CE marking compliance

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting discussion here.
The data sheets for off the shelf SMPS units are interesting and give a clue to what is needed. The concept of 'bunging an off the shelf' unit into a box is rather limited as actual compliance with full regulations falls to the user(installer). The test methods used by the SMPS manufacturer are documented. There are various environmental advantages and disadvantages of the move to switchmode supplies/ Dumb blocks of iron with some copper wire wrapped around it have a certain charm compared to sophisticated SMPS designs including power factor correction as the output noises can be quite complicated requiring significant filtering. Mind you I believe power factor correcting a 400 Watt 'conventional' supply (transformer/rectifier regulator setup) can be significantly expensive.
By the way, anyone have any thoughts about sum and difference frequencies when using multiple switchmode 'modules' in a 3 or 4 rail (typical audio unit) design?
Studio Sound magazine (as was) had a couple of articles discussing 'excess distortion' on mixing desks using early switchmode supplies (compared to the usually supplied 'linear' power units.
Regards and all the best to all for the holiday season
Matt S
PS, don't mention Brexit, where UK certification will be another kettle of fish, or is that no fish?

Hello,

Instead of opening a new thread I thought I would ask here.

Does anyone know what are the requirements for a 500 series modules? Apart from EMC and Rohs, does it also fall under the LVD directive?

The initial question was made here with an answer from HP200CD but it's still a bit unclear to me.

Thanks!

A 500 series module is a) a component and b) operating at voltages below those specified by the LVD so it is exempt. The thing you plug it into most probably does need to comply with LDV.

Cheers

Ian

This was my impression too. However, after doing a bit more research I noticed that SSL claims on their manual for a 500 eq (I think violet) that it complies with LVD.

I would imagine that they know what they're talking about.

Nah, it means that it should comply and it does. Here on page 3

CE EU Low Voltage directive (LVD) 2014/35/EU,
EU Electromagnetic Compatibility directive (EMC) 2014/30/EU.
The Restriction of the use of certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (RoHS2) 2011/65/EU.

Perhaps merlin could give us some hints? :)

Nah, it means that it should comply and it does. Here on page 3

CE EU Low Voltage directive (LVD) 2014/35/EU,
EU Electromagnetic Compatibility directive (EMC) 2014/30/EU.
The Restriction of the use of certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (RoHS2) 2011/65/EU.

Perhaps merlin could give us some hints? :)

As it was mentioned in the older posts in this thread, to comply with CE in many cases a self-declaration is sufficient. There you state that you comply with the requirements of a CE label. As Ian pointed out, you have to back up your statement with data. The starting point is, that you perform a risk analysis to identify which possible risks you expose with your design. See this link: EU/CE . Each product category has its own set of requirements to be proven to declare that the product is safe. Generally it is advised to use harmonised standards. In electronics, for EMC for example EN 61000. There are a few hidden caveats in the whole story:
  • By bringing your product to market under a CE declaration, you take full responsibility for everything related to your product
  • You are required to have all documentation nice and clean before you bring your product to market
  • You are required to keep the documentation available for 10 years from the date the product is placed to market
This means that you should have proper configuration management for your designs, meaning that you can always track which documents correspond with which piece of hardware. This sounds easy, but in reality it can be complicated.
Key parts of your documentation are:
  • CE declaration
  • Technical data (Schematics, Drawings, BOM, Specification)
  • User manual including the safety/hazard warning section -> it is good practice to include a disclaimer to protect yourself against improper usage of the equipment
To further back up your declaration you should have the following data available:
  • Acceptance test procedures and reports for each unit
  • Design verification data (test procedures and test protocols) from your development phase

See the following link for more informatio regarding the CE declaration: Blue guide (EU)

Nowadays RoHS is not the only thing you have to consider when doing electronics, you have to follow the REACH regulations. The problem with REACH is that the list of forbidden substances is updated regularly, more and more of the "classic" components and well known manufacturing processes are affected by REACH.

I hope this is helpful, and does not generate too much additional confusion ;-)

Latest news from the Guardian newspaper today:

The UK will retain the EU’s product safety mark indefinitely, in the latest climbdown from proposed post-Brexit changes, after the government bowed to pressure from industry and manufacturers.

The CE (Conformité Européenne) mark is used by the bloc to certify that a wide range of items – from electrical goods and construction materials to medical devices and toys – meet safety standards.

The safety marking had been expected to be replaced by a new UKCA (UK Conformity Assessed) mark for goods sold in Great Britain from the end of 2024, after several extensions to the deadline for the changeover.

Common sense has prevailed at last - there is surely no need to duplicate 'standards'.........

Latest posts

Back