Carbon Microphones

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The interesting thing is that diaphragm has to be spaced away from the magnet correctly or it will stick and won't vibrate. Very much like a LDC.
That's correct. I remember there were washers that allowed changing the sensitivity by making the diaphragm more or less close to the magnet, until it stuck.

I built the circuit comprised of 3 10k resistors, and 2 capacitors, and it was really hot and sounded like trash in an especially trashy way that was beyond what I was going for. I just ran across the following link yesterday, that looks like a 48v Phantom power version of the 600:600 transformer circuit.
The maker also put in a flip switch to switch between the carbon button mic and the ear-piece as a dynamic mic.
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/use-an-old-phone-handset-to-produce-a-lo-fi-mic
Having a center tap transformer should improve the sound a great deal, just from being able to balance it. The builder has sound comparisons in the video, and I like the old-timey sound of the carbon button that sounds nothing like what I was getting with the transformerless circuit. I just ordered some 600:600 center tap transformers, and I'm going to ditch the flip switch and see if I can fit all the electronics into the handset to use the ear piece as a monitor and carbon mic as a mic and plug into my audio interface for zoom calls.

It's been a while since I've tried building a PCB in KiCAD, but I figure it should be a pretty simple board.
Is that schematic right? It says there's +48 on pin 1.

I was going to mod the other circuit with the 10K resistors with a transformer. I'm still going to try.

I love the trashiness of the way that one sounds.

I built the transformer version of the circuit I posted earlier in this thread. I knew going into this that I didn't know what I was doing, but I sure hate being proved right about such things. It's really hot. I'm not sure if there is some impedance matching issue, other part selection issues, or I just need to learn how to build a pad into the signal path, but it's too loud to be very useful for any moderately loud sources. If someone with actual electrical engineering knowledge can easily tell where I went wrong, I would love some advice...or a link to a good description of how I might add a pad to this, if that seems like the best solution. Anyway, here is the circuit as I have built it, and the list of individual components I used.

carbon-mic.png

R1: 493-11354-1-ND
PART: 493-11354-1-ND
MFG : Nichicon (VA) / UPW1H010MDD1TD
DESC: CAP ALUM 1UF 20% 50V RADIAL

C1:
PART: A131630CT-ND
MFG : TE Connectivity Passive Product (VA) / RR02J6K8TB
DESC: RES 6.8K OHM 5% 2W AXIAL

T1:
PART: 3475-AEI24-4410-ND
MFG : Allied Components International / AEI24-4410
DESC: EI24 Audio Transformer

Carbon1: OZ-01 Standard Transmitter

I'm not sure if I just found the issue, or just "an issue", but in making sure I'm including proper links, I think maybe my transmitter isn't actually a Carbon button transmitter. Under "Type" it's described as "Carbon-compatible Electret" which probably means...not a Carbon button.

I just ordered this one, to see if it behaves differently. T-1

If any other issue pops out and says "HERE I AM", I would love a set of eyes connected to a more educated brain.

I built the transformer version of the circuit I posted earlier in this thread. I knew going into this that I didn't know what I was doing, but I sure hate being proved right about such things. It's really hot. I'm not sure if there is some impedance matching issue, other part selection issues, or I just need to learn how to build a pad into the signal path, but it's too loud to be very useful for any moderately loud sources. If someone with actual electrical engineering knowledge can easily tell where I went wrong, I would love some advice...or a link to a good description of how I might add a pad to this, if that seems like the best solution. Anyway, here is the circuit as I have built it, and the list of individual components I used.

View attachment 92804

R1: 493-11354-1-ND
PART: 493-11354-1-ND
MFG : Nichicon (VA) / UPW1H010MDD1TD
DESC: CAP ALUM 1UF 20% 50V RADIAL

C1:
PART: A131630CT-ND
MFG : TE Connectivity Passive Product (VA) / RR02J6K8TB
DESC: RES 6.8K OHM 5% 2W AXIAL

T1:
PART: 3475-AEI24-4410-ND
MFG : Allied Components International / AEI24-4410
DESC: EI24 Audio Transformer

Carbon1: OZ-01 Standard Transmitter

I'm not sure if I just found the issue, or just "an issue", but in making sure I'm including proper links, I think maybe my transmitter isn't actually a Carbon button transmitter. Under "Type" it's described as "Carbon-compatible Electret" which probably means...not a Carbon button.

I just ordered this one, to see if it behaves differently. T-1

If any other issue pops out and says "HERE I AM", I would love a set of eyes connected to a more educated brain.
I had to do a small Mouser order to finish my ML12, so I added some caps and transformers to fool around with this design a bit more.

Curious to see the progress on your design.

I'm afraid that's the case. It's an electret capsule housed in an old-style standard mic.

I had to do a small Mouser order to finish my ML12, so I added some caps and transformers to fool around with this design a bit more.

Curious to see the progress on your design.
It's coming along. I have it working on a breadboard. I have the resistor placements for the U-pad attenuator, but haven't yet figured out the K-value for actual resistor values.
I have been working on a PCB in Kicad,. I got side-tracked when my 3D printer arrived and have been revising a housing for it based on the 1940s/50s Turner 33x, which looks kind of cool. Yesterday, I printed the retaining clip for the capsule and assembled the grill, capsule, and retaining clip and hooked it up to the breadboard. Yup...still works. Still sounds like hot garbage. I still need to add PCB mounts to the main housing, but should finish the PCB design first.

When I'm done, it's going to look really nice, and, I assume, create reasonable approximations of old vaudeville recordings.

Attachments

• PXL_20220512_221520296.jpg
    PXL_20220512_221520296.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20220512_212357675.jpg
    PXL_20220512_212357675.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20220509_032741985.jpg
    PXL_20220509_032741985.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220509_032733551.jpg
    PXL_20220509_032733551.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 13
It's coming along. I have it working on a breadboard. I have the resistor placements for the U-pad attenuator, but haven't yet figured out the K-value for actual resistor values.
I have been working on a PCB in Kicad,. I got side-tracked when my 3D printer arrived and have been revising a housing for it based on the 1940s/50s Turner 33x, which looks kind of cool. Yesterday, I printed the retaining clip for the capsule and assembled the grill, capsule, and retaining clip and hooked it up to the breadboard. Yup...still works. Still sounds like hot garbage. I still need to add PCB mounts to the main housing, but should finish the PCB design first.

When I'm done, it's going to look really nice, and, I assume, create reasonable approximations of old vaudeville recordings.
Looks great.

I have some ideas for making vintage looking art-deco-ish housings also.

Hot Garbage , ahahah
that little transformer is probably squarewaving due to core saturation .

Should be easy enough to figure out a resistive attenuator before the transformer primary for higher level sources , like amps and drum kits , simply switch it out when your dealing with voice or lower level sound sources.

Hi there, can you tell me what type of paint finish you used on the old Tuner carbon mic. Thanks

Attachments

• Turner Carbon Mic.jpg
    Turner Carbon Mic.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Turner Carbon Mic 2.jpg
    Turner Carbon Mic 2.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 0
Back