Capsule Destroyed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moosie Moose

Hello I recently destroyed the capsule for my Blue Baby Bottle SL Microphone, while trying to carefully wipe any debris from the capsule. Now when I try and record audio from the microphone all I can hear is noise. I have been highly disappointed as this is the only mic that I currently own, and its gets used almost on a daily basis to record vocalists. I am new to DIY as a whole and was hoping to begin my first mic build this year. Since this has happened I am hoping to find any help, suggestions, or advice on if I should try and replace the capsule, and how, or if I should just replace the mic. Thank you for any help on the matter it is very much appreciated.IMG_6975.jpg

There are lots of threads here about mic capsules, but if you're totally new to this, why not get a cheap 'practice' capsule from eBay ($25-$30, look for '34mm' or 'K47' or 'K87") and give it a go.

If that works out, there are lots of options for a proper replacement, which will start at $100 and go up from there 😁

Hello I recently destroyed the capsule for my Blue Baby Bottle SL Microphone, while trying to carefully wipe any debris from the capsule. Now when I try and record audio from the microphone all I can hear is noise. I have been highly disappointed as this is the only mic that I currently own, and its gets used almost on a daily basis to record vocalists. I am new to DIY as a whole and was hoping to begin my first mic build this year. Since this has happened I am hoping to find any help, suggestions, or advice on if I should try and replace the capsule, and how, or if I should just replace the mic. Thank you for any help on the matter it is very much appreciated.View attachment 120091
This is pretty much the same capsule as the stock one.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msRp3mu

There are lots of threads here about mic capsules, but if you're totally new to this, why not get a cheap 'practice' capsule from eBay ($25-$30, look for '34mm' or 'K47' or 'K87") and give it a go.

If that works out, there are lots of options for a proper replacement, which will start at $100 and go up from there 😁
Thank you I will look into that, and yes I am totally new to this and looking forward to heading on this journey.

"Proper replacements" that are gonna be the same thing as the $30 capsule, but a western company sells it to you at 300%+ mark-up.

Last edited:
There are lots of threads here about mic capsules,

I concur with the others. Outside of eBay.com (which has LOTS of inexpensive capsules for sale) you can ALSO obtain good (enough) capsules from www.jlielectronics.com, under the style of "Transsound." Or ... you might purchase a clean, low mileage used microphone and cannibalize its capsule. I recently acquired a very clean, low mileage Samson CL7 for around $20, and a new CAD Equiteq e50 for less than $50 (retail list price $150) which you can cannibalize for a replacement capsule and keep you going - at least in the short term. I once purchased a used Shure KSM44 with issues, but the capsule was fine - A $900 microphone when new and a new replacement capsule costs around $180 US. The capsule, alone, was worth what I paid for the whole deal, and the rest of it can be fodder for other projects. Ultimately, one of the members of this forum repaired/modified it for very little cost, and we all made out on the deal. Recently, I purchased a number of new MXL internal circuit boards and capsules from a guy who converted condenser microphones to dynamic cartridges, and sold the original "guts" for a very low cost. I have had great fun mixing and matching these parts with other mic parts at very little cost. Point is, there are lots of low cost options.

Parenthetically, Arienne Audio – Microphone Capsules sells a very popular 34mm capsule for around $100-$120. The manufacturer is remarkably transparent and there is a huge thread about it on this reflector. It has been very well received and may upgrade and improve your broken microphone without forcing you into bankruptcy.

These are just a few additional options. (Nothing herein is intended to contradict other advice provided above.) JHR

Last edited:
This is pretty much the same capsule as the stock one.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msRp3mu

Hi Kingkorg!
I received the edge terminated capsules, which you suggested as a possible replacement in the Blue Baby Bottle. I think you talked about it another time as well) My question is if you did any measurements or tests. If the FR comes close to that of the mic above, I'm sure it would sound great on a female voice. (So far, the most beautiful for soul-style female voice, among my microphones, the Sterling ST-77 stock sounded to me, very natural, warm, silky, velvety).
Does Baby Bottle have a flat circuit?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-01-00-12-03-595_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-01-00-12-03-595_com.android.chrome.jpg
    649.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 1706739010356_1706739094987.jpg
    1706739010356_1706739094987.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_2024-02-01-00-37-44-170_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-01-00-37-44-170_com.android.chrome.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 1