CD4053M same as ...BCM?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Script

Can't find a datasheet for the "M" extension. It's from TI.

Is it save to assume it is replaceable with CD4053BCM (Fairchild)?

Am hesitant cos not 100 percent sure it is the problem and I'd need to cut pins in replacement process, ultimately destroying the IC.

Any advice on the ICs themselves?

Multiplexer, yes. And pin compatible when comparing datasheet of BCM variant to schematics.

But read a thread here mentioning there might be slight differences leading to oscillation and what not. That thread the reason I'm hesitant... Classic case of reading too much ?

I think you'll find that the 'M' suffix refers to the various SMD packages .. the 'N' suffix is for the older style DIP packages.

Multiplexer, yes. And pin compatible when comparing datasheet of BCM variant to schematics.

But read a thread here mentioning there might be slight differences leading to oscillation and what not. That thread the reason I'm hesitant... Classic case of reading too much ?
CMOS are the most analog digital chips. There can be subtle differences due to manufacturer processes. Check the data sheets.

Proper applications should not notice the tiny differences.

JR

The suffix after the B denotes package type - that is what’s marked on the chip vs what the part number is - BM will have M on the chip likely 0.5mm pins - the C variant from OnSemi/Fairchild I think has narrower pins 0.2mm. The manufacturer part numbers are for ordering denoting package outline - DIP SOIC or SOP TSSOP etc. and then also additional numbers whether in tube or on reel and reel lengths. Different manufacturers use different ordering suffix quantity coding but there are standard codes used by all. Inherently they are the same IC. Just look at the end of the datasheets for TI and OnSemi for the package outlines/footprint.

One useful - and I think unique? - feature among these 4000 series CMOS multiplexers was the ability for the analogue signal path to be biased with a +/- supply, to maximise the signal amplitude capability.
The logic control signals however remained as standard VDD to VSS levels.....

One useful - and I think unique? - feature among these 4000 series CMOS multiplexers was the ability for the analogue signal path to be biased with a +/- supply, to maximise the signal amplitude capability.
The logic control signals however remained as standard VDD to VSS levels.....
I started using CMOS transfer gate technology to switch line level audio signals inside consoles back in the early 80s. Didn't have these fancy models back then. Read the data sheet but the on resistance of the TG is affected by the control voltage signals, so more there is better.

JR

Well replacing a 4053 on a Alan Smart compressor I have here just fixed it.

So yes, this family of Mulitplexers do fail in the field.
I've replaced quite a few now, they are a known suspect.

Replaced it earlier today over here. BCM variant works just fine.

(Aside: Didn't fix the problem here but that's OK...)

Latest posts

Back