[BUILD] 1176 Rev A - Back to the beginning...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darthgustafson said:
My jumper has been in the correct position but I'm finding issues with the voltage at Q7,8,9, & 10. They are orientated properly but the voltage seems to be off.
Q7 - 24.6, .8, 3
Q8 - 24.6, 29.6, 25
Q9 - 4.6, 5.7, 4.1
Q10 - 5.7, 29.6, 5.3

You need to check all of the resistor values in that section.  You could have a 4.7K  and a 47K swapped.  Don't measure them in circuit unless you know how parallel resistance change DMM reading.  Either read the color code, or left one leg and measure with a DMM.

Mike

Hi everyone!

I've just finished building my first 1176 Rev A from Hairball's complete kit. I've followed step by step all calibration instructions and compared the test points voltages with mnats references. It all seems fine. The only thing is, my 1176 sounds like a low pass filter...  ??? Even if I don't compress, if I just run audio through it, I lose all the top end... Like a I had a low pass of -6 dB/octave from around 3kHz...

Any idea what it could be?

Greg

altmix said:
Hi everyone!

I've just finished building my first 1176 Rev A from Hairball's complete kit. I've followed step by step all calibration instructions and compared the test points voltages with mnats references. It all seems fine. The only thing is, my 1176 sounds like a low pass filter...  ??? Even if I don't compress, if I just run audio through it, I lose all the top end... Like a I had a low pass of -6 dB/octave from around 3kHz...

Greg

Do you have the orang and yellow secondary wires connected to each other and nothing else.  If that's not it double check your cap values and orientation.

Start with that.  Report back.

Mike

Hairball Audio said:
altmix said:
Hi everyone!

Greg

Do you have the orang and yellow secondary wires connected to each other and nothing else.  If that's not it double check your cap values and orientation.

Start with that.  Report back.

Mike

Thanks for your help Mike! I inverted C16 and C14, and also C11 and C13... Dumb mistake! I should learn to read capacitors value...

Now the compressor sounds like a beast! I'm so excited and looking foward to using it on lead vocals for a live show this weekend!

Best,

Greg

16awg cable is too thick to fit through the hole/pad c25 (for the ground wire that attaches to the bottom of the pcb/c25. What I did was "thin out" the cable after stripping it at one end (I removed about 1/2 of the thickness of the cable and cut it off w/my micro nippers so it would fit through the hole/pad) Is this OK? I could not think of any other way.

It also never states what to do w/the ground wire coming off the output transformer. It's already getting ground from the mounting/where I removed powder from the chassis so I assumed this ground wire is not needed? What should I do w/this ground wire?

Everything else was clear as a bell! These directions are amazing. I am still a noob, but here is my build so far (I did a little more last night since taking this pic).

turk sanchez said:
16awg cable is too thick to fit through the hole/pad c25 (for the ground wire that attaches to the bottom of the pcb/c25. What I did was "thin out" the cable after stripping it at one end (I removed about 1/2 of the thickness of the cable and cut it off w/my micro nippers so it would fit through the hole/pad) Is this OK? I could not think of any other way.

It also never states what to do w/the ground wire coming off the output transformer. It's already getting ground from the mounting/where I removed powder from the chassis so I assumed this ground wire is not needed? What should I do w/this ground wire?

Everything else was clear as a bell! These directions are amazing. I am still a noob, but here is my build so far (I did a little more last night since taking this pic).

You should be good turk - nice job mate.

Here is my complete build. Before I power it on, a couple quick questions if I may please. Thank you guys for your help. I just registered today. Been on Gearslutz for almost 10 years...

1 ~ per previous question, if it Ok that I "thinned" the 16awg cable at one end so it would fit in c25? The wire was too thick to fit in the hole of the pad. This is a ground wire.

2 ~ I wasn't not sure what to do w/the ground wire from the output transformer (it didn't say in the build guide at Hairball) so I grounded it to the chassis as well (put it under one of the output tranny mounting bolts/powder removed from chassis/pinched in between)

3 ~ in the "Wiring an Incandescent Meter Lamp" section, when I test the CT/secondaries for AC volts (using my meter), should I have the unit powered on?

Thank you so much for anybody that is willing to take the time to help me. I would sure appreciate it! I am trying to learn and having a great time doing it! Here is my finished build. Just need to test and calibrate after I clear up a few questions...

Attachments

• 1176 rev a .jpg
    1176 rev a .jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 23
turk sanchez said:
Here is my complete build. Before I power it on, a couple quick questions if I may please. Thank you guys for your help. I just registered today. Been on Gearslutz for almost 10 years...

1 ~ per previous question, if it Ok that I "thinned" the 16awg cable at one end so it would fit in c25? The wire was too thick to fit in the hole of the pad. This is a ground wire.

2 ~ I wasn't not sure what to do w/the ground wire from the output transformer (it didn't say in the build guide at Hairball) so I grounded it to the chassis as well (put it under one of the output tranny mounting bolts/powder removed from chassis/pinched in between)

3 ~ in the "Wiring an Incandescent Meter Lamp" section, when I test the CT/secondaries for AC volts (using my meter), should I have the unit powered on?

Thank you so much for anybody that is willing to take the time to help me. I would sure appreciate it! I am trying to learn and having a great time doing it! Here is my finished build. Just need to test and calibrate after I clear up a few questions...

#1 - good
#2 - good
#3 - unit must be "on"  - be careful.

Cheers mate!

Don! You rock, Sir! THANK you very much. BTW, I saw your youtube videos when I was one the fence about ordering this kit. You inspired me and gave me confidence to go for it.

I have saved your calibration vids and plan on referencing them. Thank you for making these.

I have only done one guitar pedal from BYOC, two CAPI vps 26, now this. Proud of it! Does it look OK? I took my sweet time and really tried to make it clean.

Turk, I think you did a very nice job.  Well done!

Take your time with the calibration steps and you'll be golden - if not we are here to help.

Don

Thanks very much , Sir!

I powered it up...all good!

I set the 5k trim pot to 2.5k and the 2k trim pots to 1k before I installed them. I think I'll be good (I hope).

Thank you for offering to help me! I really appreciate it. Once I learn more, I'll try and help out some noobs here to "give back"...but I am still a noob myself so I'll keep my mouth shut for now:)

Don,

I think I am done w/calibration. I used your (amazing) videos. Thank you!

One question, during the "null adjust" (step two), I was not really getting any different reading other than .006 Vac ~ however, everything seems to be calibrated right and performing the way it should. Is .006 "close enough" or should I take another look? The value just stays at .006 as I turn the internal trim put/null adjust...but all seems good. Strange.

Thanks again!

not sure if this might help anybody else, but here are the two mistakes I made during calibration and what helped me.

1 ~ at first I just removed the shorting plug (during the null adjustment) instead of moving it to the outer pins (dumb mistake, but that was my first prob).

2 ~ I like putting a little piece of tape over each trim pot once I finish each step. That way I don't re-adjust it by accident and throw the whole thing off.

I love this thing! Sounds amazing today (w/the perfect calibration)!

I would also like to make a shout out to nice guy, Mr Don Bonin, for posting his excellent calibration videos to youtube.

Without these vids I would not have been able to calibrate my slightly touchy stereo Rev A 1176. Thanks DB ! - your style is very much in the spirit of DIY sharing.

And I now have 2 channels of perfectly calibrated Rev A goodness ready to rock.  :)

For those who are still struggling with calibration (and frankly this is the hardest part of the building process IMO) please see Mr Bonin's channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz0UytjhfnNjv8noKq94LDA

Peace. 

Hi folks

I am anticipating starting a Rev A build and have the kit here ready to go. I thought it best to go through and read/ familiarise myself with  the instructions before building each stage.  My only slight worry, so far, is the output transformer. I cannot quite work out where the unbraided wire goes. Is it grounded?
Any help would be great.

By the way I cannot wait to start as the kit looks fantastic, well organised and v. high quality.
cheers
Hay

haystack said:
My only slight worry, so far, is the output transformer. I cannot quite work out where the unbraided wire goes. Is it grounded?
Any help would be great.

By the way I cannot wait to start as the kit looks fantastic, well organised and v. high quality.
cheers
Hay

scrape the powder coat of of the area under where the o/t bolts onto the inside of the case to make a good connection to ground then just clip the ground wire.

Latest posts

Back