Capacitor sourcing

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see:

" 50 PCS/LOT CBB capacitor 250 v 4.7 UF US $9.82 / lot "

$0.20 each, WOW!

BUT -- "Shipping:    US $36.84 to United States"

(No low-cost China Post option.)

So nearly a buck each in Maine USA. Still an OK deal if I needed *fifty* caps.

shabtek said:
Cheepest 2 bulb t8 fixture at local home improvement store is $10.97 + bulbs is cheeper than worry when fluorescent bulb breaks--i have several youngins

Are you telling me that an 11 buck dual T-8 fixture and another 11 bucks for a pair of LED drop-in tubes will get me there? For 22 bucks?

You have my full attention. Care to share which big box store? I went to Loews last night, perhaps Home Depot? Ace hardware?

I do not remember in all my time ever having a fluorescent tube break, even with all the wacky, crazy stuff that goes on around here, although I did come close a few weeks ago. Removing a 15" speaker driver with a torn-up cone, one of the M-6 torx  bolts was seized solid to the tee-nut. Prying the speaker flange upward while spinning the bolt just resulted in the tee nut spinning and counter-boring into the wood from the bottom up, and with not wanting to do extensive woodwork to fix it, I stopped before it came clean through the front. Setting the driver down, there was enough bolt shaft sticking out above the basket to get a real, old-school bolt cutter in there. So I cut this grade 8 bolt off.

PING-THWACK was what it sounded like, the ping being supersonic rotation like a firearm ricochet, the thwack being the projectile hitting the tin roof, narrowly missing the 8' lighting fixture with open bulbs that I was working under. I thought about holding my hand over it as I cut, but realized "that would hurt", so I didn't.

DaveP said:
Modern fluorescents have red green blue narrow band phosphors plus the mercury plasma lines,  colour rendering is not wonderful.  LED lamps have one sharp blue peak plus broad band phosphors to give a very close approximation to an Edison light bulb emission.

I did not know that. I had wrongfully assumed that an LED spectra-graph would look like a rainbow hair comb with almost all of the teeth missing. Thanks, this makes LEDs even more attractive. It sucks to see something blue-green outside in daylight, bring it inside under florescents and it is kind of a purple-green with a tinge of orange/yellow.

JohnRoberts said:
They used to do lots of bat sh__ crazy stuff...  Radium was used as a health tonic.

You ain't kidding there, remember fluoroscopes in shoe stores? I have a really old X-ray machine here, has a "therapeutic" setting, a nice, low warming dose of X-rays that are good for you. Huh? It requires a 220V, 70 amp feed.

korneev said:
Do you mean, that I see others, than you?

That cap is not rated for power handling, PRR mentioned that back about a couple dozen posts. I saw similar to you, but one has to wonder of that rating, is 250 AC or DC feet away from... 25mm?

Ya gotta love automated translation programs. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your help, but I have a bunch of 4.7uF/250V DC non-power handling caps here, and know better than to run them with 0.33 amps continuous, or whatever the choke whips them around to, at 60hz.

Hell, it those would actually work without fear of shorting and destroying the tubes from overcurrent, I'd be all over this deal.

Gene

shabtek said:
Cheepest 2 bulb t8 fixture at local home improvement store is $10.97 + bulbs is cheeper than worry when fluorescent bulb breaks--i have several youngins
So I took the plunge, if buying one fixture is considered a plunge.

From Home Depot:
T-8 fixture with fully electronic ballast: $14.97
LED replacement "tubes": $6.97 ea, total $13.94.
Total $28.91 plus sales tax, a bit over 31 bucks.

Color rendition is noticeably better, current draw is less, I admit it, I'm sold. Thanks shabtek, you win.

Gene

Comparison:

Gene Pink said:
So I took the plunge, if buying one fixture is considered a plunge.

From Home Depot:
T-8 fixture with fully electronic ballast: $14.97
LED replacement "tubes": $6.97 ea, total $13.94.
Total $28.91 plus sales tax, a bit over 31 bucks.

Color rendition is noticeably better, current draw is less, I admit it, I'm sold. Thanks shabtek, you win.

Gene

Comparison:
Welcome to this century...  A lot of stuff works better, computers still suck.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Welcome to this century...  A lot of stuff works better, computers still suck.
JR, you have seen a picture of my home stereo, with the two Crown R-Rs on top of the 19" racks, do I seem like a 21th century kind of guy to you?

Just wait until I hang that Barco Graphics 1209 CRT projector just setting and waiting behind the couch, to replace the '80s Zenith CRT projector, and my life will be complete. 2000 Vertical X 2500 Horizontal will be cool, almost UHD.

And yes, PCs do keep getting worse, give me WIN 95 with real USB support, that's really all I need.

Jpeg that didn't take a couple posts back, comparing T-12 40W fluorescents VS newfangled LEDs. Note the dim one, upper right, it failed a couple days later.

Gene

Jpeg that didn't take a couple posts back, comparing T-12 40W fluorescents VS newfangled LEDs. Note the dim one, upper right, it failed a couple days later.

I guess attachments are still down, attributed to the "expected wonkiness".

Oh well. 2nd try:

Gene

Gene Pink said:
JR, you have seen a picture of my home stereo, with the two Crown R-Rs on top of the 19" racks, do I seem like a 21th century kind of guy to you?
By definition we are all of this century, and I appreciate the several advances. LED lighting is just one.  (light weigh power amps are huge for live sound.)

My new dishwasher I had to buy because my old one died, is night and day better. I had to learn that I no longer have to clean the dishes before putting them into it. It actually cleans dirty dishes, go figure.
Just wait until I hang that Barco Graphics 1209 CRT projector just setting and waiting behind the couch, to replace the '80s Zenith CRT projector, and my life will be complete. 2000 Vertical X 2500 Horizontal will be cool, almost UHD.

And yes, PCs do keep getting worse, give me WIN 95 with real USB support, that's really all I need.

Gene
I almost sent you a link to some LED florescent tube replacements on sale for veterans day.

JR

Latest posts

Back