Bypass Cap Switch for CE Preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domingo

Hello,

The following schematic is the first stage of a diy electret preamp I've been using. Currently I have a physical switch to turn ON and OFF the bypass capacitor (C1) for extra gain, but I want to replace it for a MOSFET or something else. The physical switch would still be used to feed the MOSFET's gate (12-9v).

Would a single N-Channel MOSFET (M1) be enough and recommended in this case? I've seen normally two MOSFETs are used in a cascade, the sources connected together to avoid the effect of the diode (SSR). But this is really low signal here and my understanding is that the internal diode would only become a problem above the 0.7v or so?
I bread-boarded the schematic and it works, but I don't know if distortion is being introduced. A 2n7002 instead of a BSS138 was used, since LTSpice showed lower RDSon with it.
Does this seem overall appropriate? Or different type of component (ie. JFET) would be needed? Or a different topology? I just want to avoid ICs with multiple analog switches, since the preamps to control are distant from each other on the board and ideally a switching component for each one would be used separately.

Any advice or comments welcome and appreciated!

Regards,
Domingo

Attachments

• mosfet_switch.png
    mosfet_switch.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back