[build] Steffen's GSSL High Pass Filter Documentation

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi
i installed my S/C filter on my gssl, it's very god  ;D
i just last question about the R5 res of external sidechain. i don't see where i must connect it, i suppose on the ground, but i 'm not sure.

someone can confirm this ?
thx it's great addon and very usfull

Greg said:
This thread contains all the documentation needed to get Steffen's high pass filter incorporated into the GSSL. For purchasing boards check the Black Market.

1. Sidechain Highpass Schematic

2. Sidechain Highpass Parts List

3. Sidechain Highpass Hookup Instructions
The GND point on the filter PCB needs to be taken to the chassis star ground.

4. Switch wiring:
The PCB matches the schematic, but here's a verbal description as well. The SW point on the PCB goes to the switch pole. Then points 1-6 on the PCB go to the corresponding switch position. Position 1 won't produce any filtering; position 2 will roll of the least low end; position 5 will roll of the most low end; position 6 is the external sidechain.

If possible, could this thread be added to GSSL META... thanks.

i have a problem with this, when i send a signal to feed the external input, i am getting only 2db gainreduction  ???
i am measuring more the 1,5 volt ac on the return of the board, that should be enough to reduce more gain, i hope...

does not matter what kind of signal i am sending to the external input, i get max. gainreduction of 2db  :mad:

OK! problem solved, works like it shoud :)

I'm having issues with position 2 and 5...
Seems like compression gets defeated at those positions..
What could be the cause of this?
Thanks.

Hi Jorge,

if defeated only at position 2 and 5 but not at position 1, 3, 4 or 6, most probably the switch is broken.

If this should be read as position 2 to 5, its the task of this 1st.order HPfilter to reduce signal level below the dialed in -3dB cutoff point at 60, 90, 130 or 200Hz with a -6dB/oct.slope, so your sidechain gets triggerd less by low frequency content. Mind that -3dB level drop at cutoff position (phase response 45°), so sidechain level at this frequency is already reduced by factor 0.707 and at double cutoff frequency its still -1dB down. Maybe your testfrequency was set too low to get your filtered signal level above threshold.

Very  interesting Harpo Thanks...
Thank God i have few other rotarys for HPF.
I'm thinking if the switch is broken would that be a reason for the compressor to behave a little weird?
Off course apart from defeating the compression mode?
Thanks Again Harpo.

Jorge A.

If the signal gets interrupted by this maybe broken switch or broken/lifted trace between cap and pad for switch connection, no signal arrives at the sidechain VCA, resulting in a control voltage of 0V which is the bypass condition (current in=current out) for the audio VCA.

Hi All,having problems with my install of stefens SC board.  I've got two of the GSSL with the boards and one works perfectly.  The second one works fine when the switch is in position one, when I switch it to position 2-6 compression jumps about 6-8db immediately and then works fine from there.  So without the sidechain in compression is fine with sidechain in compression is fine but there is a huge difference between the amount of compression when inserting the sidechain.  The trim pot on the SC board merely increases the compression rather than reducing it.

Thoughts?

M

Greg said:
This thread contains all the documentation needed to get Steffen's high pass filter incorporated into the GSSL. For purchasing boards check the Black Market.

1. Sidechain Highpass Schematic

2. Sidechain Highpass Parts List

3. Sidechain Highpass Hookup Instructions
The GND point on the filter PCB needs to be taken to the chassis star ground.

4. Switch wiring:
The PCB matches the schematic, but here's a verbal description as well. The SW point on the PCB goes to the switch pole. Then points 1-6 on the PCB go to the corresponding switch position. Position 1 won't produce any filtering; position 2 will roll of the least low end; position 5 will roll of the most low end; position 6 is the external sidechain.

If possible, could this thread be added to GSSL META... thanks.

Links seem to be broken..
Can you re-post them please?
Thank you

didn't it all went up into the SSC-Board?
Can't be pinned down on this, but I think Clintrubber integrated it, combined with the those-who-shall-not-be-named filters, into one board.. look it up in the Lab...

Latest posts

Back