontrolled immigration. And, this is only one aspect. I gave you a very short introduction of the principals of immigration. If you are going to expand on it then let's do it, otherwise I am tired of repeating the same things and let's agree to disagree.

Immigration is of course a good thing and I am an example of it. But I am a product of controlled immigration. I was not allowed to receive any benefit  in the first year of our marriage (not that I would and I have never received a penny in benefit even when I would have been better off signing on ) and I was not given a free accommodation. Even thought my wife was a British Citizen she was also not allowed any benefit in the first year of our marriage if she lost her job because she was married to a foreign. This rule for some reason has been shelved over the years, obviously due to EU rules.

But your response to that is a total utopian garbage, that somehow we should allow anybody moving from one country to another with no control and anybody who arrives on our door step should be entitled to full benefits. What sort of thinking is that? How could that be fair?

You have insulted me by calling me a first racist, then immoral and then xenophobic

Can you show me where I ‘called’ you any of these things? I might have suggested certain viewpoints you espoused had commonality with statements made by people who are the type you name, but it would be ad-hominem to suggest I went beyond that, I think.  Human beings are complex, and may have views that seemingly conflict with one another.

Exactly. You have described a particular view  as racist immoral and then xenophobic. I support that view. What does that make me according to you?

You accuse me for tarring everybody with the same brush but you do exactly the very thing by generalising. Just because Ukip takes the immigration issues and twists them to suit their own agenda does not automatically puts me in the same pot with them. But according to you anybody who dares to address these issues is either Ukip propaganda or Daily Mail reader. I do not call any of my German friends who talk about the social problems that arose with Turkish immigration Nazi propaganda readers.  And, by the way, that was a controlled immigration.

if you think uncontrolled immigration has no social and economic impact then  we'll agree to disagree and walk away amicably.

About half the people in the street I live on are recent migrants to London. Some of them do get my goat occasionally and I dare say some might have criminal intent, but that’s because they’re people, not immigrants.

I do think it has social and economic impact (most studies tend to suggest it’s positive, not negative – as with your experience). My point is simply that I believe denying a right to others which you yourself were granted, is discriminatory - in my humble opinion.

I have nothing to respond to this as it fits in "agree to disagree".

Gene Pink said:
JohnRoberts said:
Then the new buyers for the hobbled cars will try to figure out how to reload the old software to get the zip back.

Got an EPROM burner / duplicator?
;-)

Gene
I replaced the chip (PROM) in my old '86 mustang that was advertised as higher performance but it just ran like they were telling it the engine was cold all the time and choking it (running richer). Gas mileage went down but it didn't go any faster that I could tell so I returned to the stock chip.

Modern cars may be harder to reprogram... plug in proms are so last century. Probably uses a flash micro inside the ECU, but some geek will figure out which pins are what to bang the flash. But how to get a copy of the old code? Be friends with your service center. .

JR

JohnRoberts said:
But how to get a copy of the old code? Be friends with your service center.

That was my point, to simply record / duplicate the code you have now in the chip, before bringing the car in for the lobotomy. Then you'll have a copy of the old "performance" code.

Or the easy way, go to the boneyard now, buy a computer from a suitable wreck, and swap the whole thing out later.

Gene

DaveP said:
The link between Brexit and car mods is seriously off topic  ::)
DaveP
Luckily this is the brewery....  ;D

VW actually warned about brexit affecting 7% of their sales.

JR

PS: I find it remarkable how violently international stock markets dropped on the vote news , and within a week almost completely retraced back to pre-Brexit levels.  Clearly the vote caught investors by surprise, but long term effects are still to be determined (while the pound may take longer to recover,  a weaker pound will help UK exports). 

I assume, Volkswagen (to big to admit) can easily cope with that. They just fire a bunch of despatch workers  :eek: :mad:
Car part suppliers will hit it harder. They are way smaller with model tailored machines and can't adapt quickly to change in product demand (i.e. alternative production).

---

I read that Vodafone is thinking about (is threatening) to move their HQs to the continent. The financial guild in the City is rumoured to be on the lookout for new apartments on the continent. A British investment service company went to the Swiss. Timing could be coincidence, but they sure got a good discount. There might be more but I don't followit  that closely.

Oh, I guess tomato backyard cultivation suppliers will see an increase in sales  :) A good thing, as homegrown tomatoes tend to taste better than greenhouse stuff.

Gene Pink said:
JohnRoberts said:
But how to get a copy of the old code? Be friends with your service center.

That was my point, to simply record / duplicate the code you have now in the chip, before bringing the car in for the lobotomy. Then you'll have a copy of the old "performance" code.

Or the easy way, go to the boneyard now, buy a computer from a suitable wreck, and swap the whole thing out later.

I would imagine that they don't use old-skool DIP EPROMs in modern cars. It'll be some kind of serial data link, perhaps JTAG, more likely something VW-specific. And the firmware loads will have to verify against an AES key or something else which prevents bogus loads from being installed.

I suppose I could ask the local indie VW shop if they have the ability to reprogram the various micros in the car. My guess is that no, they don't.

JohnRoberts said:
DaveP said:
The link between Brexit and car mods is seriously off topic  ::)
DaveP
Luckily this is the brewery....  ;D

Oh yeah?

One law for the rich another one for the poor.

Or was it one law for the moderator another one for the moderated? ;D

Here's another thing about politicians that really annoys me. There ae plans in the UK to introduce laws to force ISPs to record everyone's internet activity for reasons of 'national security'. At the last minute a cause was added that means MPs internet activity will NOT be  part of this. So the biggest bunch of con men and criminals is exempt from a law designed to catch con men and criminals.

Cheers

Ian

There are lots of things that annoy us about politicians.

Possibly one of the worst is hypocrisy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3671760/Tory-leadership-hopeful-Vote-Leave-campaigner-Andrea-Leadsom-previously-said-Brexit-disaster.html

In 2013, Andrea Leadsom  said Brexit would be catastrophic for the UK, then she went on to the leave campaign and now she is in the race for prime minister.

The British system looks like everyone stabbing the others in the back until only one is left.  I really hope that we get a PM that puts serving the country before self-serving.

DaveP

DaveP said:
There are lots of things that annoy us about politicians.

Possibly one of the worst is hypocrisy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3671760/Tory-leadership-hopeful-Vote-Leave-campaigner-Andrea-Leadsom-previously-said-Brexit-disaster.html

In 2013, Andrea Leadsom  said Brexit would be catastrophic for the UK, then she went on to the leave campaign and now she is in the race for prime minister.

The British system looks like everyone stabbing the others in the back until only one is left.  I really hope that we get a PM that puts serving the country before self-serving.

DaveP

I am not going to defend her but your view can change in 3 years. In that time Mr Cameron failed spectacularly to negotiate a better deal for us. If he had done so then the Brexit vote might have been rather different.

Cheers

Ian

In that time Mr Cameron failed spectacularly to negotiate a better deal for us. If he had done so then the Brexit vote might have been rather different.

No doubt about that.

I think the same thing will happen when they try again soon with a new PM.  The EU would sooner see the UK depart than give them a deal that every other country will want as well.

If they were smart they would abandon the parts of the treaty that cause countries so much trouble.

DaveP

Latest posts

Back